Mountain Project Logo

Boulder Canyon Closure?

Original Post
ebethreegs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

I have found information re: cycling in the canyon during this two year project, but does anyone know what they will do about the climbing while they are working?

https://www.codot.gov/projects/co-119-boulder-roadway-improvements

John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 159

It would be really nice to know (at least a week in advance) when the 2-hour full-closures were going to happen.  That's a really long time to sit and wait if you're trying to commute.  I'm surprised it's ok to just close a major road with the "meh... not sure when but we'll let you know" plan.

Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 21

The CDOT recording announces closures by mile marker. If you're heading up-canyon and wondering where the closure is in relation to the crag you want to climb--because you haven't memorized the mile markers--here's a quick reference: https://www.boulderclimbers.org/news-events

T G wrote: What isn't clear is if "full closure" of the canyon means that all cars must vacate the canyon/road side during blasting times. Does anyone have any insight into this?

That's a great question.  So you're essentially asking if it's permissible to (say) park at some crag before 9am and then leave your car there while you climb until (say) 3pm, then drive out?

I have a feeling I know what the answer would be if you called and asked a county official this question.  But in practice I doubt they would have you towed... but it's definitely a risk.  I plan to test this out tomorrow or Friday and I'm a bit nervous since I have a Tesla and they're hard to tow without damaging them.  Maybe I'll just get booted.
Stephen Felker · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 552

It appears likely that this problem is set for destruction.

During the 2-hour closure the Canyon will be closed from Nederland (near Hurricane Hill) to the Boulder City limits (CO119 and Arapahoe Drive). The rock removal work will occur between mile post 39-41.
Well, this starting area from mm 39-41 is way down the canyon.  So, in spite of the fact that the entire road is closed from Ned down to Boulder, I can't imagine they'd get uptight about someone parked at (say) Animal World if they are blasting rock 7 miles down canyon?!

Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15
John RB wrote:

That's a great question.  So you're essentially asking if it's permissible to (say) park at some crag before 9am and then leave your car there while you climb until (say) 3pm, then drive out?

I have a feeling I know what the answer would be if you called and asked a county official this question.  But in practice I doubt they would have you towed... but it's definitely a risk.  I plan to test this out tomorrow or Friday and I'm a bit nervous since I have a Tesla and they're hard to tow without damaging them.  Maybe I'll just get booted.

John,

Any chance you got out yesterday? I'm getting up into the canyon this afternoon and in an ideal world, would get up to Tonnere Tower before 1, but that all depends on work today. If I manage to get out of the office at like 1:30, sitting around for an hour and a half doesn't sound super fun, but it doesn't sound like we could run up 4 mile onto Peak To Peak and come down the top of the canyon...
Shay Subramanian · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Would it be fine to hit Avalon tomorrow morning? Haven't been in the Canyon lately so not sure what's going on

Chris Johnson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15
Shay Subramanian wrote: Would it be fine to hit Avalon tomorrow morning? Haven't been in the Canyon lately so not sure what's going on

Ya, shouldn't have any problems, minus the one-lane section. Be prepared for a ton of people at Avalon though. A nice weekend day early in the season. Everyone and their mom is going to be out there.

Chris Johnson wrote:

John,

Any chance you got out yesterday? I'm getting up into the canyon this afternoon and in an ideal world, would get up to Tonnere Tower before 1, but that all depends on work today. If I manage to get out of the office at like 1:30, sitting around for an hour and a half doesn't sound super fun, but it doesn't sound like we could run up 4 mile onto Peak To Peak and come down the top of the canyon...

Sorry I ended up going to Clear Creek yesterday instead.  I didn't want to deal with the roadwork in BoCan.  I'm sure somebody went up that way though!?

Has anyone tried climbing during the closures?

If the canyon closes from 9-11am today (and it does) what's the latest they will allow cars to enter?  Are they towing cars parked in the canyon during the closures?

Charlie Westerink · · Nederland, CO. · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Bumping this thread as I haven't found an answer for it anywhere. Anyone been climbing in the canyon during the closures??

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

The several traffic jams makes it not worth it. 

Drew L · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Went to castle rock today around 5.  Took about an hour to get up there. There were 3 temporary stop lights and 1 human directing traffic through a coned off one way. The bright side is the crags seem less busy way up there because people aren't willing to deal with the roadwork

Chris K · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 136

They closed down access from the lower end while they work. Right now they close the canyon Monday through Thursday from 9:30-2pm. I was up in the canyon before 9 easily as no construction had started and left west towards Nederland without issue, albeit some traffic, around 1pm. Couldn’t go east to boulder directly.

Charlie Westerink · · Nederland, CO. · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I needed to know. Will be climbing at Cascade today, parking before 9 am. Will update here with any significant useful info. Chris K wrote:

They closed down access from the lower end while they work. Right now they close the canyon Monday through Thursday from 9:30-2pm. I was up in the canyon before 9 easily as no construction had started and left west towards Nederland without issue, albeit some traffic, around 1pm. Couldn’t go east to boulder directly.
Adam Young · · Florissant, CO · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Hey I haven’t been on mtnproject in a long time but I’m actually one of the high scalers working on the walls drilling in Boulder Canyon.    If you guys have any questions I’d be glad to try and answer or find out.

Currently the closures are Mon-Thur 10-2.  I’m sure you guys have found that out by now but I figured I’d post it all the same.     Right now blasting is only taking place at the lower end of the canyon between where the first two flaggers are located.  The rest of the canyon is getting repaved and stuff like that.   Not 100% cuz I don’t spend much time at the other closure sites.
And just a warning there is going to be road closures all day this Monday August 5th.   

AmandaM · · Jackson, WY · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 10

We are visiting Boulder and I’m still unclear if you can climb in Boulder Canyon during the closure times. We’re hoping to go to castle rock tomorrow. Are we good to go if we arrive before 10am and leave after 2pm? Thanks for any info!

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
AmandaM wrote: We are visiting Boulder and I’m still unclear if you can climb in Boulder Canyon during the closure times. We’re hoping to go to castle rock tomorrow. Are we good to go if we arrive before 10am and leave after 2pm? Thanks for any info!

Arrive by 9am and be prepared to just be up there past 2 and you are fine.

Bruce Hildenbrand · · Silicon Valley/Boulder · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 3,626

Adam,

are they going to straighten the road out a bit down there or are they just going to widen it?

PS - sorry to see the demise of the Teflon Wall!

AmandaM · · Jackson, WY · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 10

Ok, thanks Eric!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Boulder Canyon Closure? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started