Mountain Project Logo

Let's try this again, FEMALE climbing partner/mentor

Original Post
Courtney Hood · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Hey there, I made a post a couple months back seeking a climbing partner/mentor.

I am looking for a female age 18-50 to help me get started climbing, and then to be my climbing partner after I learn some basics. I am brand new to climbing, have no experience or equipment. I have a vehicle, and I have the financial means to purchase equipment. I really think I will fall in love with climbing, and would love to get some help and advice.

ANYONE, if you are a seasoned climber and have spare equipment that you could give away, or give me a good price on, I would love for you to contact me. Also, if you have any advice on where to start, what climbing gym is the best, starter equipment, etc. you can also shoot me an email.

Email: Courtney.Hood7@gmail.com

Looking forward to hearing back from you lovely humans,
Courtney (:

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

Getting some experience might help,  "I really think I will fall in love with climbing" is cool but strange. Hire a guide for a day or half day then you will have some experience.

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

Do you have a gym membership? If not, I'd start there. Probably a good way to both train and meet people.

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 410
Courtney Hood wrote: I am looking for a female age 18-50 to help me get started climbing, and then to be my climbing partner after I learn some basics.
Why have an upper age limit of 50?

I have the financial means to purchase equipment.

ANYONE, if you are a seasoned climber and have spare equipment that you could give away, or give me a good price on, I would love for you to contact me. 

Seems a strange ask for someone to give you free equipment after you say you have the financial means to purchase equipment. Harnesses are pretty cheap and better to purchase new anyway.

Agree with Wendy - you might consider joining a gym, taking a class or two there on how to belay, decide if it's for you and get set up with personal equipment (shoes, harness, helmet) at least. This will make you a more attractive climbing partner/mentee. I'm always happy to take beginner climbers out, but you need to demonstrate some belay skills.
Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

You could do no better than attend a climbing with ​Chick with Picks. ​​​

Hamed Jasem · · Tallinn, EE · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

go to a gym, you’ll meet people and get useful experience. also, I think strictly wanting a female is backwards, but that’s just me

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Hamed Jasem wrote: go to a gym, you’ll meet people and get useful experience. also, I think strictly wanting a female is backwards, but that’s just me

It's not backwards at all. Do you read the news?!

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Try attending one of Denver Social Climb's gym nights and you can meet some people. Then, you can post on their page for your mentor.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/denversocialclimb/

I would suggest you purchase at the very least climbing shoes, a harness, and a belay device with locking carabiner. 

Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

I second the local community, but to be honest it sounds like what you really need is a climbing guide. They will provide the shoes/harness/helmet, will give you a good taste of what climbing will most likely look like and is a low social commitment.

m Mobes wrote: Getting some experience might help,  "I really think I will fall in love with climbing" is cool but strange. Hire a guide for a day or half day then you will have some experience.

I just used to climb trees all the time and when I would go hiking I would off trail and climb the smaller rock structures back in Illinois

wendy weiss wrote: Do you have a gym membership? If not, I'd start there. Probably a good way to both train and meet people.

Yes, I just got a gym membership to Ubergrippen

GDavis Davis wrote: I second the local community, but to be honest it sounds like what you really need is a climbing guide. They will provide the shoes/harness/helmet, will give you a good taste of what climbing will most likely look like and is a low social commitment.
What is a good company to find a climbing guide?
Mark Hammond · · Eldorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 466

You could call the Colorado Mountain School and request Norie or Mia, they are both great. Check out the website first if you like. Disclaimer: I work for the school (but I'm not Norie or Mia).

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
Mark Hammond wrote: You could call the Colorado Mountain School and request Norie or Mia, they are both great. Check out the website first if you like. Disclaimer: I work for the school (but I'm not Norie or Mia).

I have no affiliation with CMS and fully support this rec

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380
Mark Hammond wrote: You could call the Colorado Mountain School and request Norie or Mia, they are both great. Check out the website first if you like. Disclaimer: I work for the school (but I'm not Norie or Mia).

+1

Hamed Jasem · · Tallinn, EE · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

don’t get a guide...go to a gym and meet people....

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

Better yet go to a crag and meet people.

Ryan Arment · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 71
Hamed Jasem wrote: don’t get a guide...go to a gym and meet people....

Certified Guides or Instructors are a much safer and reliable. You might make some great friends in a gym but there's no way of knowing (if you yourself are a beginner) that your new friends from the gym are teaching you the best practices.
You might also reach out to Laura Capps at Denver Mountain guides, another top notch female guide. 

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

An alternative to simply connecting with a female climbing mentor or learning through a guide / guide service ...

As Mark H mentioned, consider taking climb courses through your local gym and / or climbing club. Since Denver has such a large metro area, you can probably choose a course with content that suites your interest. “Climbing” is expressed in many different ways.

You’ll probably meet more people with a like interest than you would with a guide, and more quickly than semi-randomly in a gym.  And the protection practices will likely be something you’ll value for a life time.

Lane Mathis · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 216
Courtney Hood wrote: What is a good company to find a climbing guide?

Denver Mountain Guides for sure. 

FiveFun RopeGun · · bowling green, ohio · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 1

Denver mountain guides,  alpenglow collective,  gym membership, buy shoes, harnes,  a chalk bag, an atc and a locking carabiner. your local gym will have resources for meeting climbing partners.  Hiring a guide will get you safely on real rock quickly so you can figure out if you're into it. Alpenglow collective is a man free group dedicated to helping climbers grow in a community.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Let's try this again, FEMALE climbing partner/m…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started