Mountain Project Logo

Suggestion: Add Commitment Grade to Route Finder

Original Post
Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 528

It would be awesome if the Route Finder search tool had the commitment grade as a search field.  Especially when climbing in an area one isn't as familiar with, it would be sweet to filter out everything below a desired commitment grade, if you're looking for a longer route to do.

The "number of pitches" metric sort of works for pure rock routes that are listed as such, but it doesn't work for big alpine routes with mixed modes of travel because these generally don't even list a number of pitches (because such a metric would be useless; for example, Liberty Ridge, N. Ridge of Baker, Cassin Ridge, etc.).

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Seconded. I'd be stoked on this.

Hey admins, any feedback on if this is feasible?  Since this field exists already as a drop-down it seems like it would be easy, but I'm not a software guy so I could be wrong.  Thoughts?

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Seems like it would filter out a lot of climbs that don't have commitment grades listed. Otherwise it sounds like a good idea.

eli poss wrote: Seems like it would filter out a lot of climbs that don't have commitment grades listed.

Indeed!  Luckily, anybody can make a route update suggestion to add commitment grades, or any other missing information, so it will be easy to sort that info out over time.  Perhaps this capability would encourage people to be better about adding that field, at least for route where it is appropriate (i.e. long alpine routes).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Suggestion: Add Commitment Grade to Route Finder"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started