Mountain Project Logo

New and Experienced Climbers over 50 #7

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

Yea!!!

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

There are plenty of women climbing (and leading) trad.  I see lots every time I climb at a popular Gunks crag.

The UK is arguably the epicenter of trad crag climbing.  Lori, you might be interested in this: https://www.womenstradfestival.co.uk/ .  Stateside, there's Chicks with Picks, https://www.chickswithpicks.net/programs/?filter=rock-climbing .  I suspect that you'd meet a lot more, ahem, mature women at the UK Festival.  I don't think they got the memo that climbing is only for youngsters.

Lori Milas · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 240
rgold wrote: There are plenty of women climbing (and leading) trad.  I see lots every time I climb at a popular Gunks crag.

The UK is arguably the epicenter of trad crag climbing.  Lori, you might be interested in this: https://www.womenstradfestival.co.uk/ .  Stateside, there's Chicks with Picks, https://www.chickswithpicks.net/programs/?filter=rock-climbing .  I suspect that you'd meet a lot more, ahem, mature women at the UK Festival.  I don't think they got the memo that climbing is only for youngsters.

It's a lovely thing about this forum... if you ask a question, you get answers.  

I don't know if you've ever ridden a skittish horse right up to a place where he absolutely rears up and will  not move forward.  I had a horse who was terrified of any running water, so if we approached a stream he just went into full reverse--and would throw me if I pushed it.  So you have to apply some patience and psychology.  

I've hit that place.  Actually, I've been there for a long time.  I think the ticket out of that place is acquiring the skill and learning you talked about yesterday.  Doing a deep dive within, I just don't like to feel helpless.  So, I packed up my ropes and gear yesterday and headed for our quarry to re-start anchor building and rappelling.  I'll be out with Chris tomorrow, and will ask him not to let me off the hook... fun as it is to have him do all the work.  Maybe he can sit and have coffee while I build the anchors this time and get myself down from a pitch.  

Cossondra, I really appreciate your thoughts on this.  I think you have it exactly right... repetition, doing things at home (or nearby) until it's second nature.  Thanks!
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

You've said you want to find some 5.6s that are like,  5.12s well, there are those & 5.4 slabs like that in the Gunks
I'm sure All the ole` girls will show you around if you make plans to come east

& we will avoid stream crossings 

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Madonna’s attitude seems appropriate for this thread
Ageism in NYT feature​​​

dragons · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 847

I'll make a pilgrimage to the Gunks to climb with you if you ever get out this way, Lori!

Suburban Roadside - I don't think of Gunks as slab. It's face and jug climbing.

Mark E Dixon wrote: Madonna’s attitude seems appropriate for this thread
Ageism in NYT feature

“Stop thinking, just live your life and don’t be influenced by society trying to make you feel some type of way about your age or what it is you’re supposed to be doing.”

From Instagram:
You cant fix society
And its endless need to diminish,
Disparage or degrade that which they know is good. Especially strong independent women. The journalist who wrote this article spent days and hours and months with me and was invited into a world which many people dont get to see, but chose to focus on trivial and superficial matters such as the ethnicity of my stand in or the fabric of my curtains and never ending comments about my age which would never have been mentioned had I been a MAN!

Yay Madonna!

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

Update from Vail. Got here early for front row standing at the semifinals. Now we’re just sitting here for 3 hours to hold our spots for the finals.

Watching these climbers up close and personal is amazing. Comp bouldering is 50% parkour, yet these climbers have completely adapted.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Last weekend, next trip coming up soon!

Soooo fun! Super easy. Lots of firsts on this trip, too!

Best, Helen

Mark Orsag · · Omaha, NE · Joined May 2013 · Points: 916
wendy weiss wrote: Update from Vail. Got here early for front row standing at the semifinals. Now we’re just sitting here for 3 hours to hold our spots for the finals.

Watching these climbers up close and personal is amazing. Comp bouldering is 50% parkour, yet these climbers have completely adapted.

Envious...I train regularly with a Youth D nationally ranked  USAC climber. She is a prodigy and her skill level,strength, and maturity are amazing. Her indoor competition skills translate well to the outdoors as well— she has sent 12b at Ten Sleep in Wyoming and Shelf in Colorado. And she is an 8 y/o! She won her region in sport/toprope and is about to go through divisionals to get to nationals. Where she and other super-talented climbers of this next generation end up pushing the sport (and the addition of climbing to the Olympics is a huge driver in this) in terms of level will be interesting for this oldster to see..

Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 191

Just found out a dear friend from California fell to her death yesterday evening at Yosemite.  Her climbing partner, another dear friend form a foreign county is decimated.  Working on getting him the support and resources he needs.  I have no details, that will all come out in time. First I have to quit freaking out and get my head together.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Aw geez, I am so sorry, Dallas. Whatever happened, my complete sympathy to all concerned, family, friends, first responders, and the community, near and far.

Best, Helen

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

R.I.P(: I looked it up, nothing on the net. My condolences. Update I still can't find any info about a death in the Valley in the last 48 hrs.

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

Dallas, how awful. so sad to hear this. Words fail.

Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 191
Jeffrey Constine wrote: R.I.P(: I looked it up, nothing on the net. My condolences. Update I still can't find any info about a death in the Valley in the last 48 hrs.

I tried to look it up also.  Too soon. Less than 24 hours. It's doubly difficult for me to comprehend.  I think most of you will agree I am bit anal about safety etc, she would call me on the slightest transgression. Very experienced, trad leader, 1000's of climbs. Our age.  Incomprehensible to me at this point. Apologies for no names etc., investigation, family notifications, and just trying to help my friend with his grief.  

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

Dallas, so very sorry...
These types of things are just horrific, whatever the cause. Sometimes it's rock fall, sometimes one second of inattention. Whatever. It’s always heartbreaking. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I'm sorry to hear that, Dallas. Always so hard to lose a friend. 

So sorry, Dallas!

Randy · · Lassitude 33 · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,279

Dallas,
I am very sorry to hear about your friend's death. Hope her partner gets the support and sympathy he certainly needs.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Dallas.... My condolences to you, the Family of your friend....
sad RIP

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started