Mountain Project Logo

SCAMMER ALERT! BUYER BEWARE (LUCAS SIMMONS)

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
James Bing · · Salem, NH · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
bkozak wrote:

Dude, he even deleted his account!  Search Bart R in the users section and there's nothing there.  He's gone.  I was the first person to point out his posts seemed suspicious and he got really indignant about it and even created a separate forum post asking how to "report critical d-bags" that got deleted pretty quick.  Seems weird enough to delete all of your previous for-sale posts so there's no transaction history for people to evaluate you as a seller when you can easily just add a comment saying "ITEMS SOLD" and edit that in to the description, but deleting his profile right after all this is super sketch.

Hope nobody got screwed cuz of it :/

Tyler Holub · · Denver, CO · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 5
James Bing wrote:

Hope nobody got screwed cuz of it :/

Bart was legit, bought his cams and they came in perfect condition, thankfully. I was getting worried after reading about this guy, but luckily, bart came through

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Tyler Holub wrote:

Bart was legit, bought his cams and they came in perfect condition, thankfully. I was getting worried after reading about this guy, but luckily, bart came through

I’ll admit even I’ve deleted my for sale threads after something sold. In my mind it’s just so other people don’t waste their time clicking on it cause dude, I ain’t got it. 

Let’s try to make this a straight forward buy/sell/trade marketplace.
Always check somebody’s profile before you even message them, if they haven’t posted ten times it’s hard to trust them
If they won’t post pictures, don’t bother.Use the PayPal protection if you’re remotely worried. As a seller, make sure you get the money first, I don’t alway do that myself, over trusting of other humans.Trades, dude y’all just gotta trust each other, which is so much of what climbing is about in general.
As bill and ted said“Be excellent to each other”
Andrew Williams · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625
Tyler Holub wrote:

Yup, I bought the slings from Bart. He was very communicative and everything showed up perfect. He probably deleted his account because of the harassment he got. 

David Pagel · · Milwaukee · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 180

I’m pretty sure I posted earlier about my 10+ years of buying and selling on hobbies through two hobbies (paintball then climbing)

This shit happens often in the PB community (I much shadier community as a whole) and this is the very first time going into a sale that I thought it was a scam, hence why I took the proper precautions and took photos of everything.

One thing pbnation.com does REALLY well is their simple rating and feedback thread. Someone who continually scams people would always need to create new profiles over scamming a few people, then finally getting called out like I did to this dude. I will post on the app additions page to see if they can add something like it, but I think it’s we’ll past due that we get a feedback section

Received this email from PayPal. I would encourage others to open cases as well! If you “gifted” a transaction I would still contact PayPal and reference this thread. Anyone who is in a case is more than welcome to contact me for information like the case number to reference this seller scamming people on a consistent basis.

Erica Larson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0
Layne Zuelke wrote: I’m still waiting on a set of quickdraws from Lucas. Surprise surprise. Can’t temember how I paid. I used Venmo but unsure of the method.
Last email was on Fri when he said package was out but he’d lost the tracking #. 

Were they Petzl quickdraws? I am pretty sure they are mine. He stole 10 petzl draws and 60m rasta rope from me. 

Erica Larson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0
Delaney Bray-Stone wrote: I was in touch with him about buying a rope...I paid for buyer protection. He then tried convincing me that I needed to confirm receipt of the item before he sent it, saying that otherwise the funds would be frozen and he needed the money to afford the shipping... I told him to issue a refund so that I could try sending it 'as a friend', but at this point I was sketched out and intended to just bail once he did so. Once he refunded I just stopped contact. Good to know I was correct in doing so, I felt like a bit of an ass for it but he seemed sketchy and I opted to trust my spidey senses.

Moral of the story: Use buyer protection! Especially for people that are new to the forum / selling.

I hope y'all that got burned get your money back. What an absolute jerk, I hope he gets what's coming to him.

Hey was the rope he was selling a 60m rasta colored rope? If so, I am pretty sure that is mine that he stole from me. 

Delaney Bray-Stone · · Kimberley, BC · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 5
Erica Larson wrote:

Hey was the rope he was selling a 60m rasta colored rope? If so, I am pretty sure that is mine that he stole from me. 

No it was a sterling rope that he was 'selling'. How did he end up stealing it from you? You know him in person?

Did you send him your quick draws and rope without him paying? I don’t get how that works

Genie Genie · · In A Bottle · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

It would seem according to his Facebook he's a North Carolina local.

Maybe some North Carolina locals can be on the look out

Delaney Bray-Stone · · Kimberley, BC · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 5
David Pagel wrote: Did you send him your quick draws and rope without him paying? I don’t get how that works

Her account was created today to make these two posts... seems fishy. Maybe this is Lucas trying to throw a curve ball lol.

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120
Delaney Bray-Stone wrote:

Her account was created today to make these two posts... seems fishy. Maybe this is Lucas trying to throw a curve ball lol.

Maybe you're Lucas throwing another curve ball. 

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120
Caleb Schwarz wrote:

Maybe you're Lucas throwing another curve ball. 

MAYBE I'M LUCAS

D Ly · · Walnut, CA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Wouldn't trust that Erica Larson. Account was barely made today lol

Michael Atlas · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 35

I doubt erika is Lucas and/or is in cahoots with him.  She just made this post to the Seneca rocks Facebook forum.  She met him at a crag and for one reason or another he now has her draws, rope, and bag.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wcclimbers/permalink/1942055729233242/

If he is an nc local, I can make a post or two in some of the nc forums ( I live in charlotte).  But quite honestly what else am I saying besides, does anybody know this guy?

Jack Brazil · · Mars Hill, NC · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Lucas is a tool, he's been hanging around Boone making nice ladies feel uncomfortable.

Jack, your comment is also for some reason kind of unsettling to me as well.  You are also a brand new user.  What made you jump on mountain project and comment on this forum all the sudden.  

Mike K · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

We should probably start a scammer thread in any case. Would be useful to check before making any transactions.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started