Mountain Project Logo

Dragonfly's in April? aka August in DMM land

Original Post
Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

I emailed DMM and was assured they would be here in April, and attached an email address   Excalibur@Mindspring.com, which came back undeliverable...

I have passed on some really good deals on small cams because I want Dragonfly's. If they delay again I am goin to be very disappointed, to say the least, and just go with the Metolius TCU's for 2019.

Eugenel Espiritu · · Pennsylvania · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,615

Needle sports has it on pre-order for april 15. needlesports.com/83566/prod…

Joe De Luca · · yucca valley · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 127

I got to hold a rack of the dragonflies and play with them, in my true opinion the wait will be worth it amazingly flexible extremely light and strong compared to the size, there are two sizes smaller than the black alien so for us who are aid climbers it's a game changer.

Michael Atlas · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20

The green is rated to 6 KN?  Wow!

. · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 30

Any specs on head width?

brian burke · · mammoth lakes, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 165

stoked to incrementally replace my c3s with these....

Chris Hill · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 94
Jackson. wrote: Any specs on head width?

I emailed them last month, and got the following reply 

“We don’t have production models yet, but the samples will be very close and they come in at a smidge under 30mm”

Black totem for reference
Chris Hill wrote:

“We don’t have production models yet, but the samples will be very close and they come in at a smidge under 30mm”

How is that compared with other small cams (Aliens, Totem)? I don't have any frame of reference...thx

Joe De Luca · · yucca valley · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 127
Jackson. wrote: Any specs on head width?

That were the the same head width as aliens 

. · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 30
Chris Hill wrote:

Black totem for reference

Thanks Chris, so the head is not on par with the width of c3's... Bummer

Jaren Watson wrote: Just bumping to follow. If anyone hears updated information, please post.

Like Buck, I have been waiting for the Dragonfly to be released, but I’m just about to say to hell with it and just pick up something else.

I am guessing/hoping/praying that the wait will be worth the hype.  I am going to wait until the end of April before ordering something else. I have seen the prototypes and they look sweet. I am going for the middle three sizes. I would never use the smallest, and have the largest size in triple C3/Mastercam already.

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 509
https://www.campsaver.com/dmm-dragonfly-cam.html
Campsaver has the shipment availability listed as 7-19 days.
LB Edwards · · Austin, TX · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 216
bkozak wrote: https://www.campsaver.com/dmm-dragonfly-cam.html
Campsaver has the shipment availability listed as 7-19 days.

And they are offering 20% off of orders, I pre-ordered the 3 smallest with the discount.

Big Money.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

I talked to Lisa at excaliber a few days ago and her current best estimate for drivers date is now May 15. Hopefully. 

Christopher W · · OH · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

I don’t know much about DMM, but how’s the quality? They say they are the last company to make them in the UK, but doesn’t Wild Country make their cams in the UK?

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Christopher W wrote:but how’s the quality? 

Excellent. 

Christopher W · · OH · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
Jared Chrysostom wrote:

Excellent. 

Better or the same as WC? I’m building my first rack, and want to do it right the first time. Thanks for the response!

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Christopher W wrote:

Better or the same as WC? I’m building my first rack, and want to do it right the first time. Thanks for the response!

I’m newish also so I can’t speak with a ton of authority, but everything I have purchased from DMM has been of excellent quality and seems to be thought through very well. The Alloy Offsets and Peenuts can fit in almost any placement, my Dragon II cams just feel like they’re engineered and built to a high standard, and the Torque Nuts have a really useful extendable sling and can fill in for doubles on cams when you’re climbing moderate routes. 
One of my climbing buddies just bought a set of New Friends, and I have not used them yet, but the extendable sling definitely offers less extension than the one on the Dragons. 
Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 509
Christopher W wrote:

Wild Country makes great gear and you can't go wrong with their stuff, but I'm a huge DMM fanboy.  They don't make mediocre stuff that's made just to fill a hole in their line-up but rather they put a lot of thought in to their gear and try to offer innovative products.  

But all in all, any major manufacturer is going to make quality gear (Metolius, BD, Wild Country, DMM, Petzl, Trango) it just depends on what specific gear you're looking for and what your personal preferences are.  Best thing is to climb with others and see what gear you like and dislike.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Christopher W wrote: I don’t know much about DMM, but how’s the quality? They say they are the last company to make them in the UK, but doesn’t Wild Country make their cams in the UK?

IMO DMM's craftsmanship is the best in climbing. They tend to be a bit pricier than WC or BD but if you can afford it then you won't be disappointed. 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Christopher W wrote: I don’t know much about DMM, but how’s the quality? They say they are the last company to make them in the UK, but doesn’t Wild Country make their cams in the UK?

Wild Country have no production (or anything else) in the UK. They belong to Salewa in Italy.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Dragonfly's in April? aka August in DMM land"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.