Mountain Project Logo

KML and/or GPX files for Sierra Alpine Classics?

Original Post
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I'm curious to pre-scout some Sierra Classics using Google Earth Pro. The easiest way to do that would be to have KML or GPX tracks of the approaches and routes. I haven't really found a wealth of them online. Does anyone know of a good resource? 

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Peakbagger.com allows tracks to be uploaded, but that site's demographic focuses on non-technical ascent routes. You might be able to weed through a bunch and find a technical ascent .gpx.

Can you name 2-3 routes at the top of your wishlist?
brian burke · · mammoth lakes, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 165

you can sometimes get lucky by overlaying public trips on gaiagps.com 's map.  the super popular routes always have tracks, but its hit or miss when things get more technical or obscure.

Gerrit Verbeek wrote: Peakbagger.com allows tracks to be uploaded, but that site's demographic focuses on non-technical ascent routes. You might be able to weed through a bunch and find a technical ascent .gpx.

Can you name 2-3 routes at the top of your wishlist?

For example, E. Buttress Whitney. N. Arete Bear Creek Spire. S. Face Charlotte Dome.

brian burke · · mammoth lakes, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 165

c dome and east butt are on gaia's public tracks. no dice for bear creek, but drawing your own gpx on caltopo for that one would be pretty easy. 

Jared M · · Oakland, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 145
brian burke wrote: c dome and east butt are on gaia's public tracks. no dice for bear creek, but drawing your own gpx on caltopo for that one would be pretty easy. 

Thanks for that tip. For some reason I hadn't thought to just look at the GaiaGPS public tracks. Super helpful idea

Jared M wrote: MP has approach trails for many routes and you can download the GPX files

BCS North Arete approach:
https://www.mountainproject.com/approach-trail/113721671/approach-to-bear-creek-spire-via-treasure-lakes-to-dade

BCS descent:
https://www.mountainproject.com/approach-trail/113721700/descent-from-bear-creek-spire

Thank you. Very cool. 

John Godino · · Portland, OR · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

The above suggestions for Peakbagger and GaiaGPS are excellent.
The Peakbagger interface can be a bit confusing, probably because the website looks about the same as it did in 1995.

Here is an article (disclaimer, on my website) that covers in more detail how to find GPX files for climbing routes.

https://www.alpinesavvy.com/blog/where-can-i-find-gpx-tracks-for-climbing

John Godino wrote: The above suggestions for Peakbagger and GaiaGPS are excellent.
The Peakbagger interface can be a bit confusing, probably because the website looks about the same as it did in 1995.

Here is an article (disclaimer, on my website) that covers in more detail how to find GPX files for climbing routes.

Thanks! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "KML and/or GPX files for Sierra Alpine Classics? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started