Mountain Project Logo

What's the best non-climbing vacation you've been on?

Original Post
Kevin R · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2008 · Points: 290

It recently occurred to me that all of the trips / vacations I've been on in the past 10-12 years have all been climbing trips (aside from a few weekend mountain bike trips).  I discussed this with one of my partners and he said the same thing.  The thought of going on a cruise, or sitting on a beach for a week sounds boring as hell (I can sit on a beach for about 2 hours, then I'm done with it).  

So what are the best non-climbing trips you've taken?

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

Heli/Split Boarding in the Adamants(Canada)

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674

Belize: ATM cave, drive out to Caracol, sleeping in a jungle hut, snorkeling at Ambergris caye.

Galapagos: Las Grietas, Los Tuneles, Kicker Rock

Taking a "Midnight on the Orient Express" type train from Kiev to Odessa

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Skiing or mountain biking all around B.C. and Alberta.

Extended weekend trips racing motorcycles. Between rounds there’s lots of down time to relax and hang out with friends.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

Skiing in the alps; sailing in the Caribbean; live-aboard scuba diving in the Red Sea; visiting Petra, Jerusalem and Jaffa in Israel and Jordan.

If you are not a beach person but want the most relaxing vacation, the sailign trip in the Caribbean was tough to beat.  It was on a big catamaran with 4 guest staterooms, each with a head.  The boat was crewed and all the food and alcohol (except for 1 dinner and 1 bar visit ashore) was included.  Wake up, go swim, eat, nap, repeat.  The boat would drop anchor someplace new each day.

Keatan · · AZ · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50

2 weeks skiing in Hokkaido. 

Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Surfing in Puerto Rico. Cheap travel and accommodation. Good food and great culture.
I could easily live there. There’s great hiking, riding and climbing if you fancy. I’d say go surf or snorkel!

*Puerto Rico is a US Territory so you don’t need a passport to travel to and from.

Jake Hannon · · Ogden, UT · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 10

2nd surfing pow and gorging ramen in Hokkaido 

Brian Hansen · · West of Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 45

River trips, either in Idaho (Main or Middle Fork Salmon), Utah (Green River), or of course the Colorado in the Grand Canyon.

Aditya Venkataraman · · Lafayette, CA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 91

Was an extended family trip to Western Austria/Switzrland to do a lot of amazing hiking!

B Jolley · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 172

Private cruise in the Galapagos Islands. Diving with hammer head sharks, snorkeling with penguins, surfing with dolphins, hiking among animals that don't fear you, and other adventures.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Dylan B. wrote: You don’t have to do only one thing on a trip. My best vacations include some combination of hiking, climbing, museums, theater, canoeing, pub crawls, local cuisine, visiting historical and natural sites, cycling, art galleries, concerts, and any number of other things. 

Yes, this!

My favorite climbing trips are the ones where there is a lot to do on rest days. Europe is great for this. 

I had done one trip to an all-inclusive Caribbean resort back when my kids were little. It was nice, but mostly because we went with several other family friends. Otherwise, would have been quite boring. 

Pretty much all of my non-climbing trips have been for the sake of, and the benefit of, family members. I’ve enjoyed them, but would have enjoyed them even more if they had included a few opportunities for climbing. 
Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

Skydiving Zephyr Hills for 5 days...averaged 7 jumps a day out of a Pilatus Turbo Porter or a free trip to Panama jumping out of a Casa 212 in '89, although that was a full gear dive at night...

Professor Booty · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 2

#1: Scuba diving all day for two weeks doing reef conservation work from a 1-acre island ~30 miles off the coast of Belize.

#2: Surfing all day and keeping tabs all night on sea turtles (mostly leatherbacks, but also greens and olive ridleys) in Costa Rica.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

honeymoon with my ex-wife in Playa de Carmen.  it's the only non-climbing vacation i've been on as an adult.

Buck Rogers · · West Point, NY · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 240
Buck Rio wrote: Skydiving Zephyr Hills for 5 days...averaged 7 jumps a day out of a Pilatus Turbo Porter or a free trip to Panama jumping out of a Casa 212 in '89, although that was a full gear dive at night...

You’ve got a mustard stain, eh?  Which unit?

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I don't have to travel to have a blast.

I own high explosives.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Buck Rogers wrote:

You’ve got a mustard stain, eh?  Which unit?

7th sfg

Back when they were still at Bragg
Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

Diving and kiteboard lessons in Dominican republic. Same thing in Florida, and also sailing lessons in key largo. And I just started skydiving last summer, which has been surreal. 

TJ B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26

Allowing yourself some moments to just sit and relax completely recharges the battery to go at life (and climbing) hard. Wife and I can sit on a beach or patio with a view for hours and days listening to music, talking and drinking. 

Our favorites have been the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Belize/Guatamala and then we travel a lot to see concerts. In my experience, if you find something non-climbing that you love then you get a chance to step away from climbing and build up stoke

Cosmic Charlie · · Washington · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
bruno-cx wrote: Hookers, Blow and Sin.

in his Sprinter van

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What's the best non-climbing vacation you've be…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started