Mountain Project Logo

“Nigerian Prince” scam through MP

Original Post
Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

Anyone else get one of these?

Mountain Project
Hi Jim, this message was sent from Mountain Project member Linda Uiwe to you using the "Contact Member" feature.

"I am Miss. Linda Uiwe, the only daughter of the late Mr. Edward Uiwe, from the Côte d'Ivoire. My father deposited the sum of three million three hundred thousand euros in a bank here in Côte d'Ivoire before his death, he used my name as his only daughter and the beneficiary of money, his WILL indcate that unless I have an investment purposes overseas. I am now looking for your help to transfer the fund to your account abroad so that you can help me to invest it in some sensible and lucrative business in your country because this is my only hope for my future. I am willing to offer you 20% of the total fund if only you can help me out of my current situation. here my private email address for more detail; (lindauiwe@gmail.com )
Best regards Linda Uiwe (lindauiwe/at/g m a i l. c o m)"

Linda Uiwe

Reply to Linda Uiwe at lindauiwe@gmail.com.
Your email address was NOT shared. If you reply to this email, you WILL be sharing your email address with Linda Uiwe.

Sent by REI Adventure Projects Inc, 2525 Arapahoe Ave. #E4-715, Boulder CO 80302.
Part of the REI Co-op family, where a life outdoors is a life well lived.

iOS App Store     Android App Store

Free Mountain Project Stickers

REI

George Foster · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 12

Princess.

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

sounds legit.  let's see if they will use the funds to print a guidebook

Bill Shubert · · Lexington, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 55

Only 20%? Try to talk her up to giving you at least 35%. I bet she'll agree to it.

MP Team · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 4

Sorry about that, Jim.  

MP's internal warning sirens started going off this morning that this new user was sending a lot of Contact User messages - pretty much all similar to the one you received. Ms. Uiwe's account was disabled and, as she used the Contact User feature, she doesn't have your actual email address.

Again, apologies for the spam/opportunityforriches.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. This is your big opportunity to strike it rich. Man, I wish I were you. Some guys have all the luck.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469
MP Team wrote: Sorry about that, Jim.  

MP's internal warning sirens started going off this morning that this new user was sending a lot of Contact User messages - pretty much all similar to the one you received. Ms. Uiwe's account was disabled and, as she used the Contact User feature, she doesn't have your actual email address.

Again, apologies for the spam/opportunityforriches.

Thanks, and no worries.  Glad you guys shut the “princess” down and they don’t have our email addresses.

Randy Von Zee · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 19,118

What happened to Nick?

Randy Von Zee wrote: What happened to Nick?

Nothing happened to him. He's still the site manager, as far as I know. The Big Kahuna.

wing thing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 115
bruno-cx wrote:

He no longer owns the site, it's property of REI.  Thats twice that he has sold out an internet property to the man, and now he is an employee for REI.  

I believe he still runs/administers the MP site. I have no problem that REI bought it. Seems to have made little difference. But there was already a long thread on that.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098
Randy Von Zee wrote: What happened to Nick?

I stopped working for MP/REI about a month ago.  I no longer manage users, deal with the forum, write code, fix bugs, or build features.  I am still a regular volunteer admin (like the ~150 other volunteers) and can edit routes and areas.

England · · Colorado Springs · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 270
Nick Wilder wrote:

I stopped working for MP/REI about a month ago.  I no longer manage users, deal with the forum, write code, fix bugs, or build features.  I am still a regular volunteer admin (like the ~150 other volunteers) and can edit routes and areas.

Good for you! Go enjoy yourself. You have held the torch long enough on this S#!t show.

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

Can we use Active Junky with that offer?
bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516
Nick Wilder wrote:

Living the (American) dream

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 85

Only 3.3 million Euros?

Times must be tight in the old money world...  

Jake Gluck · · AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 119

Technically it is an Ivorian prince scam. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

If this was a Canadian prince or princess everyone would be throwing money at them.

Y'all are racist.

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

Bingo!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "“Nigerian Prince” scam through MP"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.