Mountain Project Logo

climbing first few weeks of march? Want to do multi pitch!!

Original Post
theradone c · · Nashville, TN · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hey all,
I have the first few weeks of march off, specifically the 1st-10th and I would like to get some experience multi pitching. I am 5.11-12 sport climber consistently in the gym, and 10-11 outside, but I have never done any multi pitch. I have followed trad routes with friends on single pitch as well. This summer I will be climbing the tetons (with a guide) and to be able to save money and decrease the "ground school" from 2 days to 1 I have to show I know the basics of multi pitch. Im interested in getting some practice with a willing mentor who wants to climb during these dates! 

Nic Scharping · · Greer, SC · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 10

What area are you in?

Sorry I forgot to mention. I'm in Nashville but obviously willing to drive.

Nic Scharping · · Greer, SC · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 10

I'd climb at Rumbling Bald the 2-3 or 9-10 if you want to make the drive down. The routes are mostly 2-3 pitches with either bolted belays or trees. Otherwise, did you have a spot in Tennessee in mind?

Rick Carpenter · · Marion, NC · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,315

Rumbling Bald, linville gorge or Looking Glass would be fun. hmu if you make it to NC

I would love to do looking glass or linville! rumbling bald looks pretty sweet too but it all looks like kind of a crappy weekend weather wise. 

Ranger Rick · · Lexington, KY · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 44

A couple 2-5 pitch routes in the Red. If you're in Kentucky send me a PM.

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1,041

Definitely recommend the easier stuff Linville.  I'm assuming you will be going up probably Owen Spalding or Exum Ridge.  By going with a guide, you don't have to have the entire skill set dialed in.  But some experience is always good.  The best thing to learn is cleaning gear efficiently.

Curtis Baird wrote: Definitely recommend the easier stuff Linville.  I'm assuming you will be going up probably Owen Spalding or Exum Ridge.  By going with a guide, you don't have to have the entire skill set dialed in.  But some experience is always good.  The best thing to learn is cleaning gear efficiently.

Yes we are doing the Exum Ridge. Should be easy climbing/scrambling. However, the guide service has a mandatory 2 day ground school, however if you know the basics of multi pitch they agreed to decrease it to 1 day and charge us half, that's why a little experience may be the best!

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

5 pitch routes in the Red? You sure about that?

Tim Gruber · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
Brandon.Phillips wrote: 5 pitch routes in the Red? You sure about that?

Foxfire is a 5 pitch 5.7 in the red.

Jeff Dull · · Elkhart, IN · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 10
Tim Gruber wrote:

Foxfire is a 5 pitch 5.7 in the red.

Jeff Dull · · Elkhart, IN · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 10

Fun route. Did it 30yrs. ago, wearing pink tiger striped tights, topping out to a biker gang. Interesting times back then.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "climbing first few weeks of march? Want to do m…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started