Mountain Project Logo

Best Camping Alternatives to Miguel's @ The Red?

Original Post
matvey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 55

Don't get me wrong, I love Miguel's! Just curious if there are any other great camping spots worth checking out that aren't too far from Muir Valley, for example...

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

Land of the Arches

Andrew Reed · · CaƱon City, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 56

If you plan on climbing in the PMRP/BRRP as well I’d look into Lago Linda’s. 

Paul Coakley · · KY · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

If you want really close to Muir.  Fincastle campground is on Muir's entry road.  It's really small though.
Agree Lago Linda's is great!
Whittleton is also pretty good, but you're paying State park prices.

Marco Velo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Natural Bridge StateResort Park  is  just down the road from Miguel’s, but iI recall it being expensive and usually requires prior reservations—at least in the summer on a weekend. Like $30/night for a tent site. 

Luca Keushguerian · · Yerevan, AM · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 2,817

If price isn't an issue I'd check out Bedrock, you could walk to Muir if you wanted to. It's fairly new and I haven't stayed there but I heard that it's a great place. Land of Arches would be next closest to Muir. They did up the rate to 8/night which can seem a bit steep for such few amenities that are provided. Cheapest option would be to buy a camping permit and just camp in the north gorge, there are many beautiful campsites along fs-9b. If you're gonna spend most of your time in the PMRP I'd suggest Lago Linda's. If you want some place closer to "civilization" try camping behind the Daniel Boone Coffeshop. They have a lot to offer including the best coffee you can get around those parts!

Paul Coakley · · KY · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

Did they rename Fincastle on Muir Rd. to "Bedrock" or is that a different place?

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Paul Coakley wrote: Did they rename Fincastle on Muir Rd. to "Bedrock" or is that a different place?

Different place entirely. Bedrock is more of a hostel than campground. They have private and shared rooms, and a common area with kitchen/hangout. It is pricey for a hostel. If I remember, a bed in shared room will be about $30 per person. For a couple that plans on eating out for the weekend, it is not any cheaper than Lil Abners. But if you are traveling alone, want to cook, and prefer to sleep in a bed, instead of a tent, it is an upgrade. 

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1,041

I've always stayed at Land of the Arches.  Super cool place.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Best Camping Alternatives to Miguel's @ The Red?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started