Mountain Project Logo

Target shooting

Original Post
Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone on here target shoot at all? With all the cool awesome spots we see and travel to for climbing, it only makes sense that you could responsibly and respectfully go target shoot on some of that blm or national forest land also. I’m a bit new to target shooting, so I’m really just asking for advice from those with experience shooting on public lands. Obviously, I want to be law abiding and respectful. Thanks!

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,974

Kyle...check the USFS website for your respective area. The USFS is pretty explicit about the rules regarding shooting. In most cases there's more emphasis or priority given to target shooting than rock climbing.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

The Forest Service has shut down a lot of the places where people used to target shoot. Too much trash, too many fires started and too little respect for other people and the environment. You’d probably have better luck out in the Pawnee National Grasslands to the north east. Also, much less chance of starting a forest fire.

Colorado is still hungover from the Lake Christine (Outside of Basalt) fire last summer that was started by someone shooting incendiary rounds. https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/2-charged-with-starting-lake-christine-fire-at-shooting-range

Go talk to the crew at Jax Outdoors in Lafayette. They’re a great local outdoor mercantile that sells everything from climbing gear to guns. They’re really friendly and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Mal

Thanks everyone. Went for a big hike up near James peak-ish on Apex Valley rd in Gilpin County yesterday. Ran across a few people shooting but there’s still TONS of snow up above 10k feet so it’s hard to get around. I did find a lot of left over brass which was disheartening. I ride my mountain bike up in that area a lot in the summer so I had an idea of where to shoot. I had fun shooting a bit up there but idk that I’d shoot up there where I did in the summer months. Thanks for the advice I’ll check out Pawnee when I’m ready to set the sights in on my new scope! 

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Man, I hoped this Target Shooting thread was regarding Drones in climbing areas

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

It's a bit like climbing, find some locals to go out with who can advise you on best places and local practice.

Safety is obvious, but less obvious is the fact that the western public lands are in states with populations that are exploding right now. Be a courteous, thoughtful gun owner, and recognize that we are approaching being a minority of the locals in many areas. Pick up not just your stuff, but the other trash, too. NO incendiary rounds, exploding targets, be very cautious driving on dry grass, anything that can start fires, be extremely careful. 

Consider looking into shooting ranges, too. If it is well run, that's good fun and a nice way to meet people! Have fun!

Best, Helen

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

There are a few "established" ranges on FS land around. I've been to about 5 around the Front Range over the years (Buffalo creek, Harris Park, Left hand, etc), and I have feared for my life on a couple occasions. I have seen people drinking heavily, aggressive dogs, and people/kids with terrible muzzle control. You have no idea who is out there, what their experience with firearms is or if they are wanted by the law. The old refrigerators, grills, boxes, etc people use for targets creates a disgusting trash dump. I think they should all be closed.    

Better off to go to an indoor or outdoor range with a range supervisor (like Cherry Creek SP, but even there I've been scared). Bristlecone shooting center in Golden/Lakewood is pricey but supervised, and they offer all kinds of classes. Basically, anywhere you have to PAY to shoot will be safer in my experience. You can often just go shooting in the national Forrest (MANY rules apply), but I think its just not worth having to worry about if I will accidentally shoot a hiker. Go to a pay-range.        

Andy Novak wrote: There are a few "established" ranges on FS land around. I've been to about 5 around the Front Range over the years (Buffalo creek, Harris Park, Left hand, etc), and I have feared for my life on a couple occasions. I have seen people drinking heavily, aggressive dogs, and people/kids with terrible muzzle control. You have no idea who is out there, what their experience with firearms is or if they are wanted by the law. The old refrigerators, grills, boxes, etc people use for targets creates a disgusting trash dump. I think they should all be closed.    

Better off to go to an indoor or outdoor range with a range supervisor (like Cherry Creek SP, but even there I've been scared). Bristlecone shooting center in Golden/Lakewood is pricey but supervised, and they offer all kinds of classes. Basically, anywhere you have to PAY to shoot will be safer in my experience. You can often just go shooting in the national Forrest (MANY rules apply), but I think its just not worth having to worry about if I will accidentally shoot a hiker. Go to a pay-range.        

