Mountain Project Logo

New BD cams

Greg Kosinski · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined May 2015 · Points: 50

I'll be happy with them if it means the current generation of x4s goes on discount

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
jon jugenheimer wrote: Tradiban has, and it was a purple C3 if I remember correctly on that slippery rock in WI that cams don’t work at all on.

Pretty sure it was a pink Tricam...

scott fuzz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 125

usb compliant? if you cant download yer placements, whats the point-

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
jon jugenheimer wrote: Tradiban has, and it was a purple C3 if I remember correctly on that slippery rock in WI that cams don’t work at all on.

Word. And since then I have legit whipped in the #000. Although, it was in granite ;)

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036
Drtysmellyhippy wrote:

There are some around Wisco. I think. 

Wildside had a full set last fall - which is now a part of Baker's rack I think - plus a few other assorted C3s.  Try there if you are looking for a couple miscellaneous ones.  

Chris K · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 136

They are just the new generation of x4’s. Don’t really know why. The current x4’s are good enough. Now I’ll have to pay $100 per x4. The only hope I have is that the new x4’s will somehow accommodate sizes 000, 00, and 0 with the new cable/trigger design. Anyone else notice smaller trigger distance?

Also...

null
Drtysmelly Hippie · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0
chris tregge wrote:

Wildside had a full set last fall - which is now a part of Baker's rack I think - plus a few other assorted C3s.  Try there if you are looking for a couple miscellaneous ones.  

Nice, I’ll stop in and take a look. Thanks for the beta Doc. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

So that people will buy the new ones.

Scurvy Dave · · Squamish · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0
Jake Jones wrote: It looks like there's essentially a square-ish plastic spiral around the section of stem from the trigger to the piece that holds the lobe wires.  Not exactly ground-breaking enhancement.  If I had to pick one or the other based on appearance alone, I'd go with the "beads" instead of this plastic housing.  To me, it looks like more to get hung up and trap dirt.  I wonder what they're saying this is an improvement upon?  The X4s are already fairly light.  I just don't see the reason for redesigning.

Looks like when you pull the trigger they nest together, making it rigid for easier placement.

Nol Huther · · Burlington, VT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,652
Chris K wrote:The only hope I have is that the new x4’s will somehow accommodate sizes 000, 00, and 0 with the new cable/trigger design. 

This what you wanted?
Nolan Huther wrote:

This what you wanted?

I have the purple c3 and the red x4 barely fits that size. So I feel that this chart is skewed or that the widest range of the cams has been taken into account. I.e. a fully open cam is not safe. The red x4 is the same range as the green c3. But let’s save this conversation for the other forum topic post “c3’s discontinued?” 

Also no. I want the narrower headwidth. 
Thomas Claiborne · · Flagstaff · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 41
Tradiban wrote:

Word. And since then I have legit whipped in the #000. Although, it was in granite ;)

Took a 30 footer on a 000. They fucking work.

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695
Jake Jones wrote:

I guess I'm one of the few people that never had any problems with them being too floppy.  In my experience, the more rigid (especially the lighter the cam) the more prone they are to walking.  Still not a net benefit IMO.  YMMV.

But these look like when they're open, they're floppy, and pulling on the trigger makes them rigid by crunching that empty space together to create a solid surface... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
scott fuzz wrote: usb compliant? if you cant download yer placements, whats the point-

"IT'S FUCKING RIDICULOUS THAT YOU CAN'T USE THESE CAMS WHEN YOU'RE ON THE MP APP" -Ian C. aka Reformed Potty Mouth Since Luke B. Is So Sensitive aka Entitled PA climber aka Tired and grumpy

I do just want some new C3's though... Yellow and Red C3's for Sierra granite are my favorite pieces.
NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Ted Pinson wrote: So that people will buy the new ones.

Or so that people don't buy BD's competitors' new ones.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Thomas Claiborne wrote:

Took a 30 footer on a 000. They fucking work.

Not at Devils Lake they don't.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Chris K wrote:

I have the purple c3 and the red x4 barely fits that size. So I feel that this chart is skewed or that the widest range of the cams has been taken into account. I.e. a fully open cam is not safe. The red x4 is the same range as the green c3. But let’s save this conversation for the other forum topic post “c3’s discontinued?” 

Also no. I want the narrower headwidth. 

+1 on the red x4 almost being the same as the green c3 in most situations on Sierra granite. I swear that extra cam lob/ head width makes these things more prone to getting stuck/ catching on slightly larger crystals, where .5mm makes a difference. I almost lost mine the first day I used it because of this. 

NorCalNomad wrote:

+1 on the red x4 almost being the same as the green c3 in most situations on Sierra granite. I swear that extra cam lob/ head width makes these things more prone to getting stuck/ catching on slightly larger crystals, where .5mm makes a difference. I almost lost mine the first day I used it because of this. 

The number of times I get a micro x4 stuck is so frustrating. Whereas if I had just a bit less headwidth it wouldn’t happen!! Especially on granite when I’m pumped out and push in the cam slightly wrong. Had an x4 set wrong on me yesterday and couldn’t fix it. Put a c3 in 15 ft later and it was like putting a hot knife in butter. 

I’m always trying to reach for the x4’s first to save my c3’s for those “must need” moments. 
Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695

If I was a cam manufacturer, I'd put everything on hold and stop making cams until Totem's Direct Loading patent runs out. I can't see any new design being better. Totems could certainly be improved, but that key piece is what really separates them from everyone else.

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Ma Ja wrote: If I was a cam manufacturer, I'd put everything on hold and stop making cams until Totem's Direct Loading patent runs out. I can't see any new design being better. Totems could certainly be improved, but that key piece is what really separates them from everyone else.

But... capitalism.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "New BD cams "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started