Mountain Project Logo

Fall from 2nd Flatiron [video; somewhat disturbing]

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25

Be the ball Danny -  you missed two points to emphasize above.  As previously stated neither Dan nor Dean died soloing, and Peter is still alive.  
So logic says Kyle is more like a modern day Peter Croft.  

(Said with a straight face)

(Points though if you get the reference before your name above)

Danny Gilbert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25
Mark Pilate wrote: Be the ball Danny -  you missed two points above.  As previously stated neither Dan nor Dean died soloing, and Peter is still alive.  

(Points though if you get the reference before your name above)

I know how Dean and Dan died and that Peter is still alive. I guess I thought he was just listing out badass solo climbers (Honnold is on there, and he's not dead). I guess my point was just that these guys were (or are) willfully climbing stuff that they basically understand and Kyle did not really understand what he was trying to do. Some people disparage him for trying to climb a 5.13 in tennis shoes, but what difference does it make if he called it a 5.13 or a 5.2 when he doesn't know what that stuff means. He was essentially a hiker that was off route and got in over his head and shouldn't be compared to a climber that understands what they're doing. 

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25
Danny Gilbert wrote:

.... I guess I thought he was just listing out badass solo climbers....

Well then let’s toss out a few more Dead and Alive names.....

Derek Hersey, and Alex Huber.  

And for the record, there’s no disagreement on your post.  Even Kyle understands that he didn’t understand, that’s what’s not understood by many who so want him to understand the obvious, which obviously makes him take a stand against all those who apparently stand against him.....understood?
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Tara Nichols wrote:

calm down a notch

The joke told in counseling circles goes something like this:
There are precisely 2 words that invariably have the opposite effect as what is intended:
"Calm Down."
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

Dear god Kyle, you’re acting like a tool. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I’m liking this schtick.  It illustrates that you are aware of socially appropriate behaviors but are deliberately choosing to ignore them under the guise of reflection.

I dub thee the Meta Troll.

MP Team · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 4

Phew, 21 pages..... 'twas quite a run, but we're going to lock the thread at this point since it really isn't adding to the climbing community anymore.

Kyle, we're stoked you're recovering well and on the path to getting back outdoors. Climb safe.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started