Mountain Project Logo

Aconcagua, crampons/doubles needed?

Original Post
Parker C · · Philadelphia · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 56

*** I have now been to Aconcagua and can answer my own question. 

Double boots are a absolute must have. I did not need them for any day except summit day but I would have lost some toes if I didn’t have them. I strongly advise wearing hiking shoes past base camp if the weather permits. It sucks hiking up in doubles with the sun out and in dirt/scree. You will be doing multiple carries so it should not be a weight problem to throw your doubles in your bag and carry them up.

Conserving crampons. We used them above Independencia hut. We were there at the end of December and there was still snow on the Windy Traverse (steep not really a traverse lol) and on the Canaleta. I would 100% bring them with you. Ask descending climbers above base camp what the conditions are and if you will need to bring them up. My fiancé and I went unguided but there are plenty of friendly people on the mountain and everyone will share info.***

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

I assume you are going to be going the Ruta Normal. You will want to bring crampons. Though you will mostly be on scree there are places and times where crampons will be needed. You might not use them for long but not having them will be a suck fest. I know of folks who turned around because they did not bring any.

Which Trangos? The Cube GTX? I would not take them as while you may be moving - remember you are at altitude so you will be moving albeit slowly at times. The Nepal Evo GTX would be better. 

I am not planning on bringing the Trango Cube GTX. I was trying to determine if Nepal Cubes or G5’s will cut it since I have taken my Trango’s to suck low temps. Doubles seem a bit much. 

Carlo Carlini · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Does anyone have an opinion if microspikes like "Hillsound Trail Crampons" or "Grivel ran anti slip" could be used safely instead of full crampons on Aconcagua normal route?

Having been there by now I will say doubles are a must (I brought them) and crampons are very helpful depending on the time of year. We still had snow at the Canetlla

N Farias Muñoz · · Paoli, PA · Joined May 2019 · Points: 75

Depending that what time in the year you go there. In South America in specific Chile an Argentina the mountain is dry and only in the winter you see more snow but no to munch.

N Farias Muñoz · · Paoli, PA · Joined May 2019 · Points: 75
SinRopa wrote: You could be fine...or it could cost you the summit.  I was there in 2010 and two days before I topped out, people made it up in trail runners with microspikes.  Then the weather changed, a bunch of snow dropped, everything got icy, and even the folks with Spantiks had cold feet.  All depends on the weather.

Yes Sr! is Tru 

Justin Sermeno · · Seattle, WA · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

As others have said, it will depend on the conditions. I was there in 2015. Summited early in March and crampons and double boots were an absolute must. There was ice from around 5300m and temps dropped to -40 with windchill. It would have been crazy to bring single layer boots.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Aconcagua, crampons/doubles needed?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started