Mountain Project Logo

Best Climbing rope

Original Post
Micah Ted · · Durango · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 120

Hey, I have been been climbing for about three years now and I have finally retired my first rope. Admittedly, later then I probably should have seeing as it is riddled with core shots. I am looking to purchase a new rope but want to make sure I make the right choice. My only requirements is that it is a 70m, dry treated, single rope, that is pretty durable. I have been considering heavily the Blue Water Xenon Double Dry Climbing Rope - 9.2mm. If anyone has used this rope before I would love their opinion and if anyone has other suggestions that would be awesome! Keep in mind that I am a broke college student with an expensive hobby so if you have recommendations try to keep them within a reasonable price range. Thank you so much!

Noah Mills · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695

Mammut Infinity Dry is my top pick

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Sierra Trading Post is usually the best source for 70m ropes for those on a budget.  And if you want durable, 9.2mm isn't a wise move.

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

I'm partial to Sterlings - Velocity in particular - but there are a number of equivalent possibilities.  I am curious about what I see as inconsistencies in your post.  You list durability as a requirement. You don't list weight. Yet you propose a 9.2 rope - why so thin?

Larry S · · Easton, PA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 872

Mammut infinity is constantly a top pick for durability and handling.  Pricey though.  In the protect dry sheath it retails $250 in a 70m, $300 for full dry.

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622
Ma Ja wrote: Mammut Infinity Dry is my top pick

Mammut Infinity 9.5 would be my choice also.

Joe Prescott · · Berlin Germany · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 6
Micah Tedeschi wrote: Hey, I have been been climbing for about three years now and I have finally retired my first rope. Admittedly, later then I probably should have seeing as it is riddled with core shots. 
I think it is a little late to retire a rope that already has 'core shots.' You might want to get a 10.5-11mm cord.
Larry S · · Easton, PA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 872

I keep debating on this rope.... it's a special by edelweiss for backcountry.  Looks like a good deal, especially if you use that first time backcountry 20 off coupon and 8% back thru activejunky. Edelweiss Echo

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350
Eric Engberg wrote: I'm partial to Sterlings - Velocity in particular - but there are a number of equivalent possibilities.  I am curious about what I see as inconsistencies in your post.  You list durability as a requirement. You don't list weight. Yet you propose a 9.2 rope - why so thin?

Plus one

Ian Levine · · NY, NY · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
Chris Owen wrote:

Mammut Infinity 9.5 would be my choice also.

Same

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40

Mammut infinity, or Beal Joker with a very slight preference toward the joker. Both ‘feel’ pretty similar in size, and are about the same price per feature. I own both, and when I need to replace one, I’ll go with whichever is on sale.

Rob warden The space lizard · · Now...where? · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0
Josh C. wrote:

I used to have a Beal Joker. Was my favorite rope until I discovered the Mammut duodess. Someone at REI told me Beal is owned by Black Diamond. Anyone know if that's true?

Not even a little

Waaaaaaaaay back BD was the distributor for Beal
Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Micah Tedeschi wrote: My only requirements is that it is a 70m, dry treated, single rope, that is pretty durable. I have been considering heavily the Blue Water Xenon Double Dry Climbing Rope - 9.2mm. If anyone has used this rope before I would love their opinion and if anyone has other suggestions that would be awesome! Keep in mind that I am a broke college student with an expensive hobby so if you have recommendations try to keep them within a reasonable price range. Thank you so much!

What kind of climbing do you do? I like this rope, though I have only top roped on it, my buddy owns it. It doesn't feel like a 9.5. Feels thinner than my Mammut 9.2.

Sterling Evolution Helix

Small but mighty: With a new sheath and bantam weight core construction, the Helix is our skinny workhorse. Blending the right features—the ease of the 9.5-diameter rope, durable and light with low impact force—the Helix is ideal for high-end sport, trad and mixed climbing. Now available in DryXP, UIAA Certified Water Repellent.
Non bicolor options include a Middle Mark.
Available Lengths: 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 m  //  DryXP available in 60, 70, 80 m lengths
Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

If the rope you are retiring is full of core shots I would suggest that whatever rope you end up with being a Unicore.  

Bill Lundeen · · Fort Bragg, CA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 120

Micah -- here's a different perspective (from an old timer):  I've been climbing a long time.  Always wanted time rather than $$$.  So, being a dirtbag all my adult life, I've never had the goods to just pick my idea of the best rope for me.  Instead, I've always just bought what's on sale or a really good deal.  Never been disappointed yet.  Right now I have a 60m Roca I paid $102 for through Camp Saver (free shipping) and a recently purchased 70m Roca 9.6 for $110 (no tax or shipping; picked it up locally in Bishop, CA).  They may weigh a few more grams per meter, but that comes out to 1 lb at the most.  Plus I'm not 'sending the gnar' at 63 like I did 25 years ago.  (I also redpointed my first 5.12 in clunky old LaSportiva boots, reminding myself that's not the rope or the shoes that will make the ultimate difference...)

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Kevin Mokracek wrote: If the rope you are retiring is full of core shots I would suggest that whatever rope you end up with being a Unicore.  

hence my recommendation above...

Rob warden The space lizard · · Now...where? · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

Get a maxim.

Derek Hubbard · · Layton, UT · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 10

Throwing in yet another recommendation for the Mammut. It has consistently been the rope I reach for any time I go out. 

Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350

Mammut ropes are great but their sheath does wear fast compared to sterling and blue water. The sterling marathons and evolutions hold up forever it seems 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best Climbing rope"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started