Mountain Project Logo

Suggestion: Private Ticks Option

Original Post
Lora Durance · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 41

Hey all,

It'd be super useful to have a privacy setting for ticks (Lock/Unlock; Private/Public).

Lots of folks use ticks in ways that aren't simply the old-fashioned check it off: red point, pink point, flash, onsight, in so-and-so's company.

I personally use it as a kind of diary, chronicling my experience of a climb or project -- head, heart, body, everything.

I constantly run into folks bashing other folks' ticks. "That's not how you're supposed to use it," "What an a******, always ticking every rp," "Dude is a douchebag, spraying beta with his ticks."

That kind of bashing is pretty lame, and it could be easily cleared up with privacy settings.

Currently, I write about my project, including beta for cruxes, on my app and just don't sync the ticks. I plan to delete at least the beta ones once I send the project, but until then, I can't sync ANYTHING, nor can I install updates or download new areas, without losing my tick data.

Anyway, thanks.

Lora

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

You know that the tick feature was recently modified to allow for choosing redpoint, onsight, pinkpoint, fell/hung and notes can be added? Check it out.

It really doesn't matter what others think of how you use your tick list.

Lora Durance · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 41

Yep. I like the modification.

You're right. It doesn't matter what people think. It does still feel pretty uncomfortable when someone's trashing your friend at the crag for doing the exact same thing with their ticksthat you do.

Private ticks would be a useful enhancement.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Wow

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 775

I might use the tick feature if I had a private option, but I will never use it if the whole world can see my self-spray.

Mallen · · Payson, UT · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 15

I would also appreciate a privacy option for ticks. I don't currently use the feature, but i would think about switching from my spreadsheet if i could make the list private.

Peter Underwood · · Tucson · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 191

Private ticks & notes would be the most useful enhancement of MP.  Will lose some useful info from peoples ticks, just seeing someone has been at a crag lets me know it is accessible that time of year, etc, but so many dont post & would be useful to have private notes even if public tick

Nick Ibarluzea · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 25

This would definitely be useful. I'm not going to tick every redpoint on a route I climb frequently because it'd unnecessarily flood the public tick logs, but I'd find it personally useful to see how many pitches I've actually climbed and keep private beta/notes. Just adding a private/public flag on ticks would completely remove the need to keep a separate climbing log.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

"Secret secrets are no fun, secret secrets hurt someone" 

Charles Vernon · · Colorado megalopolis · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 2,656

I have mixed feelings about this because if there was a private option I would definitely use it, but I have to admit I love looking at other people's ticks, both because they provide useful information and in a more benignly voyeuristic way. I like seeing people's little "mini-dairy" entries and twitter-sized thoughts on the route. I like seeing what friends and former partners who now live far away have been climbing lately. That being said it's also understandable that people don't necessarily want everyone else being able to see all their ticks, and making it private is the simplest solution, so I'd support it.

The bashing that the OP describes is lame. I know a lot of us like to keep track of every pitch we climb, not just the redpoint, and a lot of us like to do the mini-diary entries. There's nothing wrong with either of those things, and if you're looking at the ticks and mad that someone included beta, that's just ridiculous. If it's really that annoying to a lot of people because it makes for a longer list to scroll through on mountainproject, then maybe another alternative is to collect repeats and attempts/non-sends in a different column? That sounds pretty awkward, though.

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Want to see this climber's Private Ticks?

Upgrade to Mountain Project Premium™  for the introductory price of just $5.99/month!
Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

I came here expecting pictures of genus Ixodes and bullseye rashes on genitalia. Mountain Project, I am very disappointed. Did everyone from the Great Taco Diaspora get banned already or something?

Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

I would love to see a private ticks option as well. 

Alec O · · Norwich, VT · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 31

I totally would use this and think it would be a great MP upgrade. Note, there’s two different levels of “private ticks,” as some have alluded to above. (1) A totally private list (only you can see your private ticks, ie they won’t show up in the route page OR your personal tick page) and (2) a “tick” that shows up in your public list on your profile page, but doesn’t show up on the route page.

I’m mostly interested in the latter—I’m happy to have people browse my list if they go to my profile, as it’s helpful when evaluating partners.  But like others have said, I want to be able to tick (failed) redpoint burns, repeats, laps, etc, without clogging up the route page with my 100 “ticks.”  To me, the most useful feature of the ticks is the statistics that it generates (days on rock, etc), so I want to be able to track that data without my name showing up on the route page a dozen times. 

Alec Orenstein wrote: But like others have said, I want to be able to tick (failed) redpoint burns, repeats, laps, etc, without clogging up the route page with my 100 “ticks.”  To me, the most useful feature of the ticks is the statistics that it generates (days on rock, etc), so I want to be able to track that data without my name showing up on the route page a dozen times. 

This. Personally I don't give a shit whether people can see when I flashed and when I fell. I doubt anyone other than me really cares, except maybe potential partners.  It would be nice to have some sort of "Attempt" list though. I don't tick everything I climb here, but I try to if I can remember it, and it would be nice to have the option to keep track of things that shut you down. If I hung more than once on something I don't generally list it as a tick. And if I didn't make it to the top, obviously don't list it. But its nice to know for personal use. And probably good to know for potential partners as well.

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 654

Without being able to see who climbs what, how will we establish superiority over other posters and win forum arguments?

' ' · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 461
Ryan Pfleger wrote:

This. Personally I don't give a shit whether people can see when I flashed and when I fell. I doubt anyone other than me really cares, except maybe potential partners.  It would be nice to have some sort of "Attempt" list though. I don't tick everything I climb here, but I try to if I can remember it, and it would be nice to have the option to keep track of things that shut you down. If I hung more than once on something I don't generally list it as a tick. And if I didn't make it to the top, obviously don't list it. But its nice to know for personal use. And probably good to know for potential partners as well.

why don't you use excel or similar?

Ziggy Chalkdust wrote:

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Jason Giblin · · Denver, CO · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 90

I would love to see this. I, like many others, use the ticks as a personal diary of sorts, and I like to tick every pitch I climb for documentation purposes. However, I can see how that is irritating to other users to see my multiple ticks on a route (especially my 9 ticks on Ultrasaurus haha).

Nick Ibarluzea · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 25
Ziggy Chalkdust wrote:

Excel and plenty of other methods would work. But you'd end up copying over a bunch of info that's already on MP about the route and it's just more effort if you have to use multiple tools to keep a public and private climbing log. This'd be a relatively small feature, seems like it'd be used and appreciated, and doesn't force anyone to change how they use the existing tick feature (you can keep ticking everything as public if you want).

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

This is how you can record private ticks:

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Suggestion: Private Ticks Option"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started