Mountain Project Logo

Cho Oyu Spring ascent

Original Post
Ross Fouladi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys,
Looking to plan my second trip to Nepal in the Spring of 2020. I went in 2017 for a few months; some trekking, and 3 of the more prominent trekking peaks (island, Mera, Labuche East). I live in Seattle and have done quite a few climbs in the cascades, but am looking to go back to Nepal and set my sights on something different. Its always been an ambition of mine to climb an 8000er, and ideally if possible, an 8000er without supplemental oxygen. Got as high as 22,000 last trip carrying all my own gear and I felt great while moving quickly, not once during the entirety of the trip did I experience any altitude symptoms. I was hoping someone could give some more information on what an ascent of Cho You without Os would look like. I understand an ascent without oxygen would be extremely difficult, but if any more information could be provided that would be appreciated.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Ross Fouladi wrote: Hey guys,
Looking to plan my second trip to Nepal in the Spring of 2020. I went in 2017 for a few months; some trekking, and 3 of the more prominent trekking peaks (island, Mera, Labuche East). I live in Seattle and have done quite a few climbs in the cascades, but am looking to go back to Nepal and set my sights on something different. Its always been an ambition of mine to climb an 8000er, and ideally if possible, an 8000er without supplemental oxygen. Got as high as 22,000 last trip carrying all my own gear and I felt great while moving quickly, not once during the entirety of the trip did I experience any altitude symptoms. I was hoping someone could give some more information on what an ascent of Cho You without Os would look like. I understand an ascent without oxygen would be extremely difficult, but if any more information could be provided that would be appreciated.

Cho You, too, buddy!

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

I believe summitting Cho Oyu without supplemental oxygen is fairly common.
More risk of failure and frostbite.
Check with your outfitter?
Perhaps have Os available if needed?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Well appreciated.
Having Os available if necessary was definitely on the list.
Is there any real added value going through a more expensive western outfitter? On a more dangerous/technical 8000er it seems the added cost might be warranted. For Cho You however (not belittling its difficulty) it seems it is straightforward enough that it wouldn't make much of a difference. 

I've looked into some local guiding services, but if anyone has reccomendations throw them in. 

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Iceland Trekking organized a family climb to Chulu Far East for us about 5 years ago. Included visiting Nar Phu, which was fascinating.
Price was very reasonable and was well organized. I'd use them again any time.
Iceland Trekking

Many years ago, my wife and I piggy backed on a permit held by IMG (International Mountain Guides.) They handled everything up to ABC and we were on our own above that.
Also very well organized, but substantially more expensive (and correspondingly more deluxe.)
IMG

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Cho Oyu Spring ascent"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started