Mountain Project Logo

Rope sheath degradation

Original Post
Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10

My rope sheath seems to be disentegrating as it passes through a belay device. It leaves what can best be described as “lint” on the device. Doesn’t seem to matter what type of device. This photo is from a QuickDraw that was used as a directional after lowering someone off a 30m pitch. Rope is two years old, a bit less than 100 days Climbing on it. It’s been well cared for and otherwise seems to be in good condition. Anyone else seen this happen before? 

null
Greg R · · Durango CO · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 10
caughtinside wrote:

I did think the lint/fuzz came from more worn parts of the sheath, the section of sheath in your photo looks like its still in good condition. 

Yeah the sheath has practically no fuzz to it at all. I posted this as “degradation of sheath” but the appearance of the sheath is quite good, it’s  just bothersome that threads seem  to be visually breaking down like this. 

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,349

"yer GONNA die!!!..."

Your rope is FINE!

ThomasR · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Greg- i have the same rope and it gets the same orange "lint" collection on my rap device/biners. besides this, i've had no other issues with it; climbed/whipped/jugged/rapped/etc

you're fine

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

You may have a burr or rough spot on one of your biners that is shaving some fibers off. Good idea to make sure you use one side of a draw as gear end and the other for the rope.

Bill Lundeen · · Fort Bragg, CA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 120

Every rope I've ever owned eventually does this.  Kind of freaky at first seeing it, but I've never had one shed so bad I see core.  By the time that would happen I've retired the rope anyway.  I have always bought sale ropes (friggin' dirtbag with no$$) and have wondered if this is a result of "cheaper" ropes.  But I don't think so; I've owned Maxims, Mammuts, Rocas, Blue Waters, Beals, and nearly every other kind.  I still feel safe on them and have never had a rope issue because of this shedding.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Jaren Watson wrote: It’s not a problem at all. Not a bad idea to ask about it if you were concerned, but this is not cause for concern.

Climb on!

Agreed, not a problem.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Rope sheath degradation"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.