Mountain Project Logo

Climbing near Kalispell, MT

Original Post
Jason Schmidt · · Cache Me Ousside · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 15

I'm going to be in Kalispell, MT for 3 weeks in July. Which crags are recommended to hit up? I plan on some scrambles in Glacier, and hitting up Stone Hill. 

Stuart Ritchie · · Aurora, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,725

Blackleaf Canyon. Exceptional limestone climbing.

Jason Mills · · Kalispell, MT · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 3,901

Jason, I live in Kalispell. Let me know when you're around and I can make you a tick list or I'd be happy to show you around ... there's about 800 routes within an hour and a half of Kali that don't/haven't/won't make it on MP.

And, yes, Blackleaf is pretty dang amazing (four hours from Kali, though).

Lee Chandler · · Phoenix · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 545
mills101 Mills wrote: Jason, I live in Kalispell. Let me know when you're around and I can make you a tick list or I'd be happy to show you around ... 

I will be in the area during late June and July as well. I would be grateful for a similar offer.

Lee Chandler wrote:

I will be in the area during late June and July as well. I would be grateful for a similar offer.

Lee, shoot me a message when you're in the area or on the way. I'd be happy to show you around. 

I live in Kalispell -- the largest cragging area is POR, about 45 minutes away, 250-ish routes; Stone Hill is about an hour and a half and has 600+ routes (A+ cragging). 

There's lousy cragging at Kila (all on MP) about 15 minutes from Kali and then some weirder outliers from there (McGregor Massifs and Lost Wall, both on MP) in the area. 

mills101 Mills wrote:

Lee, shoot me a message when you're in the area or on the way. I'd be happy to show you around. 

Thank you so much, I will be in touch over next few weeks.

Sweet. I was wondering if there were some hidden gems not on MP. Thanks. 

“Hidden,” maybe if you’re not local, “gems” probably only if you’re local. :) 

I like his name too :) 

Keigan Knutson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Hey people have been bolting lots of new routes by Kila so if you're just looking for a short day off climbing while not having to drive far from Kali then check it out.

Keigan Knutson wrote: Hey people have been bolting lots of new routes by Kila so if you're just looking for a short day off climbing while not having to drive far from Kali then check it out.

Cool. Thank you. Also, how do you pronounce Kila? Is it KILL-A, KEE-LA or KY-LA? 

Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Keigan ment kali. Not kila. Kali-spell

I was asking about this: https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106075527/kila-crags

Lalp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 35

Ky-la is the correct pronunciation.  Didn't know there were new climbs there... hafta check it out sometime, though highly recommend POR for volume and proximity... just mind the mosquitoes.

There hasn’t been a new route put up at Kila (Kie-luh) in at least 10 years (as far as I know). There is some new development going on about 20 minutes west of Kila, though, at Little McGregor Lake.

POR is not on MP at all, but the second edition of the guide book will be out soon (apparently)! 

Bridget Tye · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0
mills101 Mills wrote: There hasn’t been a new route put up at Kila (Kie-luh) in at least 10 years (as far as I know). There is some new development going on about 20 minutes west of Kila, though, at Little McGregor Lake.

POR is not on MP at all, but the second edition of the guide book will be out soon (apparently)! 

hey can anyone dump some knowledge on me, im looking for trad climbs in the area, im willing to drive fairly far from the valley.

i grew up swimming at mcgregor, cant recall any cliffs around there. 

Thanks guys!
Bridget Alexis wrote:

hey can anyone dump some knowledge on me, im looking for trad climbs in the area, im willing to drive fairly far from the valley.

i grew up swimming at mcgregor, cant recall any cliffs around there. 

Thanks guys!

Where do you live?

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/113164615/birthday-crack 

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/112020739/song-of-ilium

There's more out there. POR has a few, there's a 120 ft. 5.9 all-trad. route out there that's super fun; again, new guide book (soon, I think). Something like three-quarters of the routes at Stone Hill are mixed or trad; get the guide at RMO. 

There are some shorter cliffs just north of Little McGregor Lake. (Almost) all the ones we've developed are on MP (and there are about five more that are almost complete). :)

I plan on picking up the local climbing guides when I'm up there for the day on June 10th.

Jason Schmidt wrote: I plan on picking up the local climbing guides when I'm up there for the day on June 10th.

Jason, I'll be out of town the week of the 10th (Climbing in New Hampshire!), but if you're around for a bit, let me know, would be stoked to get out!

mills101 Mills wrote:

Jason, I'll be out of town the week of the 10th (Climbing in New Hampshire!), but if you're around for a bit, let me know, would be stoked to get out!

I will be back July 8th then staying until 28th. :) I will message you. 

Anyone going to be in area June 30 or July 1 who might want to hit a crag near Kalispell?

Lee Chandler wrote: Anyone going to be in area June 30 or July 1 who might want to hit a crag near Kalispell?

Possibly the 30th. If not, I can get you some beta.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Climbing near Kalispell, MT"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started