Mountain Project Logo

Suggestion: Private Ticks Option

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469
FrankPS wrote: This is how you can record private ticks:

Can you talk to my employer?  I insist on using carbon copies for paperwork, but they insist I go electronic.  Has something to do with the 21st century blah blah.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Jim Turner wrote:

Can you talk to my employer?  I insist on using carbon copies for paperwork, but they insist I go electronic.  Has something to do with the 21st century blah blah.

Ha! Your employer is paying you to do paperwork however they want. Is MP paying you? (I realize you are using an analogy).

Sometimes, simpler is better. A digital solution isn't always necessary.
Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 654
FrankPS wrote:

Ha! Your employer is paying you to do paperwork however they want. Is MP paying you? (I realize you are using an analogy).

Sometimes, simpler is better. A digital solution isn't always necessary.

Do you mean it's a little odd to ask a free-to-use website for a free way of privately logging and storing one's own ticks that no one else cares about? The outrage!

Woodson · · Park City, Ut. · Joined May 2009 · Points: 180

There’s a lot of different input on this subject matter. I have used the tick list for many years, and this was one of the many great features of this website for me.

It has been a great record collector for me as to how many routes I’ve done year to year, with who, etc. But, it’s entirely up to the individual to say if they redpoint, pinkpoint, flash blahblah. That is not important to me. I just say lead, follow, or TR. That’s all I’ve used it for. And it’s not a ‘spray’ when you tick, it’s a good recording tool.

Maybe someone is looking, maybe not. Who gives a shit anyway? I use it, and will continue to whether or not it’s made private. Why would that deter an individual from using it? I don’t know. 

I suspect that a lot of people don’t use it because it is a public record, so I can see the privacy argument. 

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

Ticks can tell entire stories. Remember Tod?

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

i am not to worried about the private ticks thing, but one thing i would find very handy is a simple private notes thing.  just a simple little box to store some simple notes.  that way, for a given route i could write down key beta (ie save a blue alien for the top, hidden left pocket at 5th bolt, etc).  this would be handy for those times when you come back to do a route and want to jog your memory.  the nice thing is that it would be private, so it wouldn't "screw up other people's onsight", etc.

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118
slim wrote: i am not to worried about the private ticks thing, but one thing i would find very handy is a simple private notes thing.  just a simple little box to store some simple notes.  that way, for a given route i could write down key beta (ie save a blue alien for the top, hidden left pocket at 5th bolt, etc).  this would be handy for those times when you come back to do a route and want to jog your memory.  the nice thing is that it would be private, so it wouldn't "screw up other people's onsight", etc.

This would be the best implementation, IMO.

Arch Richardson · · Grand Junction · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 91

I would prefer an option for private ticks to reduce clutter.  One or more ticks could be made public if desired, with notes that you wish to share. As others have said, no need for everyone to see all your repeats.

BTW, MP is a useful app that gives you pitches/year, percent trad vs sport, notes on style, plots ticks on a map, etc so many use it as a personal log, myself included.

Ryan Williams · · London (sort of) · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,245

Fucking Facebook. 

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

Some quick - ~ "not fully formed yet"~ - thoughts - Crowd-sourcing allows the flow of information to build the statistics   -  Public scrutiny is the point & helps everyone to gain all kinds of valuable information. This transparency is required. - as long as "public input" - "votes" are used to establish consensus grades. If you feel you need the option for private route ticks and notes.  get a notebook or open a file -  tag it "Climbing Journal" to write all your thoughts & notes in - then you can have the option for private route ticks and notes.

blakeherrington · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 1,123

I would love the option for private route ticks and notes.

Dan Knisell · · MA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 6,367

There’s four camps. Tick your climbs and not give AF. Tick your climbs and bitch that it’s public. Don’t tick your climbs and not give AF. Don’t tick your climbs and cry about those who tick their routes. 

Derrick W · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 868

I have a friend who would probably never post here, but has expressed a similar desire for a private tick list.

Arch Richardson · · Grand Junction · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 91

I guess I'm in Camp 1(a). Tick your climbs, not give AF, but hope for an upgrade that allows for some privacy control to reduce clutter on the route page.

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 4,263

Just an idea. You could use the generic area to tick off repeats. That way you keep the stats and not polluting route page. It's not perfect but may work for some of you.

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/112166257/generic-area

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 654

Radical suggestion: create your own list on whatever device you use instead of asking a site you don't pay to use to create your own safe space.

Some of you almost make me want to vote for Trump. Almost.

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

I don't really care, and it's fine for my ticks to be entirely public, but for those who want some degree of privacy, how about two option categories when you record your tick:

1-Tick as public or private

2-If tick is public, comment selection: hide or show

Either leave checkboxes as is or just get rid of them. I am sure they are useful to some people, they are convenient if they match what you want to record, but I find them redundant. It is just as easy to me to put this info in my own way into the comments.

I find looking at user profiles very useful to filter partners, and after not recording ticks for years started doing so again, so potential partners can have a look and see what I've been up to to help determine of we'd be a good match. In that sense, the more you hide, the less likelihood someone like me will feel informed about you as a partner. I usually don't even reply to partner requests when I see a blank user profile, no ticks, no to do list, no user ratings stars comments. I mean if you need that much anonymity, are you going to wear a bag over your head when we climb together and use a fake name so I never know who you are?

Ralph Swansen · · Boulder CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 761

How about leaving everything as is.

But adding a private note area right under the current tick notes that only that person can see?

rob.calm · · Loveland, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 630
Robert S wrote: Radical suggestion: create your own list on whatever device you use instead of asking a site you don't pay to use to create your own safe space.

Some of you almost make me want to vote for Trump. Almost.

For over 30   years, I've kept a climbing diary using Microsoft Access. Easy to list ascents as red point, hang dog, etc. Also It allows me to leave comments on how the day went with a candor I would never use on a public site. Also, it's great to have good searching capability, like what did I climb on Intersection Rock in March `2008? What climbs have I done with John Doe? , etc. 

Stephen Eisenhauer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 62

Just wanted to echo the suggestions here and add that, at the very least, the tick entry screen should make it more clear to users that their notes will be shared publicly. I don't think the UI makes that very obvious today (they're a bit hard to find in the web UI, and there's an entirely separate flow for submitting comments which are more explicitly public in nature) and I see a lot of ticks out there containing potentially private information such as partners' names.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Suggestion: Private Ticks Option"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started