Mountain Project Logo

Bring All Your Friends

Original Post
Im Sorry · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

Make sure when you go climb outside you invite your ENTIRE gym crew.  Like please bring them all.  Don't go in a sly little duo of 2.  Like why do that?!?!.  BRING EVERYBODY.  And if anyone tosses you salt go "try" out that hard route they are posted under and sit on it for 15-20 mins.  Have a great day outside! 

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265
Christian . wrote: Make sure when you go climb outside you invite your ENTIRE gym crew.  Like please bring them all.  Don't go in a sly little duo of 2.  Like why do that?!?!.  BRING EVERYBODY.  And if anyone tosses you salt go "try" out that hard route they are posted under and sit on it for 15-20 mins.  Have a great day outside! 

You should make yourself a margarita so you have something to do with all that salt.

Noah R · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Sucks to live in Cali huh

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300
Rob T wrote:

Or Utah, based on my experience you’re apparently not even supposed to leave the house unless you’re rolling at least 4 deep. 

And in Colorado. Also, make sure everyone in your group has to go bolt-to-bolt on that 5.12 you have no hope of sending, so you all can spend half an hour hanging on each bolt, greasing up all the holds and saying stuff like, "if I throw a heel hook on this crystal, I think I can side slap that sloper and bicyle my way to that right hand crimp gaston, then foot dyno to the anchor and do a bat hang while I clip..."

Noah R · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Makes me feel better about being in Vermont. Thanks for that

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Just go tradding. No bullshit, ever.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Tradiban wrote: Just go tradding. No bullshit, ever.

Apparently you haven't been to the Gunks or North Conway NH.

Bill Lundeen · · Fort Bragg, CA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 120

Welcome to the" Brave" New World.  It's good that people are finding the outdoors and climbing (look what it's done for us... can you deny that life-affirming sense we get?) but holy shite, batman! The crowds in popular destinations have seemed to exponentially explode in the last couple years.  My choice, then?  As someone who equates climbing with solitude, quiet, wilderness experience (hey, I know that's weird if you're 25--but I'm 63) I have given up places I've loved (Joshua Tree, Red Rocks, etc) and put them on the altar of sacrifice to the masses and now seek more lonesome, obscure places like... (thought I'd tell you where, huh?).  I still find the quiet I seek, even though I do terribly miss the classics.  Also, suck it up and go during non-prime times (colder or hotter).

Eugenel Espiritu · · Pennsylvania · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,615

It's a blessing in disguise: it forces you to climb harder because a crowd rarely gathers on anything harder than 11b.

But this shit happens everywhere, east coast, west coast, no coast. Sport routes at Red River and New River Gorge on anything 10b and below can have conga lines for the entire day. Two weeks ago, a group of 10+ from Pittsburgh were doing laps on a 10b classic; f-ing laps!

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516

Ive found if you stick to routes in the “what’s new” section instead of the “most popular” section, you don’t have this problem.  As an added bonus, you might get to trundle something. 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Rob T wrote:

Definitely disagree with that. Maybe if it’s one of those ricey crags w a single 5.8, but I’ve run into groups of 6+ at Lost Arrow, Building Blocks, Stripe Rock, & Oddesy, not to mention the corridors. Maybe if you walk 25 min or more,  but that’s maybe 10% of the rock there. 

Weekdays.

But, yeah, even lonely little Boise suddenly has heaps more people....largely from those other states. But, again, go the sorts of times, days and seasons that Jaren goes out, and it's a lot quieter.

Best, Helen
Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

We're about due for a new plague. Anti-vaxxers are helping us out with that. You just got to have a little patience.

Magpie79 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
Okey dokey
Matt Clay · · PNW · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1,032

The crowds associated with the Red were one of my biggest concerns before moving closer a year ago. In a year of climbing I've spent two afternoons climbing next to another group and never waited for a route. I mostly get out on weekdays, so probably not a true representation, but if you want solitude I think it can be found when you reset your expectations and reprioritize which crags and climbs you get on.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Just talk about how you haul a few dead bodies out like we do in Cali.

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Magpie79 wrote:
Okey dokey

This is actually funny, I did a laugh

Jeff Luton wrote:

This is actually funny, I did a laugh

Trolling: am I doing it right?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Magpie79 wrote:

Trolling: am I doing it right?

Nah. No outrage generated. 

Marc801 C wrote:

Nah. No outrage generated. 

Bummer. I guess I don't have it in me.

Matthew Bertolatus · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 90
Christian . wrote: Make sure when you go climb outside you invite your ENTIRE gym crew.  Like please bring them all.  Don't go in a sly little duo of 2.  Like why do that?!?!.  BRING EVERYBODY.  And if anyone tosses you salt go "try" out that hard route they are posted under and sit on it for 15-20 mins.  Have a great day outside! 

You know you can't count it as a redpoint if you start from the high horse you're already on. 

Rob warden The space lizard · · Now...where? · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote: Just go tradding. No bullshit, ever.

Indian fuckin creek? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Bring All Your Friends"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started