Mountain Project Logo

Unopened Hilti HIT-RE 500 V3 lifespan influences

Original Post
Ian Dibbs · · Lake Placid · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 2,364

Hilti  HIT-RE  500 V3 …
Advice, knowledge and informed opinion appreciated about the lifespan of unopened (sealed) RE 500 which are hoped to be used.
Are there factors which either extend or diminish unused RE 500's lifespan ? How important are time and storage temperature to RE 500's usable lifespan ? How relevant is the "expiry date" ? Can you tell by visual inspection or consistency if the RE 500 is "good or bad" ? If "bad", does that mean RE 500 won't harden correctly or will it harden with strength loss ?  What types of degradation process are going on inside unopened packages, and are the internal degradation processes slow and gradual, or "catastrophic" ?
   Any knowledge and experiences will be appreciated.

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392

I used RE-500 for 16 years, and the V3 version for the last two.   The old version had a clear expiration date on it of one year.  I was unable to find a date on any of the V3 packets, nor was I able to find it on-line (when I looked two years ago) and the suppliers didn't think there was one anymore.  Is there one on the packets you have?  How old are the packets you have?   Are they all V3?

In a totally unscientific test of the original version, we found that three-year-old glue hardened just fine but the cure time was about twice as long.  We didn't have any equipment to do any strength tests.  

If I have an unused packet I just bury it (constant cool temp) then come back the next year and use it.   I suggest you call Hilti's tech support number.  They are VERY happy to help.

The expiry date isn't on the outer plastic packaging (where it would easily seen) it's now on the plastic body printed beside the stem where the 2 sides join. 

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Ian Dibbs wrote: The expiry date isn't on the outer plastic packaging (where it would easily seen) it's now on the plastic body printed beside the stem where the 2 sides join. I have some RE 500 within the "expiry" date but wondered what the expiry date really indicates, and if there could be unseen factors which would compromise the integrity of the RE 500 even if used within its expiry date.

I closely examined those packets and couldn't find a date.  I'll have to look again when I order more.

I still suggest calling Hilti for that kind of info.
The expiry date for Hilti RE 500 is seen printed on the flat part, you can just make out the expiry date on this tube, on the bottom row, as 01/2020
C Williams · · Sketchy, Blackvanistan · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,556

I have used RE 500 that was stored in a work van 18 months past its expiration date and it cured properly. I'd probably not do that for life critical anchors (you just never know...) but I've heard unofficially that if both parts are still "supple" and not leaking or punctured then its good to go for about 1 year past the expiration.

Not sure if the same is true for Powers AC100+ and similar?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Unopened Hilti HIT-RE 500 V3 lifespan influences"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started