Mountain Project Logo

Sprinter has competition?!?

Nonce One · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

At one point the Sprinter in 4WD wasn’t officially available in the US so no MB dealer would touch them. Now that they are officially sold in the US, dealers will work on them. If you find forums be sure to check the dates of the posts and the year of the Sprinter.

You can also search military/govt surplus sites as there were AWD vans from GMC group. After peak oil when the gas prices went up the sales went down and they stopped making them. Look in the pacific NW, you can find them on CL from time to time.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

Great news, as a van is in my 2 year plan. Stiffer competition is a good thing.

christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306
dug1ross wrote: FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

Found On Road Dead

bernard wolfe · · birmingham, al · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 265

Was parked next to this guy while at work last week.......in Germany.  The Euro-model of the Transit, i presume.  Mechanics notwithstanding, it was trimmed out nicely and looked sharp.
Karl Walters · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 106

I have a 2WD Transit and can’t thjnk of many cases where even an AWD version would dramatically change where I take the vehicle since the angle of approach, height, and length make it pretty terrible off road

Karl Walters wrote: I have a 2WD Transit and can’t thjnk of many cases where even an AWD version would dramatically change where I take the vehicle since the angle of approach, height, and length make it pretty terrible off road

I can think of a few. My driveway. I-80 on chain control. Most of Idaho during the winter.

Karl Walters · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 106

I've gotten through I-80 near Tahoe with a 2WD Transit with snow tires and been fine, but yah, that is the one scenario I would for sure care about/want AWD.  I feel that most people just focus on off-road/trail usage and I've definitely seen people get in some shitty scenarios with 4WD Sprinters on some of the fire roads near Tahoe because they didn't realize that geometry can matter more than just how many wheels are powered.

Karl Walters wrote:I've definitely seen people get in some shitty scenarios with 4WD Sprinters on some of the fire roads near Tahoe because they didn't realize that geometry can matter more than just how many wheels are powered.

You're absolutely right. If I were to get a new Transit, it would be because I expect to live out if it at least a fair chunk of the year. I don't really want to offroad my house. Coming from Idaho, I  notice that the plows here are on top of it! I agree, I80 is almost always doable in 2wd with snow tires. But its nice to be legal, without hasseling with chains. And I have had to chain up to get out of my driveway when I need to be to work before my plow guy comes... even with 4wd, winter tires and locking diff.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

It's not just driving in the snow. I have never had 4wd due to fuel economy concerns, but after almost 30 years of trying to drive into more remote areas in 2wd vehicles, a recent 4wd purchase has been a game changer...and as result, the wife is much happier and less stressed on some of our trips. I don't think that I'd go 2wd again. 

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

I would like more mini vans with pop tops in the USA, like the mercedes marco polo and VW california 

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Ashort wrote: I would like more mini vans with pop tops in the USA, like the mercedes marco polo and VW california 

We all would, but we can't 

thanks Trump
Nonce One · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
Ashort wrote: I would like more mini vans with pop tops in the USA, like the mercedes marco polo and VW california 

Me too. But I decided to look up one of those California’s cost and it was a lot more than I epxetecd. Maybe I was thinking what a lot of others were thinking of older Westfalias, which are expensive.... just.... go price out a California.

And you’ll see why it’s not in the US as there other options.
Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445
Luke Roberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Yeah, sprinters have always had competition they just became trendy for some reason. Never understood why being as you can get more bang for your buck when you look at almost any other comparable option. And yeah, they are shit. Drove two for an old job I had. Constantly broke down with weird issues, hard to find a competent mechanic, not comfortable ride, bad in high wind, the list goes on and on.  But I guess people who can spend 30k on two mountain bikes can afford to throw their money away in other ways too. 

Nathan Hackmeister · · Colebrook, CT · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 2,622
. Mobes wrote:

Mercedes turbo diesels are known to go for longer than most other motors and with great mileage to boot but really it's just another trend like beards, tats and hoppy beer. Wait for the hybrid van with built-in solar generation, that trend will take over the world.

Until you have to drop $5k+ to replace the battery...

Jake G · · Maryland · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 10

I have this old 07 forester at home that's big enough to unfold a crash pad in and still sit up straight in a crazy creek. And the payment is $0. Imagine all the trips you can afford to go on for the $500 a month a new van would cost you. 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Nathan Hackmeister wrote:

Until you have to drop $5k+ to replace the battery...

Read post above. Mucho maintenance even if you put 500k on the engine. Vansions arent made for dirtbags anyways, they are made for people afraid of sleeping on the dirt that feel the need to have a ton of shit with them wherever they go. I havent heard too many complaints from people with electric and hybrid vehicles and the thought of having a filled up battery after the vehicle sits in the sun for a few days is almost priceless.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Correct me if i’m wrong here.

A big van built out with all your stuff is still that, whether 4x4 or not. At best it would help on snowy roads or some sand. You’d be asking for trouble to do anything beyond that.

If you want a bed, lights, and heater, there are cab-over campers for trucks available in any height and weight you want. Available for a Tacoma up to a 1-ton American. They have a stilt setup that would allow you leave the whole thing at camp and get your truck back. They’re so popular that you can frequently find them used for super cheap. If your truck dies, you don’t need a new build when you replace it. Seatbelts up front for 4-5 people in most trucks.

I have a home and have only slept in a walmart parking lot once or twice, so i guess i don’t get it.

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

This is what 100% Optimization of travel vehicles looks like. GTFO with that amatuer Sprinter van soy milk crap

Nathan Hackmeister · · Colebrook, CT · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 2,622

This dude - former head of Disney Imagineering - is doing it right lol
https://blog.rvshare.com/survival-rv/

Of course, that’s pretty spendy.

The military always has surplus trucks and tactical vehicles of all sorts up for auction:

https://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/search.ips#
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Sprinter has competition?!?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started