Mountain Project Logo

Cleaning AC-100 Residue

Original Post
Drew Nevius · · Broken Arrow, OK · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,426

I wear nitrile gloves when doing bolt work with AC-100, but unavoidably glue residue has transferred over to personal hardware and left my ascender and a few biners with a tacky/sticky residue. What do you all recommend for cleaning it off? Thanks!

Fitz Fitzgerald · · Rogers, KY · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

Try nail polish remover and a Terry cloth...don't get this on any soft goods(ropes, slings, harness, etc.)  Break cleaner is good too...wear rubber gloves!

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392

I recommend not getting glue on your stuff in the first place.  Re-using a single rag to clean up excess glue just transfers the glue to you and your gear every time you touch it.  No way around it.

Regardless of the type of glue...   Cut your rag into a couple dozen 3"x3" squares (more or less) and have them handy.  Use one or two squares to wipe up each bolt placement, wipe the nozzle clean and anything else that got contaminated.  The used squares go into a plastic bag you've got hanging from your rig.   I think you'll find it keeps everything much cleaner.

Drew Nevius · · Broken Arrow, OK · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,426

That sounds like a good idea. I may try having more, but smaller, rags on hand the next time and see how that goes. Thanks!

bernard wolfe · · birmingham, al · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 265

make a dedicated clip-on pouch (old chalk bag or some such) that is your trash/spent wipe rag receptacle

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Drew Nevius wrote: That sounds like a good idea. I may try having more, but smaller, rags on hand the next time and see how that goes. Thanks!

The important thing is that, once you use a rag to wipe glue, you never touch it again.   Once a rag has glue on it, and you try to use it again, it's impossible to keep it off you & your gear.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Cleaning AC-100 Residue"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.