Mountain Project Logo

Looking for new climbing partner near Portland

Original Post
David Staron · · Lake Oswego, OR · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 150

Hello!

My name is Dave Staron.  Moved to the Portland area last summer with a friend who was my main climbing partner.  He's since moved back to Montana so I need to branch out and find some new climbing buddies! I'm comfortable leading sport up to 10c/d looking to reach 11s this year.  I also started leading trad last year and have led up to 5.8+, but really looking to get as much mileage in the 5.7-5.8 range as I can this year for the experience.  Let me know if you're in the area an interested in climbing! Thanks!

Sandy Dash · · Beaverton, OR · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 40

Hey David, I started rock climbing 2 years ago. Have led multi pitch sport 5.9s at Smith and upto 5.8 trad at Ozone (far side), Teiton, WA, Smith etc. I would like to comfortably lead 5.9 cracks by the end of the season. Would you like to meet at PG or PRG sometime ?

Gwillim · · Milwaukie, Or · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 48

David (and Sandy),

I suggest climbing at Madrone Wall when it opens (July 16). There are over 30 trad routes 10a and under there. I think about 20 are 5.8 and below.  I will be going out there regularly once it opens.

I lead about the same as you in sport, maybe a smidge less. I'm comfortable on 5.9 trad and starting to get into low 10s. I pretty much only climb trad.  FYI, my circle of climbers is all pretty safety conscious, no drinking / weed while climbing, safety checks every time, etc. Some people aren't into that, but if you're ok climbing with squares, you're welcome to join in.

I also climb at Carver after work somewhat regularly. It's a small wall but there are a couple good practice routes.

-Ryan

Rico C · · Hillsboro · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Hello all ,

just seeing this posts and wanted to add something as I've also been looking for some more climbing partners.
I've been climbing almost on daily basis at a gym where I work and been going outside around Portland  ( Carver, Broughton Bluff mostly ) and a few trips to Smith Rock ( where I will be as well on the week of July 4th in case anyone will be there as well ). 
I'd like to expand the circle of people I climb with and would love to get to know other climbers interested in outdoor climb. I'm fine in leading sport 5.8/5.9 on rock..depending on the route 5.10..I don't have much experience yet with Trad but it is something I'm working on via books, videos and classes with guides etc.
I'm also very conscious about safety in general and like to leave the mind altering substances off the crag.
It would be nice to connect in the near future...
thanks
Enrico

Joe Falcone wrote: David, Sandy, Gwillin, enrico
I’m out of Corvallis and would like to check out some of the climbing around Portland. Have been climbing for about  14 years lead around 5.9/10 mostly trad. I have a few partners but always up to meet new people and climb new areas. 

Hi Joe,give me a shout here or on private message and we can look at meeting up. I'm familiar with a couple of locations her in Portland, going to explore more ares soon too.

I'm buys this Saturday and free on Sunday...next week I'm heading to Smith Rock with a friend for a few days. Weekends works best for me to climb outside, I've been taking my 6 yrs old son to the climbing gym and planning to take him outdoor as well soon. But I can organize to come out solo too.
cheers

Enrico
Joe Falcone wrote: David, Sandy, Gwillim, enrico
I’m out of Corvallis and would like to check out some of the climbing around Portland. Have been climbing for about  14 years lead around 5.9/10 mostly trad. I have a few partners but always up to meet new people and climb new areas. 

Hey Joe (and everyone)

I'm out of town next week.  When I get back I'll check back into this thread.  Madrone Wall opens July 16.  It's quite close to my house so I'll be out there a lot, especially on weekdays while we have enough daylight. I'll reach out to the people who've expressed interest in climbing and see if we can get some stuff going.

Gwillim wrote:

Hey Joe (and everyone)

I'm out of town next week.  When I get back I'll check back into this thread.  Madrone Wall opens July 16.  It's quite close to my house so I'll be out there a lot, especially on weekdays while we have enough daylight. I'll reach out to the people who've expressed interest in climbing and see if we can get some stuff going.

Hi Ryan,

I'd like to check out Madrone this summer, let's connect when your are back and we'll figure out something....I'd like to take my son with me, I'll have a look online if there are routes that are on the easier side for him ...he's 6, he's got some gym climb experience only..

cheers
Brian Greene · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

Hey all, just did my first outdoor trip about a month ago and am hooked. My normal climbing partner isn't always available and can't talk my wife into belaying me! Hoping to meet some new people to get some sends in. First trip I lead up to 5.9, could probably do some 5.10's depending on the route but really looking to just get in a lot of time on rock for the rest of the season. I live next to PG if anyone wants to meet up around PDX first! Please reach out here or DM and we can go from there.

Best,
Brian

Brad Larson · · portland · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Hey, I'm another Portland climber, always seeking new partners. Climbed a fair amount in my 20's, took a decade + off, and have now returned. Looking to get a lot of moderate  sport mileage in to get my lead head back, and start leading very easy trad this summer. Can climb on weekdays, weekends, whenever.

Enrico, I'm camping near Sisters with a non-climbing friend around the 4th. May make a day trip to Smith Friday or Saturday, if you're looking for a partner.

Brad

brad larson wrote: Hey, I'm another Portland climber, always seeking new partners. Climbed a fair amount in my 20's, took a decade + off, and have now returned. Looking to get a lot of moderate  sport mileage in to get my lead head back, and start leading very easy trad this summer. Can climb on weekdays, weekends, whenever.

Enrico, I'm camping near Sisters with a non-climbing friend around the 4th. May make a day trip to Smith Friday or Saturday, if you're looking for a partner.

Brad

Hey Brad...I was back to Portland on Friday, we had two amazing days of cool weather at Smith Rock then on the 4th it started to get the usual hot and managed to climb half day only because we were a bit toasted from the previous 2 days fo hard work. Alway spectacular view...

I'll make sure to post up in advance next climbing trips maybe we can catch up, most likely looking at local climbing areas
Alex Milton · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hi Ryan, 

I work right by carver/madrone and would like to get out after work regularly. 5.10 sport leader but breaking into 5.8 trad so very excited for Madrone. Motivated learner, safety oriented, would love to meet up sometime. Can meet as early as 3 any weekday

Hey Alex,

Pretty sure I climbed with you at Wankers. I also live not far too from Carver/Madrone, and can meet by 3 on weekdays. Leading like 5.8 sport currently and just wetting my feet in trad. Eager to climb with more skilled partners. 

Alex Milton · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Brad,

You're right! I think you sent me an email afterward that I accidentally deleted, sorry about that! Let's climb on a weekday soon. Not much in sub 5.8 sport leads around there but I can set up some easier gear lines or we can flail around on some harder sport lines while you get dialed in.

Alex,

That'd be great! I'm away this weekend (Leavenworth!) and most of next week, and then I'll get in touch.

Planning to be at Madrone wall this weekend 7/20. Who else is in ?

Spencer Simons · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

I’m coming up to Portland this Friday through Sunday, want to show/belay some good sport routes in the area while I’m there?

Sandy, Dave, Enrico, Joe, Alex, etc,
It looks like I'm going to be it at Madrone today about 5 with a couple of friends. Feel free to come by if you're able.

@Sandy, I might be able to climb this weekend, what day/time are you thinking? I don't have a big window but might be able to make it work.

Change of plans, am going to climb "Backbone ridge" on Dragontail peak c2c on Sat. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Looking for new climbing partner near Portland"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started