Mountain Project Logo

Puerto Rico Climbing

Original Post
Daniel Schmaltz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

Going to PR in early april and looking to do some sport climbing for a weekend. Can anyone recommend the best crags to check out with climbs in the 5.10-5.12 range, if you only have a weekend? Looking at Ciales and either bayamon or las tetas. Any beta and recommendations would be appreciated!

Dan

Nick McNutt · · Squamish · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 700

Ciales was great, only crag I ended up checking out but it had some really good routes and friendly locals, good bolting. The base area isn’t amazing, pretty slopy and steep but worth it for sure.

Joe E · · Maine · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

I second Ciales (Caliche). Spent a week there a month ago and had an awesome time. Really fun climbs and we had the crag to ourselves a lot of the time. Check out the routes here on MP as well as the mini guides. There are some routes that may be on one but not the other. 

Andy Burt · · Sugar Hill, GA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

Caliche is probably my favorite crag in PR. Fun routes and short approach. I also really liked Las Tetas. Good slab climbing on basalt plus two really fun bolted multi-pitch routes. Bayamón is a cool area but the climbing in the sections where we were was pretty meh.

Garth Sundem · · Louisville, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 20

If you only have limited time, consider looking up Eli Helmuth with Climbing Life Guides. He's been super involved with development and also with recovery efforts.

Daniel Schmaltz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

Thanks for the responses guys!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Puerto Rico Climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started