Mountain Project Logo

Mt. St. Helena Crags - Fire Damage Updates

Joshua de Riba · · Petaluma, CA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 15

Was up there the other day and it looks like many or most routes to the right of Black Hole Sun have been damaged and changed. From what I can tell, Old And In The Way looks much tougher than 11b. Not sure if this is even a route anymore. The first bolt is also very rusted and should be avoided. Further right, Treasure Island seemed a little bit than tougher than 12a and looked like some holds may have popped off as well. Maybe 12b now?

Not sure about the others. Will have to go back to gauge the others. Napa Valley Party Service and Bear’s Choice are likely changed as well, but I did not get onto these. 
Agreed, this crag is still very flaky and a helmet is highly recommended. You will hear and see small flakes popping off throughout the day. 

Brooks K · · on the road · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 5

Anyone been up in this area recently that could comment on the conditions? 

Shaniac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 24

Howdy Brooks, was there last weekend checking out the new crags at the Meadows. Most all of it is good to go. You can get finite details on each crag's page if it is safe or not from flaking. Where did you have in mind? There are many different crags there. The rock is a little different at each one so it really is a candy store. I was working the fire line on the Kincade fire, just across from The Far Side, and this Fall's fires never hit the climbing areas. It was all stopped before it hit.  All the burn damage you will see is from 2018. Have fun and enjoy the views!!! And a SPECIAL thank you to ALL the people you rebolted and put so much love into MSH. Your dedication really shows. THANK YOU and KUDOS!!!

Helen Wang · · Mountain View, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 75

Anyone been up to Mt St Helena recently? Have the crags been affected by the fires? Is it pretty crowded? I've heard that there are weekend climbing camps with a bunch of kids, and that there's a decent amount of flame retardant on the rock. Can anyone confirm?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Helen Wang wrote:

Anyone been up to Mt St Helena recently? Have the crags been affected by the fires? Is it pretty crowded? I've heard that there are weekend climbing camps with a bunch of kids, and that there's a decent amount of flame retardant on the rock. Can anyone confirm?

Did you read the post above yours? I think it answers your questions, except about the kids.

Eric Berghorn · · Calistoga,CA · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 968

Table Rock and Table Scraps approach trails have been closed since 10/20/20, and were directly affected by the Glass Fire to some extent.  I’m not sure how many people are ignoring the signage at the trailhead and going there anyway. The areas east of Hwy 29. (Table Rock approach) were still listed as closed last Sunday 11/30. All the areas on the west side of Hwy 29 including Mt. St. Helena proper are OPEN and were not affected by the Glass fire.  

I got a good look at Table Scraps from a distance and the crag had loads of retardant dumped directly on top of the cliff. The brush below the crag was burned right up to the base of the climbs. Table Rock climbs were likely less affected by my observations but still waiting for a first hand account.

FrankPS wrote:

Did you read the post above yours? I think it answers your questions, except about the kids.

yes, I read the entire thread. I meant the fires from fall 2020.

Eric Berghorn wrote:

Table Rock and Table Scraps approach trails have been closed since 10/20/20, and were directly affected by the Glass Fire to some extent.  I’m not sure how many people are ignoring the signage at the trailhead and going there anyway. The areas east of Hwy 29. (Table Rock approach) were still listed as closed last Sunday 11/30. All the areas on the west side of Hwy 29 including Mt. St. Helena proper are OPEN and were not affected by the Glass fire.  

I got a good look at Table Scraps from a distance and the crag had loads of retardant dumped directly on top of the cliff. The brush below the crag was burned right up to the base of the climbs. Table Rock climbs were likely less affected by my observations but still waiting for a first hand account.

Thank you!

Josh Hutch · · State of Jefferson · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 90
FrankPS wrote:

Uhhh... looks like he did but you did not. 

Jasmine Hennessy · · Bishop, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Any update on how the Bear is looking now?

Samuel Trimboli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 75
Jasmine Hennessy wrote:

Any update on how the Bear is looking now?

It's good for the most part.

The routes from the chimney to the left are good to go. 

Not sure about the quality of Black Hole Sun.

I'd stay clear of Treasure Island and the two routes to the left for now, as well as Body Snatchers.

To the right, FreeStone is a new addition to the crag, circumventing some of the worst fire damage. 

Hope that helps.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Mt. St. Helena Crags - Fire Damage Updates"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started