Mountain Project Logo

Ice screw issue

Original Post
wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

One of my Petzl screws has a bit of corrosion or something on the front inch or so. Thought it was just cosmetic but last weekend the same screw got welded in place about 1/2 way in and wouldn’t go further. We lead 15 pitches and it only happened twice and with the same screw.

Was in hylite with a buddy last week and I had a similar issue with one of his screws which looked similar.

Any recommendations on fixing this?  It almost looks like there is some plating that came off rather than just a simple corrosion issue so not sure if polishing it will solve my problem. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

That's definitely the failure of the plating. There's not much you can do to truly fix it. If it's new, you could ask Petzl about getting it replaced, but IME they tend to be exceptionally non-accommodating when it comes to screw defects.

Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 30
Cortney L · · Englehood, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 42

was going to suggest that you could pay to have it re-plated @ a local shop but honestly it may be just as or more expensive than a new screw.

that sucks, sorry...

Mulch · · Jacobstown, NJ · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 1,259

Shouldn't be a problem aside from your screw not looking nice and pretty anymore. A lot of my screws have that same issue but still go in the ice the same as when I bought them.

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

plenty of ice screws are on sale right now...

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Sent Petzl pics and looks like there is a decent chance they will warranty it!

I have like 18 other Petzl screws and only had an issue with this one

I put my screws in front of the forced air vent when I get home but it’s possible this one didn’t fully dry.  Either way I’m stoked they might help me out.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Ice screw issue "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started