Mountain Project Logo

What kind of Cert's are our climbing coaches holding these days?

Original Post
Tim FromMaine · · Maine->Colorado · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 11

Looking into taking some online courses to educate myself on Training and Nutrition in regards to coaching climbing (youth mostly). From the sounds of it, the National Association of Sports Medicine is quite popular.

The American Fitness Professional Association has some holistic/youth specific courses that for me personally sound more interesting but I'm wondering if one is more accepted/respected over the other?

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

aren't most 90% of Youth Coaches stoner college kids trying to get free day passes sans being a belay slave?

Tim FromMaine · · Maine->Colorado · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 11
Redyns wrote: aren't most 90% of Youth Coaches stoner college kids trying to get free day passes sans being a belay slave?

Yeah, I was one of them, but I'd like to think that things are changing for the better with modern facilities and higher standards and expectations of coaches. With so many climbers learning to climb in the gym I think it's important that the gym staff do their best to use climbing as a vehicle to teach good habits, ethics, morals, healthier lifestyle etc. Not just how to crush all of our projects.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Tim FromMaine wrote:

Yeah, I was one of them, but I'd like to think that things are changing for the better with modern facilities and higher standards and expectations of coaches. With so many climbers learning to climb in the gym I think it's important that the gym staff do their best to use climbing as a vehicle to teach good habits, ethics, morals, healthier lifestyle etc. Not just how to crush all of our projects.

Trust me. We don't want you forcing your hippy lifestyle on our children. You are hired to coach for success in climbing, that's it. Stay in your lane.

That said, it would be nice if the youth coaches actually knew something about fitness so look for some certs in training please but more importantly practice what you preach and actually do some real training to set an example. I will take an athlete over a "certified" chump any day for a coach.

Godspeed.
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

You could try the Bechtel clinic
Coaching clinic

Edit- oops, not online. 

5.Seven Kevin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

YeAh u diRty hippiE!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "What kind of Cert's are our climbing coaches ho…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started