Mountain Project Logo

How do you stay at Red river?

Original Post
Jordon · · Rochester, MN · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 233

Going to Red River Gorge for the first time next week. Im wondering where the best place to camp is. Is there cheap camping thats close to the crags?

Chris Reyes · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 40
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Lol.  As it says there, the answer is “yes.”  Most people stay at Miguel’s, Lago Lindo, or Arches.  You can also get a permit for the North Gorge or PMRP.  Just stay at Miguel’s.

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656

Miguel's sucks. It's crowded and loud. It's full of gumbies spraying about sending at Bruise Brothers. Camp at Arches or Lagos for a more relaxed environment and a better night's sleep. Rent an AirBnB if you can. There's the bedrock place now which looks really nice but seems insanely expensive.

Or, if you're in your 20's or on your college's spring break, then definitely stay at Miguel's. 

Siwook Hwang · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Miguel's definitely is crowded and has a lot of weird vibes. But I feel like camping out there, eating pizza, playing chess in the basement in the evening is an integral part of the RRG experience. I would recommend staying there at least for a bit to see how you like it. I camp out there every time I am there.

Kyle Hartung · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 50

Spraying about Bruise Bros sends...hilarious.  Miguel's is still fun either way.  The pizza is legit. 

Barry M · · WV · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Land of the arches

Patrick Beeson · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 157

I stayed at a cheapish cabin just off the turn toward Lexington during my last visit. Given temps in the 80s that week, it sure was nice to have AC and a bed.

Parker H · · Indianapolis · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0
Siwook Hwang wrote: Miguel's definitely is crowded and has a lot of weird vibes. But I feel like camping out there, eating pizza, playing chess in the basement in the evening is an integral part of the RRG experience. I would recommend staying there at least for a bit to see how you like it. I camp out there every time I am there.

Basement is gone so hold on to that memory.

Erick Valler · · flat midwest · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 20
Parker H wrote:

They say smell is one of the biggest triggers for memory. Just huff on one of your climbing shoes after a 10 hour gym session and you’ll be right back in that basement in no time. 

Parker H wrote:

When I was there last they were rebuilding/expanding it. But maybe they were turning it into something else?

There's now the "Zen Den" but there's nothing zen about it...
Kyle Hartung wrote: Spraying about Bruise Bros sends...hilarious.  Miguel's is still fun either way.  The pizza is legit. 

Brah, have you done Rising brah?

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Only the start. ;)

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Kyle Hartung wrote: Spraying about Bruise Bros sends...hilarious.  Miguel's is still fun either way.  The pizza is legit. 

My favorite overheard-at-Miguel’s quote (said by a girl weighing maybe 140lb, tops): “if I lost 5 lb, I bet I could climb 5.9.”

jessie briggs · · NH · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 636

Almost feel like I’m back at Miguel’s with a bunch of people who climb 5.12 making fun of people stoked to climb lower grades. Ahhh yep, the real Miguel’s experience. 

Jordan Gay · · North Carolina · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 38

What are the options for sleeping in a van at the Red?

Parker H · · Indianapolis · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0
Cobra Wrestlr wrote: Miguels is 3 buks right?

They raised their camping prices by 5 cents so I stopped staying there. 

Erik Kloeker · · Campton · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 41
jessie briggs wrote: Almost feel like I’m back at Miguel’s with a bunch of people who climb 5.12 making fun of people stoked to climb lower grades. Ahhh yep, the real Miguel’s experience. 

Hahaha. More like people who project 5.12 at that. Also to the previous posters, there are gumbies everywhere... It's Red River gorge... Van Dwelling is most common at Miguel's. If you want to get away from the crowds get a cabin or get a backcountry pass and find a spot in the Northern Gorge. 

Adam Ronchetti · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

If you want to climb at Muir Valley a lot stay at Land of the Arches. If you want to climb at PMRP or MFRP a lot stay at Lago Linda. I personally always do LL ever since I learned that the LotA charges to put up a tent whereas LL charge for a campsite. If you're going to be meeting people or don't want to come back from a long day of climbing to find a bunch of random people using your stuff (3 years and I'm still a little miffed at that) I would recommend not staying at LotA.

Adam Ronchetti wrote:[If you] don't want to come back from a long day of climbing to find a bunch of random people using your stuff (3 years and I'm still a little miffed at that) I would recommend not staying at LotA.

What?

Adam Ronchetti · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

We'd gotten to LotA eary and set up our stuff then went out climbing. We we came back in the evening 5 tents had sprouted up around us and one of sed groups of people were using some of the things we'd left at the site (because why have them in the car). That was when I realized that at LotA you don't actually pay for a campsite. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "How do you stay at Red river?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started