Mountain Project Logo

Jtree Lost Horse Rd car break in

Original Post
Liz M. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Just got back from climbing around Rock Garden area, and extra gear that had been stashed in the back of my truck (and locked) that was stolen.

Pretty sure it was a crime of opportunity (my camper shell is not super secure) but I just wanted to put out the cautionary tale. And I wonder if it was just a one off event.

I have some suspicion it was the sedan that rolled up right behind us in the pull off because they asked where we were climbing but didn't look like they were climbing at all. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Bummer, don't hear about this happening at JTNP. Did you notify park rangers?

Abogado Chris · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 1

Sadly this is not uncommon in the park, there are a lot of meth heads out in the desert, and pawning some climbing gear is an easy way to get high. People go into the park just to steal from campers and climbers, not in frightening numbers but it does happen, it’s certainly not rare.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Abogado Chris wrote: Sadly this is not uncommon in the park, there are a lot of meth heads out in the desert, and pawning some climbing gear is an easy way to get high. People go into the park just to steal from campers and climbers, not in frightening numbers but it does happen, it’s certainly not rare.

I thought paying an entrance fee would deter most thieves. Where they could steal without paying for it. Anyway, I hadn't heard of this problem before at Joshua Tree. Never leave gear visible in your vehicle.

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 4,402
FrankPS wrote:

I thought paying an entrance fee would deter most thieves. Where they could steal without paying for it. Anyway, I hadn't heard of this problem before at Joshua Tree. Never leave gear visible in your vehicle.

Liz already said the stolen gear was stashed.  besides, if perps case their targets to make sure they're climbers and would be away from the vehicle for a long time, as being suspected, they would just break in when coast is clear to see what extra gear and other valuables might be left inside the vehicle to take, in plain sight or covered up.  they could also just not even ask and watch you hike far away and out of sight first

anyone could drive into the park for free in early morning before the entrance booth opens, usu at 8 am, and could exit the park after the entrance booth closes, which varies btwn 4 to 8 pm.  so perps could go in and out for free, and would have an entire day to perpetrate

sorry this happened to you guys, Liz.  many still trust that nothing like that would happen to their far away parked vehicle, esp inside a national park.  i certainly would be more wary when someone asks that, and wouldn't just assume it's a tourist's enthused fascination about what climbers do.  think i'd just immediately take a photo with that person in it next time and say, "what a beautiful day"

do inform the rangers.  might not get your stuff back, but could prompt the park to put up an extra layer of deterrent or two

Liz M. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

I reported it, and am checking craigslist and Ebay to see if the gear pops up. Definitely hope this stays a rare/isolated incident.

Thanks!

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Liz Moran wrote: I reported it, and am checking craigslist and Ebay to see if the gear pops up. Definitely hope this stays a rare/isolated incident.

Thanks!

People that steal should be taken apart with a blowtorch and a pair of pliers...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Jtree Lost Horse Rd car break in"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started