Mountain Project Logo

Back in my day they threw grenades at us while we were climbing...

Original Post
Jonathan Brown · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Relevant story for today.

https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memorials/europe/pointe-du-hoc-ranger-monument

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Man o man .... those old dads were tough as nails!

Respect 

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Great read. I met a man at the local marina named Paul Williams a few years ago who was an original member of the 10th Mtn. Division.

He was there during the siege to free the Po river valley. We ended up fishing together a few times. His stories were amazing. After freeing the valley he said the troops were drunk for days from all the wine and bread the appreciative locals gave them.
Sadly he passed a couple of years ago.

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262

Back when men were men. Always love reading WWII history. Thanks for sharing

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Brotherhood of the rope.
Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

Here's a story that was published in Appalachia (the journal of the Appalachian Mtn Club, Boston, MA)
Back in March 1944 (possibly April, I don't remember) "Ad" Carter (editor of the AAJ for decades) and some other Boston-type climbers were entertaining a high-level French soldier and his aid.  When it was discovered the Frenchman was a bit iof a climber they decided to take the train up from Boston to the White Mountains and climb (winter hike) Mt Washington. Wherever the aid went he carried a briefcase, and decided not to do the climb, but just sit things out at the AMC's base lodge, "Pinkham Notch Camp".
The climb went successfully (Not a minor accomplishment in early spring conditions, even today, forget in 1944).  
Upon arriving back in Boston it was discovered that the aid had left the briefcase on the train. The Frenchman was really worried. However a quick ride back to Boston's north station found the train still in the station, and the briefcase aboard.
A few years later the AMC/AAC-ers learned that the briefcase contained the Free French copy of the plans for Overlord !  Had it not been recovered, the operation probably would have been delayed seriously.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Back in my day they threw grenades at us while…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started