I can see how you feel that way. I shoot indoors a lot too- but obviously I’m an outdoorsman, so I like being in nature and don’t mind getting out where there is little to no people. Thankfully I know a lot of remote areas as I also enjoy remote bike packing. There’s no carting old dishwashers to shoot up in that case! I hate how some people treat the outdoors, it’s strange to me how so many people can have so little respect. My biggest pet peeve is mountain bike racing and the amount of litter from racers littering their nutrition wrappers, etc. it’s shocking how much is left over! But yes I’d like to find some spots closer to home for sure, but that seems like it’s not really doable and that’s okay.

If you shoot id love to hear what you do. I’m new-ish to shooting in general. I have these for my .22 big5sportinggoods.com/store…

TJ B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26

First things first. You might wanna think about donating that .22 to the local Girl Scout troop and get something a little more adult 

TJ B wrote: First things first. You might wanna think about donating that .22 to the local Girl Scout troop and get something a little more adult 

Hahaha! I have other guns but don’t knock a .22!! They are fun to shoot! And cheap! 

TJ B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26

I’m just busting balls. But seriously, man up

TJ B wrote: I’m just busting balls. But seriously, man up

Haha. I’ll hit puberty one day soon.

BK D · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I usually just drive around on USFS or BLM land until I see a good spot with a good backstop.  Make sure there isn't a temporary fire ban, or a year-round target shooting ban in the area (usually well marked in my experience).  Don't shoot exploding targets, clean up your trash and brass and you should be good to go!  Popping off a few mags makes for a great driving break.  

BK D wrote: I usually just drive around on USFS or BLM land until I see a good spot with a good backstop.  Make sure there isn't a temporary fire ban, or a year-round target shooting ban in the area (usually well marked in my experience).  Don't shoot exploding targets, clean up your trash and brass and you should be good to go!  Popping off a few mags makes for a great driving break.  

I like your style!

I wouldn't characterize any ammo as "cheap", it's all relative. But, we sure burned up a lot more using 22 for a league, than anything bigger. My late hubby had the opportunity to fire almost everything from a tank (literally) on down, as a civilian, not even military, and 22 was still the round he used the most.

I've not been out in a great while, but, I learned to shoot as a very young child (5ish?), from my gunsmith dad. I'm packing up my husband's guns now, and will be sending them on to new homes soon. A few were my dad's, so they have more than a half century of memories.

Best, Helen

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Let Snoop school you on .22 rounds
Old lady H wrote: I wouldn't characterize any ammo as "cheap", it's all relative. But, we sure burned up a lot more using 22 for a league, than anything bigger. My late hubby had the opportunity to fire almost everything from a tank (literally) on down, as a civilian, not even military, and 22 was still the round he used the most.

I've not been out in a great while, but, I learned to shoot as a very young child (5ish?), from my gunsmith dad. I'm packing up my husband's guns now, and will be sending them on to new homes soon. A few were my dad's, so they have more than a half century of memories.

Best, Helen

You’re def not wrong!! 

Adam K · · Loveland, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

I got a .22 for some rest day fun last year. It's a little harder than I thought to find good areasnear climbing areas.  I have found to get decent shooting in on rest days or the drive in/out at South Platte, Poudre Canyon, Shelf, Rifle, and the Creek. The designated forest service ranges i've checked out are hit or miss in terms of trash, but i can see why the forest service shut down all the close-by forest areas for target shooting because a couple spots i've been to are just embarrassing.

In terms of random piles of garbage, I can tell you, it is much ​better than it used to be. The norm was to just toss crap out the window. If you had lots of it, get someone with a truck and find a convenient gully. We had the great pleasure of hearing Arlo Guthrie live in concert, for the 50th anniversary of Alice's Restaurant. He was still a great story teller, an excellent musician, and one of our favorite concerts ever.

So? Yes. Pick up yours, and other people's crap too. If you change what you ​do, other people will follow suit. We tend to run with the herd, and seeing another pick up not only their brass, but come prepared one day to lug out the dead washing machine will eventually make that ​​the new norm. I've watched this happen, the slow changes, stupid slowly at first, but, one day it simply tips the other way, seemingly overnight.

Best, Helen

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

I started shooting competition matches about a year ago. Since then, I've become a member of a private range in SLC, and have pretty much stopped shooting on public land. If you're serious about shooting for sport, I'd recommend going that route. I mostly shoot 9mm, 12 ga, and intermediate rifle calibers.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Target shooting"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started