Mountain Project Logo

Small CHEAP stick clip for ascending up routes

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695
Marlin Thorman wrote: From the previous angling comment.....Here is a link to a pretty compact one.  Only 15" long all pushed together but it extends to 12 feet.  Carbon fiber so it is light. Lots of other similar rods in the fishing world.   allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-P…

That's interesting for sure. I'll look into these.  I also wonder how hard it'd be to thread the appropriate section to fit a SuperClip?

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20
Ma Ja wrote:

Does no one read the category of the posts before commenting? I climb moderately hard sport, I'm learning trad and taking my time with it, but if I was talking about any of that, I'd post it in those categories. 

I'm bolting routes. I'm carrying a ton of weight on my harness. I'm using a static line. Get out of here with that macho, balls out, "just give it up if you're not climbing on my level" bull shit. Tiny stick clip anyone, that doesn't usually walk around with their tick list stapled to their dick, out showing everyone how bad ass they are? How about you go put some lines in, and bolt it on lead with a static line? Make sure to buy some Twist Bolts from Jim. They're amazing. 

No not really....I typically only look at the title and the content of the OP. Probably would serve you well to have had put this information in your opening post. -just a suggestion.

Drill on...
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I'm a big fan of the Beta Stick EVO. Mine has certainly been used to chicken clip through a crux or two.

If "cheap" is operating principle, though, have you thought about just using a walking stick? Before I bought my Beta Stick I would just rubber band a draw to my fully-extended waking stick.

You're never going to find a really great, light, functional option for much less than the Beta Stick IMO. With the everywhere 20% off coupons and some Active Junky you should be able to find it for <$50. 

Roots wrote:

No not really....I typically only look at the title and the content of the OP. Probably would serve you well to have had put this information in your opening post. -just a suggestion.

Drill on...

There was more than enough info for someone with basic reading comprehension to know that I wasn't talking about "Fraiding" up a route. And then the douche  reading half a post and then telling me I should stick to easy Trad. Who are these people? Besides the fact that they have no business commenting, considering the Title and Category, and they offer nothing but ego driven BS that's only meant to prove their balls are bigger. Fck them and their uselessness. As far as no one reading titles or the categories of a post, duly noted. I'll spell it out next time, for all the knucklehead frat dudes that frequent this site. 

Señor Arroz wrote: I'm a big fan of the Beta Stick EVO. Mine has certainly been used to chicken clip through a crux or two.

If "cheap" is operating principle, though, have you thought about just using a walking stick? Before I bought my Beta Stick I would just rubber band a draw to my fully-extended waking stick.

You're never going to find a really great, light, functional option for much less than the Beta Stick IMO. With the everywhere 20% off coupons and some Active Junky you should be able to find it for <$50. 

I don't think I want something that expensive. If I could use my SuperClip interchangeably, I'd consider it, but for that kind of money I could buy a routes worth of bolts. 

Alex Holmann · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 83
Marlin Thorman wrote: From the previous angling comment.....Here is a link to a pretty compact one.  Only 15" long all pushed together but it extends to 12 feet.  Carbon fiber so it is light. Lots of other similar rods in the fishing world.   allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-P…

Most of these rods are fairly thin and not meant to support any weight in the way a stick clip is. They are generally made up of a bunch of telescoping sections and anything past the halfway mark is likely far too flimsy to be used as a stick clip (The tip section is generally only like 2mm thick). That said, you can probably remove the sections that are too weak and still may be left with a solid 6' rod.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

Look at some of the selfie sticks that are out there. I have a ProPhoto one ($20) that extends to 41” and has a wrist loop. It, like many of them, has a tripod screw attachment so it would be easy to modify it to a SuperClip or something. Or better yet, go old school and drill a hole in a welders clamp and attach it. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Malcolm Daly wrote: Look at some of the selfie sticks that are out there. I have a ProPhoto one ($20) that extends to 41” and has a wrist loop. It, like many of them, has a tripod screw attachment so it would be easy to modify it to a SuperClip or something. Or better yet, go old school and drill a hole in a welders clamp and attach it. 

Yes, selfie sticks and "boom supports."

Like THIS ONE. 

