Mountain Project Logo

Pilot Mountain Parking Lot

Original Post
J D · · SC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 25

Are Chicken Bone and Right Chicken Bone (Pilot Error) able to be set up for top rope from the actual parking lot or must one lead the routes to set up an anchor? If reachable from the parking lot would it be climber's left of the built platform at the top?

TIA

Walter Edly · · Thomasville NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Parking lot is the area the routes are in, it is climber's left of the overlook at the actual parking lot.  Think they are both bolted and as you sign in at the board there is a gate to the cliff to access that area.   Link to guidebook:  http://dev-ccc7.pantheonsite.io/sites/default/files/PilotGuide_v2_online_booklet.pdf

Walter Edly wrote: Parking lot is the area the routes are in, it is climber's left of the overlook at the actual parking lot.  Think they are both bolted and as you sign in at the board there is a gate to the cliff to access that area.   Link to guidebook:  http://dev-ccc7.pantheonsite.io/sites/default/files/PilotGuide_v2_online_booklet.pdf

Are there bolts accessible without leading that I should set up when I leave the parking area or do I need to hike down and lead? 

Dave Baker · · Wiltshire · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 303
Jay Dee wrote:

Are there bolts accessible without leading that I should set up when I leave the parking area or do I need to hike down and lead? 

You can set a top rope on them without leading first.

Be aware they are very popular, so be careful when lowering your ropes.

Thanks

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

They are 2 of the longer leads at Pilot and well worth doing that way. You can easily top rope them after leading.

Ian C · · MA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 121

Brian -- maybe he wants to top-rope solo?

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Most of the routes at Pilot are TR accessible.  Cannot stress enough: Get there early if its a good day and on the weekend.

Thanks for replying everyone. Not soloing. Climbing with family. I may lead it but was wondering in the event that an injury I'm still dealing with has me not feeling right.

I've seen Pilot on busy days. Early is definitely key. We'll start in Lil Amp first and hope for parking lot when finishing up. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Pilot Mountain Parking Lot"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started