Mountain Project Logo

Free Solo-- Worth the Hype?

Original Post
Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

So my non-climber friends keep asking me if I've seen it and my climber friends keep telling me it's "sick" and "dope" and so on and so on.

I know it won an Oscar, but so did Titanic. You get my drift, right?

Asking climbers-- is it really worth paying to see before it's on Netflix or YouTube? I mean, I already know how it ends.

And it's really kinda lame knowing he rehearsed the thing on toprope for years before doing it. Not exactly the spirit of adventure, IMHO.

Jeff Maurin · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 40

You are about to get $12 worth of answers for a $9 ticket.  Hang on for the ride...

I enjoyed it; saw it in a theater full of climbers, so that was fun.  Good back-story and commentary by a nice cast of characters.  No a bad use of 2 hours on a weeknight.

To the 'kinda lame' comment: to each their own.  Different stakes and kind of climbing.

Cron · · Maine / NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 60

We’re really beating a dead horse now.

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 654

OP-- How many 13a's have you free soloed, rehearsed or not?

Even single-pitch-- how many?

And equivalent bouldering problems don't count.

George Hayduke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 65

Save yr money. 

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

If you consider yourself a climber, and watch movies, you should watch it. If only so you’d know for sure if it was worth it, or not.

Actually, you should have watched it a long time ago. But you are waiting for other people to give you the beta... where’s your sense of adventure?

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Troll

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Chalk in the Wind wrote: 

Asking climbers-- is it really worth paying to see before it's on Netflix or YouTube? I mean, I already know how it ends.

I watched in theater, also purchased on Amazon. So, I could record it with my phone and upload to YouTube for your subjective evaluation. Hopefully, my hands shaking from excitement will add gravitas.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
amarius wrote:

I watched in theater, also purchased on Amazon. So, I could record it with my phone and upload to YouTube for your subjective evaluation. Hopefully, my hands shaking from excitement will add gravitas.

That’s going too far. ;) I don’t regret watching it, but I don’t need to rewatch it. It is not Princess Bride. Or Kidnapping, Caucasian Style. 

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Lena chita wrote:

Kidnapping, Caucasian Style. 

Free Solo has nothing on that comedy - the special effects, and climbing scenes, are way more entertaining in KCS ;)

Howard Rice · · WI · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0

I was disappointed. Not sure that I’ll watch it again. With that said it was done really well. I just didn’t enjoy the story as much. I found Meru and The Dawn Wall to be much more enjoyable.  

Alex Frank · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

It's on Hulu, just watch it, it's not perfect but it's plenty entertaining.

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730

titanic is a fucking classic

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Wayne's World was pretty good, as I recall.

Kelley Gilleran · · Meadow Vista · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,812

The Shitty Beatles....... are they any good?

Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 179
Chalk in the Wind wrote:
And it's really kinda lame knowing he rehearsed the thing on toprope for years before doing it. Not exactly the spirit of adventure, IMHO.

By the time you read through all the trolls and movie reviews you could have just watched it ...

Don't be the guy at the crag asking everyone in sight about a route and whether he should get on it, taking 1000 opinions before making a choice.... fucking watch it and figure it out yourself....   its kinda lame you'd rehearse your expectation a lot before watching it  ... where's your sense of adventure?

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

What does your family think?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Chalk in the Wind wrote: So my non-climber friends keep asking me if I've seen it and my climber friends keep telling me it's "sick" and "dope" and so on and so on.

I know it won an Oscar, but so did Titanic. You get my drift, right?

1. It's just a damned movie. Watch it or don't. If you don't like it, no big deal.

2. Your last sentence is one of the most idiotic things written on MP in a while.
Eric Duncan · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

I agree with marc801's #2.^^^

Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098
Chalk in the Wind wrote: 

I just fell out of my chair after reading this.  Are you actually a rock climber?  Serious question.

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730
Kelley Gilleran wrote: The Shitty Beatles....... are they any good?

it’s not just a clever name!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Free Solo-- Worth the Hype?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started