Mountain Project Logo

After recent losses of great Alpinist- who's left?

Original Post
Donald Tapia · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

After losing the likes of Steck, Lama, Kennedy, etc(and many more of course) in recent times, I'm curious to know who else you follow that are doing amazing things in the alpine? I don't pretend to know who's who of the elite climbers and I would love to know who else is out there(well known or not). Dani Arnold is one that  immediately comes to mind. Who else?

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

Barry Blanchard, Mark Twight, Conrad Anker, Jimmy Chin, Mark Smiley, Will Gadd, Graham Zimmerman, Simone Moro, Angela Hawse, Clint Helander, Ann Gilbert-Chase, Jason Thompson, Chantel Astorga, Colin Haley, Fabrizio Zangrilli, Caroline George, Steve House, Vince Anderson, Bryce Brown, Aaron Mulkey, Will Mayo, Tom Livingstone, Tim Banfield, John Thornton, Ines Papert, Pete Hoang, Carlos Buhler, Emilie Drinkwater, Freddy Wilkinson, Anna Pfaff, Kelly Cordes, Jon Griffith, and Nick Bullock ... just to name a few, haha.

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
AlpineIce wrote: Barry Blanchard, Conrad Anker, Jimmy Chin, Mark Smiley, Will Gadd, Graham Zimmerman, Simone Moro, Angela Hawse, Clint Helander, Ann Gilbert-Chase, Jason Thompson, Chantel Astorga, Colin Haley, Fabrizio Zangrilli, Caroline George, Steve House, Vince Anderson, Bryce Brown, Aaron Mulkey, Will Mayo, Tom Livingstone, Tim Banfield, John Thornton, Ines Papert, Pete Hoang, Carlos Buhler, Emilie Drinkwater, Freddy Wilkinson, Anna Pfaff, Kelly Cordes, Jon Griffith, and Nick Bullock ... just to name a few, haha.

Will Sim and Greg Boswell have been doing some nice routes in Alaska, Usidean Hawthorn too.

Daniel Melnyk · · Covina · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 50
AlpineIce wrote: Barry Blanchard, Conrad Anker, Jimmy Chin, Mark Smiley, Will Gadd, Graham Zimmerman, Simone Moro, Angela Hawse, Clint Helander, Ann Gilbert-Chase, Jason Thompson, Chantel Astorga, Colin Haley, Fabrizio Zangrilli, Caroline George, Steve House, Vince Anderson, Bryce Brown, Aaron Mulkey, Will Mayo, Tom Livingstone, Tim Banfield, John Thornton, Ines Papert, Pete Hoang, Carlos Buhler, Emilie Drinkwater, Freddy Wilkinson, Anna Pfaff, Kelly Cordes, Jon Griffith, and Nick Bullock ... just to name a few, haha.

Would you consider Mark Smiley as one of the greats?

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

I don't think Honnold would consider himself a great alpinist (or even really an alpinist) but the few things he has done on his brief forays into alpinism have certainly been great.

I believe that the majority of hardcore high-altitude alpinists are from parts of the world where we do not get much news out of. The Russians, Polish climbers, and others continue to do amazing things in the great ranges.

S2k4 MattOates · · Kremmling, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 126

I am

ChrisMurphy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Mick Fowler and Paul Ramsden 

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

Luka Lindic

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

didnt haley say he was done with alpinism

5.Seven Kevin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Big B wrote: didnt haley say he was done with alpinism

He's in Canada right now if im not mistaken, tearing up the Rockies 

Scottie Barnes · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

I’ll be one of them someday.

Peter Green · · Davis, CA and Sisters, OR · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

Nirmal "Nims" Purja Magar -- a Nepali who just climbed six of the 8ooom peaks in a month, helping with two rescues along the way.

Yes, he had Sherpas in support, used others' fixed lines, some bottled oxygen and several helicopter flights between base camps.

It is a staggeringly impressive accomplishment -- great alpinism!

His plan, if sponsorship comes through, is to climb all 14 this year -- late April onward, so about 6-7 months, depending on the latest of the prospective summits.  (The current record fastest for all 14 is about 7 YEARS.)

Of note, another climber has ambitions in progress of climbing 6 (perhaps more than 6) in under 365 days -- starting from the middle of last summer in the Karakoram.  This is planned without bottled oxygen, which is admirable style.

And of further note, the 'speed record' for just the 3 highest (which are located far apart) stands at over 3 years.

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
AlpineIce wrote: Barry Blanchard, Mark Twight, Conrad Anker, Jimmy Chin, Mark Smiley, Will Gadd, Graham Zimmerman, Simone Moro, Angela Hawse, Clint Helander, Ann Gilbert-Chase, Jason Thompson, Chantel Astorga, Colin Haley, Fabrizio Zangrilli, Caroline George, Steve House, Vince Anderson, Bryce Brown, Aaron Mulkey, Will Mayo, Tom Livingstone, Tim Banfield, John Thornton, Ines Papert, Pete Hoang, Carlos Buhler, Emilie Drinkwater, Freddy Wilkinson, Anna Pfaff, Kelly Cordes, Jon Griffith, and Nick Bullock ... just to name a few, haha.

Wonder what percent of these climbers' contemporaries died climbing... I would guess 25% at least

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Daniel Melnyk wrote:

Would you consider Mark Smiley as one of the greats?

Lol... Watch that video of him needing to get winched up the narrows pitch on the steck salathe

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177
mpech wrote:

Wonder what percent of these climbers' contemporaries died climbing... I would guess 25% at least

I recall Steve House saying he has climbed with 21 people who have now died in the mountains. 

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Dallin Carey wrote:

I recall Steve House saying he has climbed with 21 people who have now died in the mountains. 

How about Dr Doom?

Kurt Helling · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Josh Wharton 

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

I don't see Rolo's name up there. . .   just sayin'

Bryan E · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15

Marko Prezelj.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Donald Tapia wrote: After losing the likes of Steck, Lama, Kennedy, etc(and many more of course) in recent times, I'm curious to know who else you follow that are doing amazing things in the alpine? I don't pretend to know who's who of the elite climbers and I would love to know who else is out there(well known or not). Dani Arnold is one that  immediately comes to mind. Who else?

Now you talking who still have the potential to do rad new stuff, or just "A-list" who are still alive?

Cause AlpineIce's list has a lot of people who have either QUIT alpinism (Mark Twight, almost Will Gadd based on his enormocast interview) or won't be doing cutting edge stuff anymore (Conrad)

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25
master gumby wrote:

How about Dr Doom?

I believe he podcasts and shoots guns. No high end alpinism.

I took the OP's question to mean who is currently pushing the limits of alpinism.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "After recent losses of great Alpinist- who's left?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started