Mountain Project Logo

Page Improvements Stripping Out White Space

Original Post
Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

When a page improvement is incorporated, it seems to lump all the given paragraphs into one big paragraph. At least it appears that way on my iPad and iPhone.

One example out of many:
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105933801/flake-n-bake#Comment-116718527Hi

The information becomes tedious to read.

Erik W · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 280

That is indeed a rough one to read. Did you submit the page improvement for that one, Bill?

Erik Werner wrote: That is indeed a rough one to read. Did you submit the page improvement for that one, Bill?

I did. I submitted it from an iPad. Good to know it isn’t just my browsers / devices.

Here is another example: mountainproject.com/area/10…
Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191

Thanks for bringing this up, Bill.

When I get a "page improvement", I sometimes notice the text clumped together. I can't tell if this if this is the submitter's style or not, but generally go back and edit the page again to insert paragraph breaks. Being easily readable is important. But sometimes we get a lot of things to look at, making it hard to take much time on each item.

If this isn't easily fixable by Erik, then maybe one has to send a separate "Improve this page" request to add in the paragraph breaks (and other white space) to make things readable.  

Your suggestion about a new section "Descent" is a good one. More alpine and long routes should have such a section.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

I'm having this issue when I'm posting on my phone in general, not just for page improvements.

I would make a post, and it would be clearly looking like it is broken into sections, before I post a reply, and then the spaces between the paragraphs get stripped out when the message actually posts.

I've gone back to edit, and added several blank lines after each paragraph, in order to create spaces in the final message. Only happens when I post from the phone, not from a laptop. 

About comments: me too, Lena. Eventually I seem to get the right number of returns added to my posts. But it sometimes means editing  3 or 4 times.

For people like rgold who add large volumes of great content ... well, not sure I would have the patience.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Bill Lawry wrote: About comments: me too, Lena. Eventually I seem to get the right number of returns added to my posts. But it sometimes means editing  3 or 4 times.

For people like rgold who add large volumes of great content ... well, not sure I would have the patience.

I suspect rgold is adding his content from a desktop or laptop. Phones are a poor device for creating / editing a large amount (more than a couple of short sentences) of content.

Marc801 C wrote:

I suspect rgold is adding his content from a desktop or laptop. Phones are a poor device for creating / editing a large amount (more than a couple of short sentences) of content.

You may be right.

I have not used a desktop to add content here for many moons.

I went back to the first linked page to try to add returns to improve readability - like I sometimes can with forum posts.  The last thing I just tried was to add four returns between paragraphs. But no joy.

This was on an iPad Air 2

khoa · · Tacomarado · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 53

ive had the same problem here, added line breaks that never got added: https://www.mountainproject.com/route/108581478/the-odyssey

on desktop. even noticed that my contribution was stripped of those lines when i was waiting for "approval". Figured it was just a bug until it was approved later and came back w/o my changes

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Page Improvements Stripping Out White Space"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started