Mountain Project Logo

David Lama, Hansjörg Auer and Jess Roskelley missing

Original Post
Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

reports of David Lama/partners missing in a Canadian avalanche are starting to come in.....godspeed to the rescuers and prayers for all those involved!
https://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/alpinism/david-lama-hansjorg-auer-missing-in-canada.html

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

Oh God no.

Looks like rosskelley might be missing too

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

My heart sank reading this.  Hoping for the best.  Hansjorg Auer was with Lama, it's unclear whether or not Jess Roskelley was with them as well. I hope not.

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

Hansjörg Auer and possibly Jess Roskelley missing along with David. It goes without saying, but really hoping for the best here. 

Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230

Very sad news. Jaw dropping. The best in the world are missing. Hard to be optimistic with the history of these types of early reports

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 275

Strong and knowledgeable dudes. Positive thoughts. 

Jordan Whitley · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 240

man, that's a strong team... hoping for the best

Broken Arrow · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I just met David in Ouray in January.  One of the nicest Pro's I've ever talked to. I can't believe this.   I hope for the best for him and his party. 

Jess Roskelley was with David Lama and Hansjorg Auer on Howse. Very sad news.  I expect the details will come out through official channels today.

Rest easy, boys.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Nick Sweeney wrote: Jess Roskelley was with David Lama and Hansjorg Auer. Very sad news.  I expect the details will come out through official channels today.

Rest easy, boys.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Official?

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

Oh no this is terrible news. The avalanche was on Wednesday.

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

Nick you beat me too it..
I was just going to post the same article from the father. RIP Gentleman...way to giv'er

michalm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 754

Some of the most inspirational climbers of our generation were in that avalanche.
Hansjorg, to me, was perhaps the most inspirational climber alive. He climbed with the epitome of style, ground-up, with humility, courageously, and intelligently. He saw beyond himself and gave back to his community.
It is unfortunate that the greatest alpinists who set the standard that many of us can only dream about are also the ones who seem to go the soonest. There is a long legacy of the greatest, the most talented, and the boldest taking leave of us far too young. We can always hope for the best, but the mountains are cold and callous and have no regard for our deepest desires.

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40
Nick Sweeney wrote: Hometown newspaper article:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/apr/18/climbers-jess-roskelley-david-lama-hansjorg-auer-f/?fbclid=IwAR2DSY8HNs_BwmZJIdXVbbPJPdsef9YeCNSpx2RBOFYQL6-xPfFCtbzTB3o

Per the article:
“They’re dead. They aren’t missing,” Roskelley said.

This was said by the Dad rosskelly, not the actually rosskelly who was in the group. 

The article makes it seem like he made that decision with minimal actual information.

Man... John having to go through all of that... Unbelievable.

Rosskelley and Helander's Mt. Huntington climb got me hyped.. The Alpinist issue with their South Ridge climb on it was the first Alpinist issue I had bought in a long time.

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54
PatMas wrote:

This was said by the Dad rosskelly, not the actually rosskelly who was in the group. 

The article makes it seem like he made that decision with minimal actual information.

Probably safe to assume he has more information than we do. Not to mention that the information we have (from the same article) is that they found avalanche debris strewn with climbing gear and a body. A pragmatic alpine climber will know what this means.

Very sad. Even though we all know no human is an invincible superhero, sometimes you see what they're doing and start to forget...
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

I had this news this morning from my alpinist best friend in the PDX area. My sympathies to all, but especially the ice/alpine community. It is small and tightknit, and I know this hits hard.

Best, Helen

Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,376

RIP. Such a loss.
Heroes of the alpine, and by all accounts great people.

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40
abandon moderation wrote:

Probably safe to assume he has more information than we do. Not to mention that the information we have (from the same article) is that they found avalanche debris strewn with climbing gear and a body. A pragmatic alpine climber will know what this means.

Very sad. Even though we all know no human is an invincible superhero, sometimes you see what they're doing and start to forget...

True, but still seems a little premature to "call it", if you will. People survive crazy things sometime, and they have all pulled of some crazy stuff, hopefully they have one more amazing thing to add to the resume by surviving this one.  

Climb On · · Everywhere · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
PatMas wrote:

True, but still seems a little premature to "call it", if you will. People survive crazy things sometime, and they have all pulled of some crazy stuff, hopefully they have one more amazing thing to add to the resume by surviving this one.  

The words of a grieving father. Not sure why you’re trying to pick them apart. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "David Lama, Hansjörg Auer and Jess Roskelley mi…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started