Mountain Project Logo

5.10 Quantum sizing question

Original Post
Wes C · · Cleveland, oh · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 146

I've been trying to find a shoe for some slightly over hanging sport and Boulder problems.  I'm considering the quantums as it seems the reviews say they are good for this.  I want to stick with 5.10s as they tend to fit my feet, I prefer lace ups (I didn't like hiangles).  I have pinks in 10.5 and they fit great after breaking in and stretching.  I have Blanco's in 11s.  

I guess my question is: do the quantums stretch like the pinks?  Should I go with the 10.5 or 11? 

Thanks.

Ethan Ayer · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I'm a street size 10, and I wear my Anasazi VCS and Hiangles a size 10 as well.  My Quantum Lace ups are 10.5.  At first I ordered them in 10 but they were too tight. 

mkclimb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 416

I do hiangles at 9.5, quantums and quantum vcs at 10. Very minimal stretch.  

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

Very minimal stretch, but they stretched in the right places for my longer second toe.

I have a 9 (most)-9.5(nike running) street shoe.

9.5 in Quantums 
9.5 in Verdon
10 in Pinkies sized to be all day comfy, could .5 size down for more performance

LB Edwards · · Austin, TX · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 216

They do break it pretty well but it does take a long time, I've had mine for over a year and never soaked them, just worn them climbing and grimace through the pain. I will say, if you want nice overhang bouldering shoes check out the Hiangles, single velcro, light and sensitive they're my gym shoe now a days.

Albi Eds wrote: They do break it pretty well but it does take a long time, I've had mine for over a year and never soaked them, just worn them climbing and grimace through the pain. I will say, if you want nice overhang bouldering shoes check out the Hiangles, single velcro, light and sensitive they're my gym shoe now a days.

I wasn’t a fan of the hiangles.  I think I’m going to order the same size as my Blancos and hope for the best. 

Ahram Park · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 5

Street size for tight but comfortable fit. Half size down for uncomfortable, ten minute fit. They are nowhere near as tight as the blancos for me. 

Ansel R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 30

I wear 11s in pinks for comfort fit and 10.5 in quantum lace for performance fit. Took about 5 sessions to break in the quantums.

Well the 11s came in today and they feel the same as the Blanco's for me.  Pretty comfy with a slight arch, so hoping the don't stretch much as they fit about as good as I could hope given my foot shape.

Craig Chammings · · Cherry Hill, NJ · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Street shoe size is perfect for an all day/trad shoe with a little downturn. Has anyone else had durability issues with them? Mine had a hole popped in the rand after only a couple months of light use.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Craig Chammings wrote: Street shoe size is perfect for an all day/trad shoe with a little downturn. Has anyone else had durability issues with them? Mine had a hole popped in the rand after only a couple months of light use.

Technique is what creates holes in rands   

NorCalNomad wrote:

Technique is what creates holes in rands   

I've been through plenty of resoles in other shoes and haven't had this happen before. I do catch myself toe dragging once in a while, but I don't wear these shoes when I'm climbing at my limit (not that I wouldn't, I just don't push trad grades too often)

Ansel R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 30
Craig Chammings wrote: Street shoe size is perfect for an all day/trad shoe with a little downturn. Has anyone else had durability issues with them? Mine had a hole popped in the rand after only a couple months of light use.

Yeah had the same issue. Two months in hole popped in rand. I think it's because the rand hangs over the sole significantly so even if you're not dragging your toes, your rand is always contacting the wall. This is the only reason I won't repurchase the shoes. They're otherwise awesome.

This happens to every pair of quantums I own. From what I can tell, the rand hanging over the shoe gives it the sensitivity that they are known for. My other shoes don’t suffer the same fate. I’ve noticed that after a resole, they seem to last much longer. 

Have the holes gotten much worse with time? I'm wondering if it's worth getting them resoled early if it means the shoe won't fall apart

You lose the initial stiffness of the shoe, but the first resole/rand has lasted me much longer. Any hole in the rand will pretty much get worse, but keep in mind that as long as you don’t blow a hole in the upper you should be ok. I don’t resole until i absolutely have to. Despite resolers telling me I should resole sooner than later, yosemite bum has returned my shoes in like-new condition every time.

Have they had any trouble resoling if you try to patch the holes? I'm wondering if a dab of shoegoo would do any good

I personally havent patched holes, but I don’t see why the resolers couldn’t take it off if you did. 

Karl Walters · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 106

I wear 9.5 Hiangle, 10 Dragon and Team. Looking at these for sport or long, techy boulders. Hoping for more edging support than Hiangles, but are they that much better or should I go Anasazi VCS or Pinks?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "5.10 Quantum sizing question"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started