Mountain Project Logo

Tom Randall & Pete Whitaker Onsight Kill Artist

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 1,065

I can't find his original thread, but the quote was "Be kind, because every person is fighting a battle you know nothing about." Or something to that effect; OLH probably has it verbatim.

If you haven't read his trip report of soloing Ellingwood Ledges after receiving his diagnosis, it's an excellent piece of writing.

Noah R · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Fritz :-) wrote: I can't find his original thread, but the quote was "Be kind, because every person is fighting a battle you know nothing about." Or something to that effect; OLH probably has it verbatim.

If you haven't read his trip report of soloing Ellingwood Ledges after receiving his diagnosis, it's an excellent piece of writing.

Best thing to come out of this thread was that short story. Thanks for sharing.

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Thanks Fritz. Good to hear he is still getting after it.
We hiked up to check out his last route "Be Kind" in the fall of 2018.
Don't know how he did the OW pitch. 90 feet of serious grunt. Especially at 11,000 ft.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Fritz :-) wrote:

Steve and I correspond via email, and he's going to be on the podcast this fall. He and his wife and 2row are currently living on a boat in the Atlantic. He says the stars at night are beyond description. They're having a great time, sounds like. 

Holy shit, that's awesome! Some caver friends of mine are buying a nice sloop in Europe, no doubt to sail in that part of the world. Glad to hear Steve is living the dream. I know we enjoy poking fun at Hellanor, but she and Ryan are living aboard a sailboat for a good part of the year on the west coast with a lot of scuba diving included, which is really cool. I think finally she found something to put her time into. Ha ha. 

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Just received a text from the contractor who built our house. He is a good friend of Steve's. As of last week they are somewhere between Easter Island and Hawaii. Yellow dot. Talk about getting away from it all...

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Top Raven wrote: Just received a text from the contractor who built our house. He is a good friend of Steve's. As of last week they are somewhere between Easter Island and Hawaii. Yellow dot. Talk about getting away from it all...

Isn't that visual great? I loved getting that recently!

Steve and I have got an odd and very lovely friendship going, considering we may never meet face to face.....I love him hugely, and some others I've not met on here also. I will be working to change that and meeting more of you people!

"Be Kind", I put in the in progress route base, quite awhile back, as a placemarker. Great to hear it exists! I've got a climb to get to there.... someday. 

Here's the Be Kind thread Fritz mentioned:
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113509375/everyone-you-meet

I hafta search it up everytime, to get the quote right, so I at least remember "everyone you meet".

Best, Helen
Cole Darby · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 166

should this thread come back? should there be a new thread? in any case, figured folks that were on this may enjoy;

https://runoutpodcast.com/index.php/2019/05/24/runout-23-offwidths-getting-called-out/

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 16
Supertopo and Mountain Project threads ensued and 10s of pages of witty repartee later, left me, as usual, dumber than when I’d started.
From the article. We're (in)famous!
Ty Gittins · · Bozeman · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1,376

Yo Danny, congrats on that proud ascent...we did some ow bouldering in canyonlands years ago man, and it looks like you have come a long way! Have you hopped on The Mechanical Bull yet? 

Danny Parker · · Teasdale, UT · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 120
Ty Gittins wrote: Yo Danny, congrats on that proud ascent...we did some ow bouldering in canyonlands years ago man, and it looks like you have come a long way! Have you hopped on The Mechanical Bull yet? 

Hey Ty, That was a fun day in Canyonlands. I haven't yet gotten out to the Bull but I hear it's legit! It's definitely at the top of my offwidth to-do list.

Ty Gittins · · Bozeman · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1,376

That line is ill  .. I went out there one day to support pk. I wasnt able to do the initial kick thru, but I'm not real real strong...I think you will be way psyched on the line as it appears to be a modern invert insta classic 

Ryan Wood · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 205
Ted Pinson wrote:

What do you think of this 5.12 variation of a 5.7 handcrack?

https://rockandice.com/videos/weekend-whippers/weekend-whipper-roadside-attraction-trad-fall/

I randomly dug this thread up after listening to an old Runout episode.

This is absolute gold. 

John Sigmon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 82
Ryan Wood wrote:

I randomly dug this thread up after listening to an old Runout episode.

This is absolute gold. 

i dont want to hijack the thread here but this whipper video was cringeworthy. Good video for people learning to lead as an example- "Find all the things the climber did wrong"

Ryan Wood · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 205
John Sigmon wrote:

i dont want to hijack the thread here but this whipper video was cringeworthy. Good video for people learning to lead as an example- "Find all the things the climber did wrong"

That’s why I posted and quoted that. The quote and video are both gold. 

i believe pam.

but those wydeboizzzz

so hottt ritemeow

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Tom Randall & Pete Whitaker Onsight Kill Artist"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started