Mountain Project Logo

Who buys this crap?

Original Post
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Apparently this is some of the hawt “climbing gear” for 2019. Who buys this?!

5.Seven Kevin · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Are you angry or subliminally marketing advertisements to us?

Davis Badger · · San Luis Obispo · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 528

If I ever see anyone with a $25 bag of chalk I'm gonna string them up by the shoelaces on their TC Pro "gym shoes" 

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

Do you suffer from red point anxiety ?

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

People who wear these.
Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

Of all the things to get angry about... 

Nathan G · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 10
djh860 wrote: Do you suffer from red point anxiety ?

If your red point lasts longer than 4 hours...

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262

Instagram climbers and other social media climbers buy that sheit. Surely not the real climbers on mountain project.

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Ha, that issue came in the mail  yesterday for me as well.  Haven't had a chance to check it out yet though. 

Adam Ronchetti · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25
Jake Jones wrote: Either we're all geniuses for not buying flimsy and gaudy crap, or we're all idiots for not starting companies that make this stuff and exploiting the trendy consumerist culture in which we all find ourselves immersed and outraged at.

I’d say both. I’m not saying I’m a saint when it comes to having too much climbing gear, but at least it’s actual gear and not some gimmicks to make me trendy. 

Yep, this sums it up. There was a treat a while back for a kickstarter for these magical sleeves, if someone could find it, it was hilarious. I thought that climbers were resilient bunch, self reliant and above the daily trappings of life, but more and more it seems like that we’re just ordinary people with a hobby.
sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

The Friction Labs chalk is so ridiculous....or maybe I'm just bitter I didn't create a company that sells plain chalk for 2x the cost.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

If you’re looking for subtle reminders from your quickdraws, I think I know why you suck at redpointing.

Soft Catch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Who buys the magazine with the posted article?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Davis Badger wrote: If I ever see anyone with a $25 bag of chalk I'm gonna string them up by the shoelaces on their TC Pro "gym shoes" 

That's $25 for 10 ounces, which is cheaper per ounce than most of the other premium chalks. Sure, no price comparison to lowly block gymnast chalk.

Sloppy Second wrote: Who buys the magazine with the posted article?

I’m subscribed to both Climbing and R&I, probably for next 2 years. Every year I think that’s it, I’m done but somehow I manage to renew. I feel like since I’m not on the Gram/Twitter and don’t follow any climbers on FB, that these magazines are my way to stay in the know about climbing. It seems that it’s not.

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 262
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

I’m subscribed to both Climbing and R&I, probably for next 2 years. Every year I think that’s it, I’m done but somehow I manage to renew. I feel like since I’m not on the Gram/Twitter and don’t follow any climbers on FB, that these magazines are my way to stay in the know about climbing. It seems that it’s not.

"the know about climbing" is now a bunch of self gratifying losers on social media who live in $100k vans. Go climb more and check MP here and there and you won't miss out on any muy importante climbing accomplishments. The whole climbing scene is....... well lame.

EDIT - Apparently i cant post on this thread anymore and got the post violation LOL!

For trad climbers. Less people buying gear and having it sit in their closet for six months, then dusting it off every six months. But these people spray all the time and are the quickest to let everyone know they are a trad climber and not sport. So #1 get rid of the posers by having a trad rack buy back program and redistributing them to the "real climbers" who do the sending.
remove climbing from social media. So #2 Petition instagram and facebook to remove all climbing related posts from their data base

Well boulderersers and sport wankers..... not a whole lot to do about these scenes unfortunately due to the types of people they attract. So #3 chop all the bolts and blow up all the pebbles in world.

Simple enough fix right? Mainstream climbing = more softies climbing who think its "cool" to update their profile pics and show the world they did pull ups on rocks - SICK BRAH.

I'll stick to the "Alpine" where the real climbers still hang out and send the real gnar.

*End rant*
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
master gumby wrote:

The whole climbing scene is....... well lame.

How would you improve it?

Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

SMILE!! haha. That’s great.

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Those draw covers seem to be really useful for my lead solo redpoint attempts where I don’t have a belayer to tell me to breathe... 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Who buys this crap?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started