Mountain Project Logo

Problem uploading photo

Original Post
rob bauer · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 3,929

I've been trying to add a photo to a route in the 'Platte for several days now and each time it gets about 60% uploaded (15 seconds or so) and then "This site can't be reached. The connection was reset." pops up on the screen.  i'm pretty sure the file isn't too big.  Suggestions?  It's a jpeg from Lightroom, just like so many others over the years.

Erik W · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 280

Hey Rob, sorry for the difficulties in posting the pic. Which area are you looking to post to? And what's the size of the img?

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,381

I have had a problem too.  The site keeps saying “our server has a temporary problem”.  It has done this for a week.

Jay, can you post a link to the page you are attempting to add the image to?

Java Dome, South Face.  file is 10,193K via one method, 10.4 on another.  64% is the most headway I've made before the crash.
It doesn't say the file is too large, and I don't see any criteria other than a minimum of 600x600 pixels.

Well, it seems there's been a change in the matrix; my long-standing presets no longer upload.  Leo was able to resize and load one, so I tried it.  When I get my file resized down to 4 megapixels, it loads fine.  Doesn't look that much worse than my computer.  Problem fixed.  
(Probably too many butt-shots to store easily... maybe we should purge most of them and send them back to the owners' albums?)

I do know that currently we resize images to 2000 on the long axis, so uploading anything larger won't add to resolution. We're digging through the code to see if why certain file sizes are all of a sudden error-ing.  

Thanks for the details, and I'm glad you got your img uploaded.

This is the page I can’t load a photo to.

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/114949932/great-barrier-reef

Other routes at the Oz too.

Jay, what's the file size you're trying to upload? 

2.1 mb

Ooof.  It seems to be an intermittent issue that has popped up now and again, but is becoming more frequent. Will be digging into it.

Brian Huber · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 1

Hey Rob and Jay, we believe we've resolved the photo upload issue—our tests indicate that the requests are no longer timing out. We're still keeping our eyes on things but feel free to let us know if you experience any further issues.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Problem uploading photo"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started