Mountain Project Logo

Sprinter has competition?!?

Original Post
Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1

Ford is releasing awd... adventure-journal.com/2019/…

Brandon Fields · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

I mean.. if blown transmissions at 30k miles is competition, sure..

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
David Draper · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 97

Competition for second place maybe

dug1ross · · Vancouver, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 15

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

Brandon does have a good point on the tranny issue. F150’s are the only decent vehicle ford makes now days. 

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Brandon Fields wrote: I mean.. if blown transmissions at 30k miles is competition, sure..

Amazing! The new Transit will have new transmission, and it is already failing at 30K miles!

All engines and drivetrain layouts send power through the now-common 10-speed automatic, co-developed with GM and found in just about every recently introduced or redesigned model large enough to house it. 
From ​here​​​
Christopher W · · OH · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Sprinter all the way. Just take care of them, and do the recommended maintenance, and you will be good. I’m friends with the Sprinter tech at my local dealer. A guy came in with a 2015 and it had 635,000 miles on it. Looks mint, and he’s had no issues. He did replace some emissions stuff, but that was with really high miles, and expected. Other than that, it’s been awesome. 

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

RAM Promaster anyone?

Christopher W · · OH · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
Matt Himmelstein wrote: RAM Promaster anyone?

I had one. No problems. Excellent turning radius, and nearly straight walls. Didn’t have long enough to know long term. However, I’ve read about some high mileage ones running around. 

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
Mike Mu. wrote: Aren't sprinter repairs mucho $?

Yeah, I've read plenty of threads where you can't find a mechanic and/or parts, let along the high costs involved. And breakdowns seem common too. 

Not sure why they're treated as gold.
M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Matt N wrote:

Yeah, I've read plenty of threads where you can't find a mechanic and/or parts, let along the high costs involved. And breakdowns seem common too. 

Not sure why they're treated as gold.

Mercedes turbo diesels are known to go for longer than most other motors and with great mileage to boot but really it's just another trend like beards, tats and hoppy beer. Wait for the hybrid van with built-in solar generation, that trend will take over the world.

Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

they all have issues, every brand, some you hear about more than others, there are alot of guys using the transit vans daily for commercial use with little issues, i hear of big company's with fleets of the sprinters and they are constantly down with issues.

the best thing about the ford is the ease of finding a shop to fix them or warranty them across the country since there are so many ford dealers.

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285

At least when the transmission blows it can be easily fixed nearly everywhere....unlike Sprinters...

MisterSir wrote: At least when the transmission blows it can be easily fixed nearly everywhere....unlike Sprinters...

For an easy 2-5k

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285
Justin. S wrote:

For an easy 2-5k

Compared to when Sprinters transmission blows around 100K like clockwork...?

Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,970

The bottom picture in the link above shows the vehicle equipped with a dually rear end.  Interesting.

rochafella · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

I have a 2001 Chevy 4x4 ambulance. 200,000 miles on the big block v8 and Allison tranny. No major issues yet. Sprinter people are always commenting on how much room it has and the amount of external storage. Mileage blows, but there’s always been Sprinter competition is all I’m saying.

rochafella wrote: I have a 2001 Chevy 4x4 ambulance. 200,000 miles on the big block v8 and Allison tranny. No major issues yet. Sprinter people are always commenting on how much room it has and the amount of external storage. Mileage blows, but there’s always been Sprinter competition is all I’m saying.

I’ve seen some pretty cool ambulance conversions rolling around lately out here in Cali. If you don’t mind me asking what’d you pay start to finish on it? 

Jay J · · Euelss · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 5

The AWD van has a LOT of appeal.  

I'm building out a 2006 sprinter.  It's only gotten stuck once far.  As far as I've read, 2006 was the last really good year for Sprinters.   Once I wear this van out (hoping for 9 years), maybe used AWD Transits will be available for reasonable prices!  

rochafella · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0
Justin. S wrote:

I’ve seen some pretty cool ambulance conversions rolling around lately out here in Cali. If you don’t mind me asking what’d you pay start to finish on it? 

I picked it up for dirt cheap. It was a retired private ambo and it was just sitting and the company was paying for parking. Between re-insulating and finishing it out with kitchen, wood stove, solar, futon, fridge, etc. I’ll probably have another 6-8k in it. Everything is square, real easy to DIY.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Sprinter has competition?!?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started