Those are good ideas too. And, I had the same thought about the weight of the rope drooping over with the angler poles, but the middle and down would probably work.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Alex Holmann wrote:

Most of these rods are fairly thin and not meant to support any weight in the way a stick clip is. They are generally made up of a bunch of telescoping sections and anything past the halfway mark is likely far too flimsy to be used as a stick clip (The tip section is generally only like 2mm thick). That said, you can probably remove the sections that are too weak and still may be left with a solid 6' rod.

You remove the bottom cap and bin the thinner sections, on the two I have the ones less than about 3/8-1/2" which should be stiff enough. The trick with thin poles and that the extensions don't lock is to twist the rope strands round the pole a few times.

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

I'm curious why you have chosen to bolt with this method?
Can you not access the top any other way?

Rprops · · Nevada · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 2,422

I gave up the search for the golden extender. Now I just carry the largest painters pole up the route with me on my harness.  I think it's worth having the 16' option.  It typically hangs on  a quickdraw through the superclip, and somehow I haven't broken it yet (though I have retaped the base of the Superclip for reinforcement).    I dropped it once recently about 20', and no damage.

Hundreds of hours of durability, max reach, ability to stick clip up AND down a route (short rope on long routes!) and ability to stick clip sideways to other routes (to surpass a bulge or runout to next bolt, need a durable stick to not snap while horizontal) makes the big pole worth it to me.

Sorry to be one more guy not answering the question but hope it's at least constructive.

Rprops wrote: Alex I gave up the search for the golden extender. Now I just carry the largest painters pole up the route with me on my harness.  I think it's worth having the 16' option.  It typically hangs on  a quickdraw through the superclip, and somehow I haven't broken it yet (though I have retaped the base of the Superclip for reinforcement).    I dropped it once recently about 20', and no damage.

Hundreds of hours of durability, max reach, ability to stick clip up AND down a route (short rope on long routes!) and ability to stick clip sideways to other routes (to surpass a bulge or runout to next bolt, need a durable stick to not snap while horizontal) makes the big pole worth it to me.

Sorry to be one more guy not answering the question but hope it's at least constructive.

Actually, I ended my quest for the short pole too and just followed Jim's lead. I just settled on the idea of making stick clipping up a nearby route a separate task from everything else I'm trying to do when developing. I was originally hoping to find something that I could leave on my harness the whole time and not get in the way, but every option is either super flimsy, or really expensive. With the long extension (18ft), you can skip a bolt or two at a time, which is nice. 

The Raven wrote: I'm curious why you have chosen to bolt with this method?
Can you not access the top any other way?

I've looked at the other access to the top, and it'd be me self belaying up a choss chimney, rapping down to collect gear, and then ascending up. I'd rather just go up an existing neighboring route. Obviously this doesn't work all the time, especially considering work in new areas with no existing bolts. 

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674
You don’t stick clips to put up routes  just stand on your own 2 feet and drill and if you can’t do that use a hook
Jeffrey Constine wrote:
You don’t stick clips to put up routes  just stand on your own 2 feet and drill and if you can’t do that use a hook

Wish I was as cool as you. Maybe one day. BTW, I do stick clip up routes. Also, I'd love to see how much glue and how many nozzles you'd waste using this method for installing glue ins. 

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Avalanche probe or short tent pole and handmade clamp do the trick.

Kyle Simmons · · Huntsville, AL · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I made one in CAD and 3D printed it. Then made a couple extras by creating a mold for it. Uses a couple magnets and webbing screwed/glued on. Turned out pretty good and just attached it to a paint pole.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 290
Ben Pellerin wrote:

Dont go having a hussy fit on me dood. Maybe you could clarify by explaining in a way people can understand? 

Literally everyone reading this thread thinks you want to climb sport by stick clipping every bolt.  

Use your words to state your intentions not trying to start shit. So sensitive.

You can read my ticks and I won't have an ego meltdown.

You think I was coming at you brah?

Goodluck stick clipping your way to route setting glory spazzz

I didn't read the thread that way. So not literally everyone. You're being an ass all over the thread - his ticklist isn't relevant to the conversation. Answer the question helpfully or fuck off.

Ma Ja, I second just getting the 6-18 painters pole.
Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

I've used a 3 section hiking pole with an Epic Sport Stick Clip (now discontinued) attached to the end. Clipped to the back of my harness when aiding, pretty simple.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Small CHEAP stick clip for ascending up routes "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started