Mountain Project Logo

Where to leave unneeded gear while traveling for multiple purposes

Original Post
Ven Popov · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 202

Inspired by this thread ( mountainproject.com/forum/t…), I wanted to ask what do people do when they, for example, combine business and mountaineering travel. For example, I'm going to a conference in Europe this summer, and I'll have to bring a laptop and a bunch of other work materials. At the same time, I'm combining this opportunity to hike and climb in the alps before the conference. Obviously, I don't want to bring all of my work-related stuff with me on the hike. If anyone has done something like this, where do you leave gear for multiple days? Airport lockers (sounds very expensive)? Some other option?

Don't know if the details matter but I'll be flying into Geneva, take a bus to Chamonix, then hike and bivouac for 8 days, then come back to Chamonix/Geneva and fly to Innsburck where my conference is.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Most hotels will store for you.  

jackkelly00 · · Chocorua, NH · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 325

I don't know how long you are staying past your conference, but if you will be in the area for an extended time, renting a small storage unit ("base camp") is an option. Good luck!

Brian in SLC wrote: Most hotels will store for you.  

I thought about that, but I'm going straight on the hike from the airport so not staying at a hotel before that. I wonder of they'll store 1 duffel for a fee for 8 days?

jackkelly00 wrote: I don't know how long you are staying past your conference, but if you will be in the area for an extended time, renting a small storage unit ("base camp") is an option. Good luck!

Interesting idea. I wonder if the have storage units that are really small and not very expensive. Thanks!

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I've left gear as big as a couple surfboards with a hotel for as long as a week. If it's just a duffel maybe find out if there's a local climbing gym with lockers you can rent by the week/month. 

mbk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

There are frequently short-term storage facilities near airports.  E.g. “airport mini-storage Fresno”.

Some international airports have luggage storage facilities of their own, sometimes called “left luggage”.  ISTR Charles De Gaulle had one.

This worked. We weren't going to stay in any hotels and just camp all nights in the wilderness. But I booked a hotel for the last night (would be nice to shower as well before our flights), and they agreed to store some of my luggage for the week before that. Thanks for all the advice!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Where to leave unneeded gear while traveling fo…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started