Mountain Project Logo

Do Miura VS stretch?

Original Post
Jeffrey K · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

My search on this subject has revealed vastly conflicting information so I'm hoping to get a clear answer before dropping the cash on these shoes!

At the store the 43.5 felt perfect, the 43 felt very tight and 42.5 was excruciating.

Can anyone that has bought a pair of Miura VS give some input on how many sizes, if at all, they seemed to stretch?

Climb On · · Everywhere · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

My old ones stretched about 1/2 size but it took forever. I can’t say for the newer models. 

Kalli Schumacher · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 1

In my opinion, it’s not worth the time it takes. Size them nice out of the box. Fuck waiting for months for them to feel even ok (though it will happen eventually...)

This is coming from going from a 35.5 to a 36.5 over about five pairs of miura vs. To saying screw tight shoes and climbing in 39 rogues and 37.5 tc pros. 

Igor Chained · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 110

They do. I usually go with size 10 for 5.10(hi-angle). Went with 9.5 for Miuras. I also have a super comfy TC pro size 10.
The Miuras are still a little tight but I rarely wear it, only when resoling the hi-angles.
If 43.5 felt perfect at the store, I'd go with 43 because it will stretch.

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I've had two pairs of these and they stretched about a half size. For the first few sessions I thought maybe they were too tight but after stretching and breaking in the fit was perfect.

Bill Shubert · · Lexington, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 55

I always get my miuras tight, so for the first week it's painful to climb. The second week is only uncomfortable. By the third week or so they feel great. Works for me, but your foot size and tolerance for pain may mean that a different strategy is better.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Julian H wrote: All shoes stretch. The tighter you get them the more they stretch but is not worth destroying your feet. Not to mention you will not get better performance if they hurt wearing them. Get the 43.5 if they stretch a lot, wear them with socks.
My Miuras streched less than my Katanas.

Not really.  Synthetic uppers will conform to your foot but they won’t exactly “stretch” per se.

Chris K · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 136

As some others have said the synthetic uppers keep the Moira’s from stretching very much. If you size them tight and your foot is bigger than obviously the shoe will stretch. But with synthetic material, it will take forever. If you’re only climbing indoors or in cool temps and want a single pitch sending shoe. Then size them tight if you may. However, I think similar climbing results could be had by upsizing slightly.

In the south of Western North Carolina, I sized my miura tight for single hard one pitchers. After hiking up and feet swelling, god damn did I wish I had anything half a size bigger than those damn Miura’s.

If you are willing to stretch out and break in a tight pair, it will take a good long while!

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45

Someone I climb with sizes them super tight, then showers in them to stretch them out. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me but to each their own.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

If they are miserable when new, they always will be. Get the size that fits and don't worry about stretch.

Victor Anderson · · Wausau, WI · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

I bought mine a half size down and now I've never owned a better fitting shoe

Chris K wrote: As some others have said the synthetic uppers keep the Moira’s from stretching very much. If you size them tight and your foot is bigger than obviously the shoe will stretch. But with synthetic material, it will take forever. If you’re only climbing indoors or in cool temps and want a single pitch sending shoe. Then size them tight if you may. However, I think similar climbing results could be had by upsizing slightly.

In the south of Western North Carolina, I sized my miura tight for single hard one pitchers. After hiking up and feet swelling, god damn did I wish I had anything half a size bigger than those damn Miura’s.

If you are willing to stretch out and break in a tight pair, it will take a good long while!

Miuras are leather.  They stretch plenty.

Chris K · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 136
Ted Pinson wrote:

Miuras are leather.  They stretch plenty.

Outside sole leather. Inner is synthetic. But who am I to believe but a lonely mountain project commenter

skelldify · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 464

I've been using Muira VS for years. I'm on at least my fifth pair. They might stretch very, very slightly, but not much at all. Certainly less than 1/2 a shoe size. However, I have noticed that, as I warm up and my feet sweat a little, things slip into place. Every time I wear them, they feel uncomfortable at first, but after a warmup they feel fine. I tried a 1/2 size bigger last time, and that was a mistake. They felt perfect when I first put them on, but once I got warmed up, I could feel my feet slipping inside them a little.

That’s not necessarily due to stretching.  I wear mostly Anasazis, and they fit exactly the same on their third sole as they did out of the box.  What does change is the rubber breaks in and gets softer, which may be what you’re experiencing.  Also, downturned shoes lose their downturn - even with sick tech like P3, etc.

Sam Skovgaard · · Port Angeles, WA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 208

I've had mine for about a year, and the stretch was minimal.

Linus H · · Bay Area, CA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Mine stretched minimally. I would probably go for size 43 in yoru situation.

Nick Woodman · · Saco, ME · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 11

Mine certainly got much more comfortable as I broke them in, but they seem to fit about the same with a minimal increase in size. My lace up muiras seem to have stretched more, which is a huge bummer. They are super comfortable, but I feel like I've lost some edging and slab performance. 

John Butler · · Tonopah, NV · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5
skelldify wrote: I've been using Muira VS for years. I'm on at least my fifth pair. They might stretch very, very slightly, but not much at all. Certainly less than 1/2 a shoe size. However, I have noticed that, as I warm up and my feet sweat a little, things slip into place. Every time I wear them, they feel uncomfortable at first, but after a warmup they feel fine. I tried a 1/2 size bigger last time, and that was a mistake. They felt perfect when I first put them on, but once I got warmed up, I could feel my feet slipping inside them a little.

^^^ This.... on my 4th pair. No way do my 44.5s stretch out to 45. Maybe 44.5 to 44.6 with the exact same slight discomfort until warmed up skelldify describes.

I would add that La Sportiva is great for my foot shape, but I have partners who can never get a good fit in them.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Do Miura VS stretch?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started