Mountain Project Logo

Pepper spray for dogs

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

I know I know, people are going to bring their dogs to the crag.

So this weekend while someone's rottweiler was charging me and I was backpedaling I was thinking, "it would be nice to have some way to stop this dog"

Anyone carrying pepper spray or some other dog deterrent? Pepper sprayed a dog? How did it go? Does something like an air horn work?

Maybe I've just had bad luck but the places I visit the number of aggressive, leashless, dogs seems to be increasing. I've been charged multiple times and I think I'm done hoping for good luck.

EDIT: Despite all the (not sure if serious) recommendations for firearms I've decided this is ideal: https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Strength-Protector-Deterrent-All-Natural-Effective/dp/B00AU6J68Q - has a little guard for the trigger so it should be ideal for carrying in the zippered pocket on the front of my pack. Is also not as strong as human/bear spray, so shouldn't be harmful to our canine friends/fiends.

Insert name · · Harts Location · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 46
abandon moderation wrote: I know I know, people are going to bring their dogs to the crag.

So this weekend while someone's rottweiler was charging me and I was backpedaling I was thinking, "it would be nice to have some way to stop this dog"

Anyone carrying pepper spray or some other dog deterrent? Pepper sprayed a dog? How did it go? Does something like an air horn work?

Maybe I've just had bad luck but the places I visit the number of aggressive, leashless, dogs seems to be increasing. I've been charged multiple times and I think I'm done hoping for good luck.

If you pepper spray a dog, just hope it actually has attacked you (not ran toward you).  Or you will be up to your neck in legal fees.

There was a dog with a known aggression issue toward other dogs (attacked a climbers dog) that was punted by a mountain biker who thought he was going to be bitten when the dog ran up to him, that resulted in the dog needing surgery. The owner brought him to court and he had to shell out the cost of surgery. 
Pepper spray would probably be a animalCruelty case as you are carrying it with the intent of using it on a dog now (unless Tolib underoath). I say let the dog bite you and collect the $ fromThe shit owner.
Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 520

Mountain project has been waiting for this thread for years.
I think a number 6 would be the optimal tool. Especially with the trigger locks, they’re no sharp edges or anything.
Maybe a 4 for a smaller dog. 

Clarke Conant · · Davis, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

I had a poodle sink a canine into my hammie up at Echo Lake yesterday. I was probly skiing too fast past the group, and Fido no doubt felt the call of the wild. Excellent technique on the dog's part, good thing puncture wounds don't hurt as much and heal fast.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

But how can they use it without thumbs?

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Riding my bike a dog ran out and bit me in the leg, then chased after me.
I rode out ahead and pulled out my pistol and put a round into the ground between us.
Dog stopped dead.
Owner paid for new jeans.

Pepper spray? Really?

Beretta model 21. That tiny little mouse gun has served me well. Dogs, snakes in camp, even frightened off a black bear. Never jams.

Cron · · Maine / NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 60

The dog issue will forever be a hot topic. I’m personally not a dog owner, but if I was I’d probably be a little self conscious to bring one climbing just knowing that a sizable chunk of the community seems to have very little tolerance towards them. 

Kevinmurray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

I would have shot the dog .

PosiDave wrote:

If you pepper spray a dog, just hope it actually has attacked you (not ran toward you).  Or you will be up to your neck in legal fees.

There was a dog with a known aggression issue toward other dogs (attacked a climbers dog) that was punted by a mountain biker who thought he was going to be bitten when the dog ran up to him, that resulted in the dog needing surgery. The owner brought him to court and he had to shell out the cost of surgery. 
Pepper spray would probably be a animalCruelty case as you are carrying it with the intent of using it on a dog now (unless Tolib underoath). I say let the dog bite you and collect the $ fromThe shit owner.

I'm actually serious about this. I'm not trying to harm the dog, which is why pepper spray seems ideal (it's temporary).

I imagine that yes, the problem with pepper spray is that you may need to deal with the dog owners who may or may not care about their dog more than some rando. It appears they do have dog specific pepper spray so of course, it's for dogs.

I don't think I want to get bitten, even if I get money out of it.

And this should be fairly non-controversial. If you have a nice crag dog who just lays in the sun, he's fine, I don't want to pepper spray him.

It's the charging, jaws showing, ears back, growling dog I'm worried about here. And I don't own firearms (and besides, I don't even eat animals) so shooting someones dog seems like a bad idea.

Clarke Conant wrote: I had a poodle sink a canine into my hammie up at Echo Lake yesterday. I was probly skiing too fast past the group, and Fido no doubt felt the call of the wild. Excellent technique on the dog's part, good thing puncture wounds don't hurt as much and heal fast.

That's shitty, did you stop to deal with Fido's owner? I can only imagine a dog who bites one person is gonna bite more.

A C · · Your moms house · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 185

Dont pepper spray a dog dude, spray the owner. They are the reason why the dog is the issue

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
PosiDave wrote:

That mountain biker had a shit lawyer. Self defense. Done. Police have shot people for less [with zero consequences]. 

[I'm not a lawyer but I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before]
Nick M · · Madison Alabama · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 55

im an at&t tech and we carry dog pepper spray on us. never had to use it personally but know people have and they weren't getting bit and never heard of any law suits. I have two dogs and love dogs. I've had dogs that wouldn't harm a fly and a dog that was protective and could get mean. don't bring your dog to the crag if it gets aggressive, and either way even if its the nicest dog in the world, if you have to bring the to a busy crag, keep them on a leash. 

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
Kevinmurray wrote: I would have shot the dog .

Solves nothing.  The dog's not the problem, the idiot owner is.  Hell just go buy another one and you're back at the same problem... Unfortunately you can't go around shooting people so we are stuck with the status quo.
Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Pepper spray the dog. The idea that you’re going to be sued successfully for spraying a dog that was charging you is silly. There’s a huge difference between causing harm that needs surgery to correct and pepper spray.

“It’s the owner not the dog”

So sick of hearing that stupid, stupid line. Whose fault the dog is being a threat to people is irrelevant, threats are dealt with the same way regardless of whether the dog would be nice if it just had the proper love and moral upbringing it needed as a child. 

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

Just don't pay the dogs to attack you so you can claim hate crime and become a hero of the cats

Blockhead · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 70

Unless the dog behaves as well as Hatchi leave the fucking thing at home.

Approved Crag dogs should be cute quite and the kind of animals that people enjoy having around.

If you have some annoying ugly mutt that only you think is cute you should probably think twice and leave it at home.

I wish i could bring my chimp to the crag not only would he climb harder than everyone on this site but some animals should just be kept at home period......

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I often  carry bear spray when walking my loop as my neighbors dog is an asshole.  

Rick Carpenter · · Marion, NC · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,315

I have sprayed a dog recently but I have found that a collapsible asp baton to be more effective. The spray, generic bear mace, can leave enough particulate matter floating about to make everyone in the area cough for awhile. However, the baton across the snoot worked for me in the latest incident. 

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Often dogs are coming over to you for love and affection.   You may be projecting/assuming the negative energy.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started