Mountain Project Logo

New Arc'teryx Ice/Alpine Pack - Spring 2019

Original Post
AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

Alpha AR 35L climbing pack.  They're supposedly making this in a 20L version, too.  The material is completely different from their current Alpha FL series & according to this article, this "miracle" pack fabric is a "decade in the making."
bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145

i was climbing this evening after work and bitching that all the 40ish liter packs on the market are "meh"
This looks great

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311

Be still my beating heart, a dead bird alpine pack with a brain, load stablizer straps, compression straps, and a padded hip belt?!? Maybe we can have it all. I know I just don't understand but I was never a fan of the brainless FL30/45 to collect rain/snow and with one pocket barely big enough to hold a phone.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

Just in case you haven’t seen the ME Tupilak packs, they are nice as hell. My 37 has a real world non-stripped scale weight of 825g. More comfy than the Arc’ FL 45.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/tupilak-pack-features

Fredrik Ehne · · Stockholm, Sweden · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Revolutionary new fabric and it's still heavier than my patagonia ascensionist? Come on. Though I guess it's sturdier as well. 

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Fredrik Ehne wrote: Revolutionary new fabric and it's still heavier than my patagonia ascensionist? Come on. Though I guess it's sturdier as well. 

Many fabrics are heavier than a wet paper bag....

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Now they just gotta make this in a 50L. 

Ira OMC · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 273

Looks sweet... do you know if there is a larger model as well? 35 liters is never quite enough for me.... 

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255
Ira O wrote: Looks sweet... do you know if there is a larger model as well? 35 liters is never quite enough for me.... 

According to the linked article, Arc'teryx only plans on releasing this new pack in a 35L & 20L.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

As the article points out LCP's are nothing new it sounds like they have gone for some form of multi polymer filimant which is why it was years in the making, interesting tech though a bit pointless in this packs fabric considering it already incorporates what appears to be a uhmpe rip stop(no it doesn't the rip stop is the LCP) I see future applications with designs that feature extensive use of tpu laminates.

Got talking to a arcteryx designer in cham today, the ripstop is vectran, so similar strength to kevlar(not as high as dyneema), high thermal stability with a loss of strength at 220c, I think this confirms my thoughts of a big future in tpu laminates for arcteryx packs, this entire pack is a proof of concept. I would hold off for 2020.

JDMCO · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

cool, a new small Nozone.

Dylan Stuart · · Juneau, AK · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 444
AlpineIce wrote:
Alpha AR 35L climbing pack.  They're supposedly making this in a 20L version, too.  The material is completely different from their current Alpha FL series & according to this article, this "miracle" pack fabric is a "decade in the making."

I will probably spend a decade making enough to buy it...

Jordan Whitley · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 240

and it has gear loops on the waist strap... that is a sick a pack. 

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Now that this pack is out does anyone have any experience with it?  I'm looking for a new pack for the summer in the Cascades.

Genie Genie · · In A Bottle · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Brian Abram wrote: Just in case you haven’t seen the ME Tupilak packs, they are nice as hell. My 37 has a real world non-stripped scale weight of 825g. More comfy than the Arc’ FL 45.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/tupilak-pack-features

How's the durability of your tupilak?

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

No complaints. Seems to be tougher than the FL30/45 fabric

bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145
Christian Edstrom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

100g less than my BD Speed 40?  Not sure I see the value there.  

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
gumbie gene wrote:

How's the durability of your tupilak?

I have a friend who immediately managed to rip a large hole in his tupilak and I have heard other people talk of poor durability. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Interesting move by Arcteryx - they are entering a VERY crowded part of the market by making this kind of pack.  There are endless options available that are very similar to this.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "New Arc'teryx Ice/Alpine Pack - Spring 2019"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started