Mountain Project Logo

Who's buying this crap?

Original Post
Trad Man · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Kinda scary people are buying these, including people from 1st world countries like US and UK:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945584768.html
No mention of CE certification (not that I would trust them if they claimed it)

Some others claim it based on the fact that some lettering has been painted on. Here's the Q&A from a "professional" biner from a store selling Petzl and DMM knock-offs:

Huh?

I mean, kill yourself if you must, but why kill your partner, too? And for what, saving $3 on a biner? Am I over-reacting? 
Isaac Gray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 8

Is this an ad? I can't tell. 

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I'll PayPal someone a dollar to pull test one of these.

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

Another dollar from me.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Chinese knock-off of the DMM Revolver carabiner. Doesn't give much confidence, especially when there is no brand name for it.

I'm sure they'll paint a DMM logo and a CE cert on the biner for an extra dollar if you ask them nicely

Stihl Born · · Ohio · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

If you guys get the $10 together and  buy one I'll cover pull testing. HD video and graphed results. You can have it shipped direct to the place I use if you don't trust me for forward it.

Shit like this makes me not want to use my real dmm revolver for fear someone will see it, be curious and go buy this... 

Cereal Killer wrote: If you guys get the $10 together and  buy one I'll cover pull testing. HD video and graphed results. You can have it shipped direct to the place I use if you don't trust me for forward it.

Shit like this makes me not want to use my real dmm revolver for fear someone will see it, be curious and go buy this... 

Send me some PayPal deets and I'll send you $10.

If other people want to see shit breaking, then can chip some my way. But breaking shit's fun.
Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

If you call the customer service i wonder if they will fake a british accent

'ELO GUVNA'

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700
Trad Man wrote: Kinda scary people are buying these, including people from 1st world countries like US and UK:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945584768.html
No mention of CE certification (not that I would trust them if they claimed it)

Some others claim it based on the fact that some lettering has been painted on. Here's the Q&A from a "professional" biner from a store selling Petzl and DMM knock-offs:

Huh?

I mean, kill yourself if you must, but why kill your partner, too? And for what, saving $3 on a biner? Am I over-reacting? 

College kids. People that are more interested in saving money then being safe...  I found a locking carabiner stuck on some chains at a local crag, it is a Chinese knock off- someone had been using it as a top rope anchor.  It took pliers to get the thing unlocked.  

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265
Sunny-D wrote:

It took pliers to get the thing unlocked.  

So you’re saying they’re safer than name-brand gear?

To whom do I send money to help finance this gear-breaking extravaganza?

I think anyone with a weight bench and a few 50 lb plates could pull it off. But slow-mo vid sounds cool too.

They do have a 94% approval rating. It’s a shame dead people can’t review things.
This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
Anonymous wrote: ... It'd be cool to see a video devoted to knockoff gear.

While I agree, I don't think this would assuage my fears much considering what's really important is quality assurance & consistency in production. 

Well I ordered one, I'll keep ya'll updated... Don't expect it to get here from the slow boat for 6-8 weeks. 

Threw some cash your way, Cereal. Thanks!

Julian H wrote: Why do you think they are trash? And how do they are not made in the same factory the DMM carabiners are made? I’m surprises that It is a DMM revolver, I would expect a more popular design or something made by madrock or a similar company. 

If it is made by the same factory (not saying that isn't a possibility) how are they selling it so much cheaper?  Either by using lower grade material, or by skipping testing and/or QC (or all of the above). 
Daniel Winder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 101

Great store, I just picked some "2 pieces 1 pair of silicone bra pad push high breasts detachable bra fill insert cup swimsuit bikini nipple cover sticker patch9" only 95 cents. Thanks!

Julian H wrote: Why do you think they are trash? And how do they are not made in the same factory the DMM carabiners are made? I’m surprises that It is a DMM revolver, I would expect a more popular design or something made by madrock or a similar company. 

I don't think AliExpress sellers have access to DMM factories in Wales.

Julian H wrote:

... 9 bucks is not that cheap. Considering that REi sells carabines for 5 bucks... 

Sure $9 > $5 but have you priced the actual dmm revolver?  You can probably find regular carabiners for a buck a piece or less in China if you wanted... That's not what we're talking about in this thread. 

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

All DMM rock climbing carabiners are made by DMM in their own factory in Llanberis, Wales.

Do you seriously think these guys were made by DMM in their own factory in Llanberis, Wales, and then sold to a Chinese seller for a fraction of what they cost to manufacture, so that said Chinese seller can then undercut DMM and all retailers that sell DMM???!
Julian H wrote:

It is possible that is not as well made. If you take the money DMM makes and the money REI makes from selling carabiner, 9 bucks is not that cheap. Considering that REi sells carabines for 5 bucks.

I don’t buy gear from China but I’m sure that I own some that has been made there. 

That's like saying you would ride a bicycle from a Taiwanese no-name retailer down a rocky trail because Pivot makes their bikes there. 

Thing is, Pivot hires people full time to live in Taiwan for most of the year just to do QA, because apparently quality goes to poop if you turn your back for one minute.

I've read enough horror stories of people trying to source something as simple as steel to be wary of anything made in the land of no rules or scruples. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Who's buying this crap?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started