Mountain Project Logo

Calcaneus Surgery ORIF Success Stories?

pete petem75 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Doctor office call me ,moved my next appointment 2 days later ( 9 days now) was told the actual surgery doc needs to see me when they take the hard cast of ,wonder why?
they cut out hard cast x-ray again ,clean dead skin/leg then in boot?
also this dam leg in hard cast starts itching  so always something, also leg gets smaller day by day seems..but i can move /curl my tows almost to the max ,,
Hey Steve speedy recovery.

God bless you all,

Bryan Stewart · · McKinney, TX · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Good sound Jeff and getting off the pain pills.  It will be a good change since moving forward but just if needed tolerate a tad of course and be lazy a few is all. and still keep it iced.

Hey Bryan u can do it,if I can..... hopefully u get u leg fully normal now.

Good bless you all,

Jeff Lower · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0
Steve sleo@global.co.za wrote: Great going Jeff! I hope the pain subsides by tomorrow. It's such a big mind thing to get off the pain meds. I'm envious, but don't have the guts to have my hardware removed. Unlike you, my hardware isn't bothering me. The bottom part of my leg is tight, but walking is OK.
I played 18 holes of golf yesterday and walked the whole way. Even shot 3 under my handicap!! It'll never be the same, but  I'm pleased with the progress after 10 month. Positive thoughts and small victories.......
Are those all screws? 

Plus a template plate. That was rubbing under tendons.... I hear it's usually pain relieving,  your doing good for ten months

Small victory,I get to drive my automatic car around ,my other stick not it's normal , kinda holding my injured leg so don't touch the floor,and about a week away to my next doc fallow up hopefully his gonna put me in the boot.. 
Hope everyone is doing well to.

God bless you all,

pete petem75 wrote: Small victory,I get to drive my automatic car around ,my other stick not it's normal , kinda holding my injured leg so don't touch the floor,and about a week away to my next doc fallow up hopefully his gonna put me in the boot..
Hope everyone is doing well to.

God bless you all,

SMALL VICTORIES BABY! 

I've been off the painkillers for a while now happy to report things are fine.
Steve sleo@global.co.za · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

Nice going Pete. Drive carefully!!
Good news Jeff. Are you walking now??

Steve sleo@global.co.za wrote: Nice going Pete. Drive carefully!!
Good news Jeff. Are you walking now??

Hi Steve It's a  supercharged...but ill try.

Other car its stick not any better,its turbocharged. ;-)

God bless you all,
Jeff Lower wrote:

SMALL VICTORIES BABY! 

I've been off the painkillers for a while now happy to report things are fine.

Nice Jeff , looks like time its key....

God bless you all,

Some update on my end ,got hard cast removed today,  not to much dead skin but still some..doc said x-ray looking good, got the nasa boot , and set me up for therapy tomorrow 1st (2 times this week) then about 2 times  week fallowing...my next doc fallow up in 4 weeks, today after hard cast removed was able to move the toes no problem , leg up and down about 1 inch, but could not move at all left to right ,i tryed and i can't do it feels like i forgot how to...so depressing, demoralizing about that...  at this stage dont know if is normal or not..

God bless you all,
  • Well done Pete. Progress! Don't stress about left to right as the PT will sort that out. I didn't have that but we're all different. Are you allowed to take the boot off to sleep and bath or shower? Keep focus on the small victories! 

Hi Steve , thanks for quick response,yes doc give okay to sleep without boot and shower,but no move left to right ,and believe me I try hard .... tomorrow I start PT I'm so down about it don't know if normal,also leg still big...
Also was first time I talk to him after surgery,he told me it's normal where I'm at and everything looks good (but then again all docs will probably say that)  and he told me all 4 screws are in the heel ,..

God bless you all,

pete petem75 wrote: Hi Steve , thanks for quick response,yes doc give okay to sleep without boot and shower,but no move left to right ,and believe me I try hard .... tomorrow I start PT I'm so down about it don't know if normal,also leg still big...
Also was first time I talk to him after surgery,he told me it's normal where I'm at and everything looks good (but then again all docs will probably say that)  and he told me all 4 screws are in the heel ,..

God bless you all,

Well I can tell you're worried about your left to right. And you should be, but just a little. For now I'll tell you you went through a traumatic injury that definitely caused nerve damage and a little bit more. Your leg being stuck the way it was since your injury causes your foot muscles to atrophy pretty quickly. When you get into Physical Therapy try and be patient, I know it's frustrating. When you're doing your exercises I found it helpful to do the same exact movement with my good foot. That kind of helps with muscle memory I guess.. 

As far as me I got all my stitches taken out. My incision isn't killed by any means but it's sticking together. It's as attractive as a pig in lipstick.. but I don't really care. Taking things slow as there is no sense in pushing it. Dealing with workers comp is probably the biggest stress right now..

Steve and Pete and Bryan, I hope you're all well.

Nice going Jeff. Don't worry about the lip stick pig, nobody sees it!
Pete, I still struggle to move my foot left to right and I've been at it for 7 months! it does move and I can rotate and do the alphabet, but movement is distinctly restricted. I really don't know if I will ever have full movement of my foot, but I keep the PT exercises going in the hope .. . . .
You definitely have muscle atrophy, but PT should help  . . . . . . and time! Apart from all the other exercises I do, I also stretch my achilles by "pushing" against the wall. Good luck bud and keep us posted.

First thing first: Im happy today ,i woke up this morning ( some people didn't ) small joke ;-)
Thanks Steve, Jeff ,Bryan and all the others who share and help others with this injury...i really mean it.
Jeff youre so right about so much stuff ,including leg getting small (muscles loss)..
Again thanks to all of you who share info with  this lifetime changing injury,..
Last night  first time in 2 monts i got to sleep without  cast or splinters,,,feels so good ,
kinda don't wanna go back in boot now but i have to....
Man how we take things for granted  every day but when we loose them .....
About to go to my 1st PT in few hours ,will see how it goes....

God bless you all,

Bryan Stewart · · McKinney, TX · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Yes sir it is a very life changing ordeal.  And you never realized how important your feet are as well.  But glad your getting to the point where all those small victories begin to add up.

Came from my first PT ,they some how got me to move little left to right very little but its moving so it's hope,was told in this injury the hardest recovery ill be the ROM , left to right  period..and few others things ,I still have allot to catch up like curling the toes down  and so on,......was there for one hour,came home and pushed about 7hrs more  of rehab today...PT give me programs for home they seem simple but hard to do now..so I'll be doing them 5,times more than what they asked Me..
I'ts good to hear from you Bryan hope u getting better u self.
That's all for now ..

God bless you all,

Good to hear Pete, but please don't overdue the exercises, You don't wanna cause any damage nor go backwards . . .
Keep us posted

Steve sleo@global.co.za wrote: Good to hear Pete, but please don't overdue the exercises, You don't wanna cause any damage nor go backwards . . .
Keep us posted

What he said.

Hello all ,so you saying to just stay within PT schedule? I guess ill do that , 3 times a day (8 exercises) its what they said to do the programs home...after all i just got off the cast one day ago so i guess its normal for leg to be where it is and ill just go easy on it for now.Thanks Bryan/ Steve/Jeff

One of the screws bottom heel.

leg  still swollen
 still cleaning dead skin off but  not only
4 screws in heel ,some cut  to about 2 1/2 inch ,no
idea why doc had to cut there....
God bless you all,
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Calcaneus Surgery ORIF Success Stories?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started